Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945292 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #5625 on: December 13, 2013, 04:41:57 pm »

Speaking of which, someone said crops don't grow unless you're near them. Do we have exact data on how close you have to be? I wouldn't even know where to start looking for that (not yet delved into modding).
This turned out to not be true. I've left a ship with newly-planted crops and returned to ones ready for harvesting. It's just that non-staples grow painfully slow.
Define 'staples'?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: December 13, 2013, 04:44:40 pm »

Speaking of which, someone said crops don't grow unless you're near them. Do we have exact data on how close you have to be? I wouldn't even know where to start looking for that (not yet delved into modding).
This turned out to not be true. I've left a ship with newly-planted crops and returned to ones ready for harvesting. It's just that non-staples grow painfully slow.
Define 'staples'?

Tiny rods of metal that are pinched at the ends to hold stacks of paper together.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: December 13, 2013, 04:45:21 pm »

Define 'staples'?
Wheat of course, and probably most of the other starter crops. In my experience, sugar canes seem to grow reasonably fast and bonobos and potatoes were just fine, but waiting for avesmwhatsists to grow was torturous. :P

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: December 13, 2013, 04:48:39 pm »

Crops will only grow if you're close enough to the land-chunk that it is loaded in memory so the crop growth times calculate (I have no idea what distance this is). Crops will ALWAYS grow on the ship, because the ship is ALWAYS loaded (you need to get there immediately in the case of death or a teleport). It's trivial to mod the growth times to something more sane, but I made a thread anyway because sitting there watching chili peppers grow for an hour and a half is fucking stupid. The thread I made is Here.

If you want to test the crop growth range, you could make a dirt skybridge around a tiny planet in singleplayer and drop wheat every 100 blocks or so. Wheat matures from planting to harvest in 10-14 minutes, so just plant every 100 blocks for a couple thousand, AFK in a dirt fort for 15 minutes after the last seed was planted, and see how far along the bridge your wheat has grown.

EDIT: For the curious but lazy/Chucklefish forums-phobic: I've seen two timer ranges for plants. 10-14 minute maturation, and 94-98 minute maturation. If you want anything in the second group, better plant it on your ship or just leave the damn game running overnight after cheating in a few hundred seeds.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:52:51 pm by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: December 13, 2013, 04:56:38 pm »

You can definitely get brain trees in alpha sector, though. The very first world I landed on when the beta started had those.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: December 13, 2013, 05:00:11 pm »

I found a forest planet where the background is giant brains and the trees have little brains on them.

I think it may be a stealth pun- it's a brainforest.

Hey! That was my first starting planet!

EDIT: actually, I'm curious if it actually is. Let me know if you find tiny houses in soft-brick caverns underground.
It was in beta sector. no way it's your starter planet.
Maybe not the one you found, but my very first Floran character started in a brainforest as well.  And I completely missed the pun...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: December 13, 2013, 05:02:39 pm »

Define 'staples'?
Wheat of course, and probably most of the other starter crops. In my experience, sugar canes seem to grow reasonably fast and bonobos and potatoes were just fine, but waiting for avesmwhatsists to grow was torturous. :P

Yep. Wheat and the racial starter crops. For example, boneboos grow super-fast for ye Florans, but chilis take forever.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #5632 on: December 13, 2013, 05:09:16 pm »

Eye forests are the best. Infinite oculemons.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: December 13, 2013, 05:24:35 pm »

Although they grow more as melons, than lemons.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: December 13, 2013, 05:26:29 pm »

The fibre trees growing in the poison swamps are also great.
Cutting several of them produces enough plant fibre to craft a lot of bandages.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: December 13, 2013, 05:27:50 pm »

The fibre trees growing in the poison swamps are also great.
Cutting several of them produces enough plant fibre to craft a lot of bandages.
I spawned on one of those, and the fibre has lasted me all the way to top-tier. I've still got a stack of 1K that I've never had to touch.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: December 13, 2013, 05:30:01 pm »

Anyone know how to mod in that "hunting" effect to drop meat? I'll try my hand in making a hunting rifle for meat hunting in harder sectors.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: December 13, 2013, 05:35:07 pm »

Wait, where are you getting bacon?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: December 13, 2013, 05:46:23 pm »

Ah, I forget who was modding flowers and mushrooms to be growable, but digging through the timers makes me think the grown time on shrooms is about an hour and a half from planting to mature. You can lower the duration to something sane (or ludicrously fast like 10,12) to check them out without waiting for hours to check changes.

Yea, I've noticed that the growth rate for mushrooms is one of the longest in-game. Though there are other plants with similar growth rates that can be farmed by default.

I'm not entirely sure how the numbers correspond to real-time, though.

I'm probably going to reduce the time for mushrooms to about 1/4th their normal value. Even with its new value it will take longer to grow than most other plants.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: December 13, 2013, 05:47:24 pm »

Anyone know what the crystal plant does?
You can eat it, but it seems like it probably has another use.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 565