Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945130 times)

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4560 on: December 08, 2013, 03:11:34 pm »

-space ladder-
It will be cold. REally cold.

ALso you shoudl start finding asteriods apparently.

Never gone up there myself. :P

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4561 on: December 08, 2013, 03:12:50 pm »

Except the people who are saying they're terrible at combat and just want to craft and explore. Bosses being optional would be for them. And whats the point of making bosses mandatory for tiers if you can go to a level 45 planet and cheese out level 45 weapons and armor?

Surely everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I doubt anyone is consciously trying to make anyone else's experience less fun. But as someone who wants to build and craft and explore without worrying that I'm going to constantly die, this is what I keep hearing:

"I'm really good at (fighting/platforming/what have you) as a result of (spending a shocking number of hours playing games/having a natural talent for it) and therefore I should be rewarded for it with all the best stuff in the game. If other people aren't good enough at it to have fun playing the game, they don't deserve to have fun."

I'm not hearing many people say "I wouldn't enjoy the game as much if I wasn't forced into a linear progression based on combat" (it has been said, but not by many). What I'm really hearing is "PEOPLE would exploit it by XYZ" which is another way to say "people other than me would get good stuff in a different way than I get it and I wouldn't feel better than everyone for having all the best stuff."

When a game is sold as a sandbox, to me that means you set your own challenges and goals and difficulties. If that includes fighting, that's fantastic. Go for it. Find the biggest, most badass enemies in the universe and go fight them. Scour the universe for the best stuff, kill people for it or earn pixels to buy it. Why does that mean that people who don't want to do that, can't have access to that higher-level stuff? If someone spends 100 hours playing the game focusing on building and crafting rather than fighting, why should they get any less of a reward than people who spend 100 hours fighting stuff? In fact, it seems like the ones who want to stick with everything being about fighting are good enough at fighting already that they can beat the top-level things within a day, or even a few hours. If I'm spending a week on the game doing what's enjoyable to me, but I just suck at fighting or don't like it, why should I not be allowed access to the sweet loot you got by doing the thing which is most enjoyable for you?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: December 08, 2013, 03:13:16 pm »

Spoiler: Under the surface. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:16:46 pm by werty892 »

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: December 08, 2013, 03:14:02 pm »

Broken image, Werty.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: December 08, 2013, 03:16:53 pm »

Fixed :)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: December 08, 2013, 03:27:04 pm »

Is that...an ocean!?  I haven't found an ocean or sea-type biome of any type yet, are they in?  :o
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: December 08, 2013, 03:28:54 pm »

Is that...an ocean!?  I haven't found an ocean or sea-type biome of any type yet, are they in?  :o
It's blue sand backwall.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: December 08, 2013, 03:30:29 pm »

It's blue sand backwall.

Dawwwww.  :-\
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: December 08, 2013, 03:31:16 pm »

Nope, that's just a large lake underneath a desert. Sorry to get your hopes up.

I'm now just exploring and uploading pictures of anything cool that I find :)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: December 08, 2013, 03:31:35 pm »

I PM'd Seriyu with my part of the Bay12 feedback email. I'm pasting it in full below if anyone else is interested:

Spoiler: TEXTWALL CRITS YOU (click to show/hide)
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: December 08, 2013, 03:40:39 pm »

About flaregun, there are already flares.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: December 08, 2013, 04:04:27 pm »

Sure, but the flares work like terraria's glowsticks now. That's not to say a flaregun won't pop up in the future, though.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: December 08, 2013, 04:09:31 pm »

I found a Glitch village, not much loot but the medieval setting is cool.

I found five flashlights. One was just the standard starter one, another gave off a red light, and three more gave off a yellow light. Kind of nifty.
Spoiler: Flashlight comparison. (click to show/hide)
Also, apparently Glitch furnaces are used to cook meat like a campfire does. But its description says it is used to work metal. I thought it would be like the cobblestone furnace we make in the beginning, so I'm kind of disappointed. Or is this a bug?     E: Checked the forums, this is a bug.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:44:28 pm by BlackFlyme »

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: December 08, 2013, 04:12:13 pm »

Spoiler: Spaaaaaaaaaace! (click to show/hide)

Only low space though. Higher up appears to be empty of all but birds.

NVm, found another couple asteroids up higher.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:18:11 pm by Twi »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: December 08, 2013, 04:18:07 pm »

Surely everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I doubt anyone is consciously trying to make anyone else's experience less fun. But as someone who wants to build and craft and explore without worrying that I'm going to constantly die, this is what I keep hearing:

"I'm really good at (fighting/platforming/what have you) as a result of (spending a shocking number of hours playing games/having a natural talent for it) and therefore I should be rewarded for it with all the best stuff in the game. If other people aren't good enough at it to have fun playing the game, they don't deserve to have fun."

I'm not hearing many people say "I wouldn't enjoy the game as much if I wasn't forced into a linear progression based on combat" (it has been said, but not by many). What I'm really hearing is "PEOPLE would exploit it by XYZ" which is another way to say "people other than me would get good stuff in a different way than I get it and I wouldn't feel better than everyone for having all the best stuff."

When a game is sold as a sandbox, to me that means you set your own challenges and goals and difficulties. If that includes fighting, that's fantastic. Go for it. Find the biggest, most badass enemies in the universe and go fight them. Scour the universe for the best stuff, kill people for it or earn pixels to buy it. Why does that mean that people who don't want to do that, can't have access to that higher-level stuff? If someone spends 100 hours playing the game focusing on building and crafting rather than fighting, why should they get any less of a reward than people who spend 100 hours fighting stuff? In fact, it seems like the ones who want to stick with everything being about fighting are good enough at fighting already that they can beat the top-level things within a day, or even a few hours. If I'm spending a week on the game doing what's enjoyable to me, but I just suck at fighting or don't like it, why should I not be allowed access to the sweet loot you got by doing the thing which is most enjoyable for you?
Well, kinda the problem here isn't so much that the game is billed as a sandbox nor as a combat thing, but a middleground between the two, as Terraria was. As such it does need to provide a bit of both. That was honestly one of the draws of the game for me, a better netcode to take care of the fighting and latency issues. And while setting your own goals is admirable, the consistency provided across players by having some sort of limits is a way to keep people progressing without breaking the challenges each set to themselves.

So well, I'm arguing it's better to not have total freedom as a result of playing with other people, who should for the most part, be able to play together at the same without getting something like an all smiting hammer alongside the early crafting weapons when they do wanna take on something appropriately tough. I'd rather have the game decide when I should get stronger and tougher rather than have the option to do so, since I have no idea what would be most fun for me.

Still though, I do get you would enjoy the game if the crafting stuff was more open to you, but that's relatively a bit simpler to setup than making sure that the combat works right. It'd be a matter of searching for the right mods that would unlock those things and installing them. Maybe have the recipe for the molten core be twice what it would take to summon the first boss perhaps? But regardless, the game does toe between being combat oriented and sandbox oriented, and I think favoring one side over the other would detract from the experience for most players, though I do agree there ought to be better options for sandbox players, but going to make the bosses officially optional would be a bad idea in my opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 565