Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944660 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7005 on: January 31, 2014, 04:05:25 pm »

Is there a way to synthesise coal other than unrefined wood in a furnace? I'm having the most ridiculous difficulty finding any.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: January 31, 2014, 04:15:32 pm »

Spelunkers typically have problems with the cold. It's a steady temperature down there but that temperature is chilly. Especially if you get wet, which can be life-threatening if you don't attend to drying out and warming up.

Note: This is all just stuff I've heard. I'm not a speleologist of any caliber. I did walk the lower half of the Ape Cave, one of the longest lava tubes in North America, but that's the most cavey thing I've ever done.

Well i did do some amateur spelunking and i can tell you that yes the cold can and IS a treat in underground caves. Even at the end of summer there was still big chunk of ice and i wasnt deep at all, the ceiling was about 15 feet ish underground with the exit not that far. The deeper i went, the colder it was, hovering between -4 to 4 depending if there was an air shaft close by.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7007 on: January 31, 2014, 04:18:51 pm »

Oh, wow, the new Floran villages are gorgeous! I'm currently hanging out at the top of a literal tree-house, keeping warm by the primitive cookfire and waiting for the sun to come up because apparently this desert planet drops to insanely frigid temperatures at night.

Say, what level of warmth do you need to stop freezing every night? I've got the best armor I can get at tier 1 and I still only have 4 protection. I could hunt animals for skins for the next 8 hours but, as I mentioned before, I really don't have the spare time necessary for that sort of nonsense. (And for whoever suggested carrying around a bed and encasing onesself in dirt whenever one's health is low - I already do that. I still die all the time. I have shit armor and poor reflexes. I die all the time. And even if I get to a bed in time, sitting there waiting for my health to slowly replenish is a waste of my time. Hence my desire for a casual mode, so I don't have to spend real-life hours of my life waiting for my health meter to gradually fill up...)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:21:50 pm by Sappho »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: January 31, 2014, 04:25:46 pm »

No bandages? Surface caves usually have plenty of vines. It's easier to hunt using the hunting knife for leather.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: January 31, 2014, 04:28:52 pm »

Is there a way to synthesise coal other than unrefined wood in a furnace? I'm having the most ridiculous difficulty finding any.
Would you happen to be using the Industrialization mod? Flying Dice said the same thing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: January 31, 2014, 04:30:58 pm »

The eyes for the Nekos ruin it for me.
Reverting the eyes seems to be almost trivially easy if you don't mind modifying two .png files.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: January 31, 2014, 04:32:31 pm »

Reverting the eyes seems to be almost trivially easy if you don't mind modifying two .png files.
oh i would do that, i dont like overwriting modder's work though, feels dirty.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: January 31, 2014, 04:50:06 pm »

They're catgirls. Doing dirty things to them is why they exist.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: January 31, 2014, 05:07:18 pm »

From the download page:
"Mod Assets Permissions:Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent."
So it isn't dirty in this case.

On a different subject, I don't suppose there's a way to make stairs behave like they do in Terraria? I haven't seen any mods that deal with this, and my brief search through the asset files didn't turn up anything having to do with actor movement specific to stairs/platforms.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: January 31, 2014, 05:11:36 pm »

Would you happen to be using the Industrialization mod? Flying Dice said the same thing.
Just as a note, this only applies up until around Delta sector. So basically just burn through the first few tiers and you're fine.

-snip-
If you're really that focused on skipping the grind and aren't going to alter values yourself, download the Creative Mode mod. It gives you a couple cheat workshops that let you spawn and duplicate items. Basically you've got "normal play", "mod things yourself to fit your preference", and "cheat yourself up to the level where you can enjoy the game". Not much more to say if you don't like any of those options. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: January 31, 2014, 09:47:34 pm »

So I wouldn't mind installing some mods, but I want to know: Will I have to delete existing characters to make them work?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: January 31, 2014, 09:50:29 pm »

Varies from mod to mod. Bigger mods, especially ones that alter quests, require new characters. Do you have to DELETE old ones? No, probably. But depending on the mod, strange things could happen. Or nothing except they don't get the new stuff. Or it could work perfectly fine with old characters.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7017 on: February 01, 2014, 03:54:31 am »

If you're really that focused on skipping the grind and aren't going to alter values yourself, download the Creative Mode mod. It gives you a couple cheat workshops that let you spawn and duplicate items. Basically you've got "normal play", "mod things yourself to fit your preference", and "cheat yourself up to the level where you can enjoy the game". Not much more to say if you don't like any of those options. :|

Yeah, I might go for that creative mode mod then. Just to bypass the frustration at the start. If I had time to mod, I'd have time to grind. : )

In any case, the point I was trying to make was not that the game is impossible for me to enjoy. Of course I can find ways to make it work if I put in enough effort. My point was just that since they'd added these "modes," I don't see any reason not to include a casual mode. It would make the game appeal to a much wider audience - my mother, for example. I've been trying to persuade her to try the game ever since I got it, since we never found a replacement for Glitch (the only positive part of my relationship with her was playing that game across the ocean, and it was suddenly and unexpectedly shut down a year or so ago). She doesn't like combat and danger, just building and exploring.

