Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945017 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7020 on: February 01, 2014, 10:09:27 am »

I don't play very often, because it doesn't run on my laptop, and I don't use my desktop much.

As for meteors, as long as you see any other kind of weather on a planet, there won't be meteors.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7021 on: February 01, 2014, 10:30:29 am »

I've heard that that was disproved, that meteors can fall on planets with rain, though it is less likely. In any case, it can take real-life hours of gameplay before any weather at all shows up on a planet. Apparently they were planning to add something that makes it obvious what kind of weather a planet will have, but they didn't implement it yet.

I sent the creator of that meteor mod a message begging him to update it for the current version. Until I can fix this, I'm not going to play. It's too frustrating.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: February 01, 2014, 11:30:25 am »

Losing money is not a harsh penalty. If you make everything needed to boost your mother to top tier armor then she can build to her hearts content on tier one worlds. The tier 5+ items that unlock ore can be loaned. They are not consumed when used. The lower tier boss drops come in stacks of 5, so making those consumables can be done 5 times.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: February 01, 2014, 11:33:08 am »

The best kind of weather is the kind that rains shiny rainbow arrows.

e: Just as an aside to Sappho: Modding Starbound (at least as far as altering existing values goes) is absurdly simple and very quick. The only other game I could even remotely claim to have modded is a set of DF raw edits I made to give myself a bit more flavor, and this is just as easy.  Literally just 1. unpack assets, 2. open file, 3. search for your target, 4. make your change to the listed values. It's like a slightly less user-friendly version of an options window.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:36:08 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: February 01, 2014, 11:39:12 am »

Losing money is not a harsh penalty. If you make everything needed to boost your mother to top tier armor then she can build to her hearts content on tier one worlds. The tier 5+ items that unlock ore can be loaned. They are not consumed when used. The lower tier boss drops come in stacks of 5, so making those consumables can be done 5 times.

Money Loss is a harsher penalty earlier on when it can actually mean spending 30+ minutes killing things just to re-earn the pixils so you can afford things.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: February 01, 2014, 11:44:52 am »

So I fired up the game first time since the newest update, select the floran race, hit random, and...
Spoiler: D'awwwww (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: February 01, 2014, 11:52:24 am »

Money Loss is a harsher penalty earlier on when it can actually mean spending 30+ minutes killing things just to re-earn the pixils so you can afford things.

Once you can turn ore into pixels it's not an issue. Once you get armor and weapons it's not a big deal. All those things Sappho can give to her mother.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7027 on: February 01, 2014, 11:54:48 am »

Exactly. Sure, if you have the time and skill to make it to the higher tiers, then yes, a little pixel loss here and there is no big deal. If it takes you hours just to get to the point where every monster on the screen doesn't kill you (as is the case for me), then every little setback is a problem. So yeah, if I get up to the higher tiers, I can make it easier for my mother. But I, like my mother, don't care for the combat or the grind. I don't have the time or the skill to struggle up to the top of the game right now. I just want to build stuff without fear of dying all the time. Right now, the only way to do that is to cheat, which I still can't bring myself to do. Yet it would be a simple thing for the devs to add a mode for casual players. Very simple, and it would make the game appeal to a much wider audience.

I still don't see any reason why anyone should oppose my suggestion. It seems reasonable to me. It would make people like me happy, without ruining the game for anyone else. Your response, BigD145, is essentially saying "it's easy to make the game playable for a casual player. All you have to do is be really good at the game the way it is now, and have the spare time to grind up to the top levels, at which point your problem becomes irrelevant." It's like a rich person telling poor people "all you need to do is make a few good investments on the stock market, and your problems will be solved. What are you complaining about?" Sure, making more money is easy when you already have lots of money. But that doesn't help the people who DON'T have that already.

It's like the fuel cost for the ships. It seems like little more than a punishment for new characters. Once you've got yourself kitted out and are off trotting around the universe in your Tier 5 armor, finding enough fuel for the ship is trivial. You'll get it as a matter of course. It's only when you first start out that it's difficult. You can have a great time playing this game as an explorer or builder, but ONLY once you've jumped over a number of hurdles first. And I just don't see why those hurdles should be necessary for the players who don't enjoy them.

I feel like playing the game is work rather than play, for the first 5 or 6 hours of any given character. I have to grind through this miserably unpleasant nonsense in order to get to the fun part. Solution? Casual mode. With that, everyone would be happy and the game would accommodate different playstyles without making the game any less fun for anyone.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: February 01, 2014, 12:29:03 pm »

It's geared more for parties if you want to ease the grind. Someone tanks. Someone uses a bow. That sort of thing. Yes, there's about 10 hours or so to solo grind and work up to what is now top tier. How many hours does that set you up for? Only you can answer that. I would say install the sandbox ship mod. That is currently an untouchable building spot. Tunneling straight down from ship spawn on any planet will give you materials with little to no risk.

For any game, you play it how the game devs made it. If you don't like it then the game isn't for you. Move on. There's a backlog of over thirty years of videos games to look through to find something for you. OR you can ask someone to give you a leg up in Starbound. Is this cheating? You're asking for casual mode. Getting all tiers unlocked would be close to that. As close as you're going to get right now. If that's too casual for you then a diamond pickaxe and a top tier weapon would allow you to skate through most of the game. Pick up the Hole Drill mod and you'll save yourself more time. It digs a 2 x 150 block shaft and gives you every block it digs.

