Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945223 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7170 on: February 04, 2014, 07:32:37 pm »

PS: 42 inferior brains and not one superior brain is ridiculous, particularly the extractor is such a pain in the ass to use. I swear, sometimes I clearly hit the enemy with it but it does nothing (never mind that they could be too close to get hit with the beam, as happens more often with rifle guns), on top of the inconvenience of its low damage virtually necessitating switching back and forth from it and real weapons, with the (probably intended but otherwise) inexplicable delay before it can be used and high energy cost.
Heh. I got a superior brain on my first kill.

Not even joking.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: February 04, 2014, 07:37:18 pm »

I just wish there was something you could do with inferior brains. Maybe eating them or something.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: February 04, 2014, 07:51:07 pm »

You could use the Lantern on a Stick at night and a flashlight, assuming you have a 1H weapon in your central slots. (or a two-hander there and switching between it and flashlight) That gives you enough light to see whats near you, but for mining you either have to dig more or bring brighter light sources with you.

Unfortunately the lantern or lantern/flashlight is not nearly enough. I am looking for something that would, for example, change night from "gameplay altering" to "mere ambiance." I guess similar to what you see in most MMOs, where nightime is mostly just a tinting.

The sheer darkness of Starbound might not be such a problem if I had Terraria's "shift" tool convenience, something that I sincerely hope will get added back to Starbound. (I could see this sort of thing being a tech-ish thing, even; really, I can see a lot of such convenience things/items/functions being implemented as techs, although it would require many more tech slots as well as the ability to have more than one active a time, and probably the ability to research them independent of simply being found.)

That said, there are mods for brighter backpack lanterns and one for a 360-degree flashlight which is pretty nice, so I've heard.

I think I saw that in my cursory googling, but unfortunately it was a head item. I guess it shouldn't be too difficult to just make it a back item for my personal purposes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:52:53 pm by Niveras »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: February 04, 2014, 07:53:29 pm »

Nightvision goggles exist as a mod.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: February 04, 2014, 07:55:20 pm »

Here's a mod for brighter back lights. Though the highest tiered ones are a bit OP'd, combining light, heat, and warmth. And one of them has an annoying parachute effect.

Does anyone thing the microphone instrument sounds really, really bad?

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: February 05, 2014, 01:35:36 am »

Microphones generally sound silly. Not...bad, just very, very silly.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7176 on: February 05, 2014, 02:02:07 am »

I sure hope it's intended that you'll eventually be able to change your beam-down point on a planet. It's just ridiculous (not to mention irritating) that your ship is only capable of beaming you down to one specific place over and over again. Is that something that can be modded? I imagine if it were, then it would have been made by now, but I don't see it anywhere...

EDIT: And how does one obtain the lantern on a stick?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:41:02 am by Sappho »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: February 05, 2014, 03:51:46 am »

Changing beam-down location is one of the top requests since ever. They say they're figuring out how to do it, just might take a little bit to implement.

Lantern on a stick is craftable from the work table once you kill the UFO and craft the tier 2 navigation upgrade.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: February 05, 2014, 04:03:02 am »

Changing beam-down location is one of the top requests since ever. They say they're figuring out how to do it, just might take a little bit to implement.

Lantern on a stick is craftable from the work table once you kill the UFO and craft the tier 2 navigation upgrade.
Which really makes me question the intelligence of the player characters.

You can craft lanterns as soon as you get iron. Why do you need an encounter with a UFO and the creation of an advanced metalworking station to figure out that it'd be neat to tie one to a stick and wear it on your back?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: February 05, 2014, 04:38:47 am »

Which really makes me question the intelligence of the player characters.

You can craft lanterns as soon as you get iron. Why do you need an encounter with a UFO and the creation of an advanced metalworking station to figure out that it'd be neat to tie one to a stick and wear it on your back?

* Hunt-Singer clinks the glass walls of flame-cage with his stabby-slasher
"Ssstab..?"
Love, scriver~

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7180 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:29 am »

Hm... There are some really lovely varieties of cobblestone in the game, yet when I mine them, they all transform into ugly boring light gray cobblestone.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is this a bug? Should I report it?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: February 05, 2014, 11:36:41 am »

Sure, go ahead.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: February 05, 2014, 11:54:07 am »

Thought I'd pass this along:
Tiy, Bartwe, and Molly did an Ask Me Anything on reddit regarding the "Future of Starbound" post from yesterday. There's some pretty interesting plans for stuff that will probably make it into the game someday, so if anyone wants to read over it, the main topic is stickied here. The robot-generated summary post is available here, though I haven't looked over the summary for completion.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: February 06, 2014, 08:17:02 pm »

Hm... There are some really lovely varieties of cobblestone in the game, yet when I mine them, they all transform into ugly boring light gray cobblestone.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is this a bug? Should I report it?
That's been in since the game came out.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: February 06, 2014, 08:52:36 pm »

I found the "rabbit people" (to me they look more like fleas, for some reason) on a planet myself, now. Surrounded by rainbow palms and neonmelons. A connection to the rainbow biome suggested.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 565