Appealing to a wider audience = more money for the developers. When appealing to a wider audience is a simple matter of adding a new game mode where dying doesn't happen as often or have such harsh penalties, and the start of the game is made a little easier with the simple addition of a few more pieces of starting equipment, then I can't for the life of me understand why they don't do that.

On a different note, the name the RNG provided for my new glitch character was "Gold Sigh." Awesome.

I'm tempted to start a Floran character, though. So far I've tried Floran, Apex, and Glitch, and Floran is by far my favorite. They're hilarious, badass, awesome. And now that I see their new villages... So much awesome. I suppose I should try out Avian, Human, and Hylotl before settling on a final choice. I'll grab that creative mode mod so I can play them for a while without having to spend the first 20 minutes trying to mine with the matter manipulator so I can get enough stone to make a pick...

Are the races still essentially the same right now? No major differences in the race armor yet?

EDIT: Who are these guys? They had a little village next to a huge human prison. They talked like Apex, but are clearly not Apex... They were cute and friendly!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also they were farming, with hoes and everything. Also also, the prison seemed to be populated entirely be women. And it was disgusting. The humans are clearly the most barbaric of the races, including the Floran.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:09:47 am by Sappho »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: February 01, 2014, 07:01:57 am »

I've never seen those before... Could be another unplayable race, like the Smashroom People.
Love, scriver~

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7019 on: February 01, 2014, 07:13:42 am »

Well this planet is covered with their houses, apparently. Kind of an interesting contrast to the abandon-all-hope women's prison. I feel inspired to write a backstory for this planet. It's also got little green Dr. Seuss looking guys who look like they're wearing white lab coats and want ALL THE HUGS.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another wonderful surprise, those rabbit dudes have rainbow wood trees all around their houses. I cut them all down and am currently planning a rainbow tree farm. The rainbow wood panels are FABULOUS, and near them was a rainbow chest with a blueprint for a rainbow picture to hang on my wall. I'm tempted to go replace every wall and floor in that prison with rainbow wood, and re-open it as a vacation resort for gay couples.

...Okay, now I have to do that. Excuse me while I get to work.

Only bad thing so far is the meteor showers. Does every planet have those? They are the only thing spoiling my perfect planet!

Here's the coordinates, in case anyone else wants a look: -86711832, -58856823 (medium-sized planet, though it took me about 4 game days to go all the way around it)

EDIT: There's also an Avian in a house by the beam-down point. The only thing he'll say is "I heard Thornwing is in the area. Beware." What does that mean?

EDIT2: Well apparently if a planet has meteors, you just have to abandon it. The meteors spawn at the edge of your screen, so you can even get hit underground and indoors, which is absurd. The worst part is, there were no meteors on this planet for the first few hours I was exploring it. There's absolutely no indication of whether they will fall or not. I just took a peek at the official forums, and a lot of people are pissed off about it, having massive projects destroyed in seconds by something they had no idea was going to happen. Unless there's some way to disable meteors completely, I might just take another break from this game until they are fixed. I want to build awesome stuff, and I don't want it destroyed by flaming rocks that appear out of nowhere.

Meteors can exist, that's fine. But there should be a way to tell if a planet will get them, and they shouldn't spawn indoors or underground.

EDIT3: Apparently it's possible to disable them. I'm about to attempt my first mod! http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/turn-off-meteor-showers.59450/

EDIT4: Aaaaaand apparently that anti-meteor mod is not updated for the current version. AND they have changed the file system so that it's not easy to mod anymore. Used to be you could just open a file in a text editor and make a few tweaks, but now you have to unpack and repack files using utilities and all kinds of stuff that is way over my head. So I suppose I'm not going to be playing Starbound until someone updates that mod, or makes a new one, or the people at Chucklefish make removing a game-breaking overpowered thing (or at least making it possible to detect and prepare for) a priority.

If someone on here wants to make that mod for the current version, I promise to send you a thank-you card in the mail, if you give me your mailing address. Or one of my spare Steam game keys, I have a bunch from bundles...

Also, where the hell is everyone? I haven't seen this thread so quiet since before the update.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:26:42 am by Sappho »
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 565