(The Stock Market is legalized gambling and takes more than 10 hours of gathering info to get the house odds. It takes 18 years if you're born into wealth. You get to sit on your ass, but it still takes more than 10 hours.)

All things require time and this is just a game. I'm not asking the impossible here.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7029 on: February 01, 2014, 12:41:00 pm »

It's geared more for parties if you want to ease the grind. Someone tanks. Someone uses a bow. That sort of thing. Yes, there's about 10 hours or so to solo grind and work up to what is now top tier. How many hours does that set you up for? Only you can answer that. I would say install the sandbox ship mod. That is currently an untouchable building spot. Tunneling straight down from ship spawn on any planet will give you materials with little to no risk.

For any game, you play it how the game devs made it. If you don't like it then the game isn't for you. Move on. There's a backlog of over thirty years of videos games to look through to find something for you. OR you can ask someone to give you a leg up in Starbound. Is this cheating? You're asking for casual mode. Getting all tiers unlocked would be close to that. As close as you're going to get right now. If that's too casual for you then a diamond pickaxe and a top tier weapon would allow you to skate through most of the game. Pick up the Hole Drill mod and you'll save yourself more time. It digs a 2 x 150 block shaft and gives you every block it digs.

(The Stock Market is legalized gambling and takes more than 10 hours of gathering info to get the house odds. It takes 18 years if you're born into wealth. You get to sit on your ass, but it still takes more than 10 hours.)

All things require time and this is just a game. I'm not asking the impossible here.

The devs have this open beta in part to gather feedback and suggestions from the community, some of which have already been implemented. There's nothing wrong with me making a suggestion, especially one that would widen the potential audience of the game and increase many people's enjoyment of it. They have clearly put a lot of time and energy into making the building and exploration possibilities really impressive, but currently it's gated so only players who have time and skill at combat can really enjoy it. I suggest a modification to that which would do nothing to harm the game for people who like it the way it is, and which would require minimal effort on the part of the developers to implement.

I'm very pleased that you're satisfied with the way the game is now, and that you have 10+ hours to sit and grind at it. That doesn't mean that everyone in the world needs to just deal with the parts they don't like, without asking that modifications be made. The devs will make the changes they decide to make, and in the end all I can do is suggest, and make do with the modding tools and such that become available.

By all means, enjoy the game the way it is. But there's no need to criticize my (or others') requests and suggestions. I'm not suggesting that your fun be ruined. I'm just trying to increase my own. I'm not asking the impossible, here, either.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: February 01, 2014, 12:50:28 pm »

BigD, you really wouldn't believe how little some people have time for stuff like video games. I know people who barely manage to scrape 10 hours together in a month. They simply don't have time for that amount of grinding, that's why they're called casual gamers. You may not be asking the impossible here, but what you are asking is for those people to spend a month not having fun. And the fun they have afterwards is simply not worth the relatively huge investment.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7031 on: February 01, 2014, 01:04:24 pm »

BigD, you really wouldn't believe how little some people have time for stuff like video games. I know people who barely manage to scrape 10 hours together in a month. They simply don't have time for that amount of grinding, that's why they're called casual gamers. You may not be asking the impossible here, but what you are asking is for those people to spend a month not having fun. And the fun they have afterwards is simply not worth the relatively huge investment.

Eloquently put, thank you. And yes, as long as the game remains the way it is, it will not be very accessible to casual gamers without heavy modding (which casual gamers like me also don't have much time for). But as long as there's the possibility that the game might be changed to suit the needs of its players, which is precisely the current situation, I'm going to keep making suggestions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: February 01, 2014, 02:10:20 pm »

Oddly enough once I used a sword and shield I have a hard time imagining two handed weapons being preferred.

Especially against ranged enemies and bosses.

Do two handed weapons get a huge boost or abilities lately I am unaware of? or is the shield's usefulness due to a glitch?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7033 on: February 01, 2014, 02:12:36 pm »

I always end up with 2-handed weapons, just because they have the highest damage. I haven't really tried a shield, so I can't speak to the difference. Perhaps I should change.... Hmm...

EDIT: I've started keeping a log of this character. Should I start a new thread in the community games subforum?

I want to wait until I get anti-meteor protection before going further, but the fact is, I won't have time to play during the week, so I have to make use of the time I have. It means exploring and digging rather than building for now.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:18:17 pm by Sappho »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: February 01, 2014, 02:21:20 pm »

Sappho is talking about sandbox building. I know how much time you can sink into that. SOOOOO much time just to build a simple two story house if you want it to actually look good and not like two cardboard boxes stacked on each other. Casual gamers actually end up sinking a lot of time into their chosen games. They're not spending a month not having fun. They're spending ten hours in a particular game not having fun.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oddly enough once I used a sword and shield I have a hard time imagining two handed weapons being preferred.

Especially against ranged enemies and bosses.

Do two handed weapons get a huge boost or abilities lately I am unaware of? or is the shield's usefulness due to a glitch?

I've seen two handed weapons block gun fire, so you get the range/arc of a two hander and almost a shield.
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 565