Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945234 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4350 on: December 07, 2013, 04:57:53 pm »

All the information is about to become outdated with the balance overhaul?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: December 07, 2013, 04:59:05 pm »

I'd like to see fewer planets, encouraging people to stick around on certain planets longer to more fully exploit them.  Better cave generation would help a great deal I think.  Terraria had an excellent method of being able to reach incredible depth with only a bit of scaffolding, just a tricky navigation of cave systems.

My method is: choose a 3 wide point on the surface, make a 3x3 hole, put one platform in the middle top (basically so you can just walk across).

Dig down using pickaxe, 3 wide, as deep as possible, falling down into lava, whatever. Save and exit.

Once you're back up, put a second platform at the perfect maximum distance for a maximum jump (I don't remember exactly, might need some trial and error). Then, stand on the top platform, while hovering with the mouse on the 2nd platform. Now, just jump down one platform, click, jump down, click... ad infinitum (every 3 platforms put a torch or sumthin, then hover again, jump down, click, etc.)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: December 07, 2013, 05:23:08 pm »

It sure would be nice if you could just plug improvement modules into the matter manipulator, rather than actually making tools. It's rather silly that space-age technology designed to move things around is worse at its job than a pointy rock.

EDIT: Also having a hotbar full of tools is frustrating as a limit of how many utilities you can have ready.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:27:20 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: December 07, 2013, 05:25:46 pm »

Are there patch notes  ?

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #4354 on: December 07, 2013, 05:57:51 pm »

How the hell are you supposed to kill the penguin UFO? My weapons barely scratch it and I get obliterated by it or the penguins it spawns really fast.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: December 07, 2013, 06:05:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What did you guys do to the server?
In any case, it should be fixed now.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: December 07, 2013, 06:06:26 pm »

How the hell are you supposed to kill the penguin UFO? My weapons barely scratch it and I get obliterated by it or the penguins it spawns really fast.
Get silver armor, it helps.

As for weapons, see those throwing daggers? They pop up in chests sometimes and they are ridiculously effective if you collect enough of them.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: December 07, 2013, 06:30:34 pm »

As for weapons, see those throwing daggers? They pop up in chests sometimes and they are ridiculously effective if you collect enough of them.
All I can read is ninja stars.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: December 07, 2013, 06:35:44 pm »

Dammit! I should have made an Avian who looks like an owl and called him Dr. Hoo!

That is because you are using level 5 weapons against a level 9 boss, and with the current system that just doesn't work. The solution is to wander across level 10 desert planets until you find one with an anchor, climb up there and you will find a weapon merchant somewhere. They will sell gear that actually makes a scratch.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: December 07, 2013, 06:39:25 pm »

All I can read is ninja stars.
I am now sad I did not take a picture of the shuriken plants.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4360 on: December 07, 2013, 06:41:56 pm »

Leather armor, plink at it with an iron hunting bow. With a pile of bandages it should be pretty easy, just be sure to kill penguins as they crop up. Silver armor is also acceptable as Twi said earlier. Dunno about throwing daggers, but they're probably better then the iron hunting bow!

Took me about fifteen minutes with leather and bow.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: December 07, 2013, 06:47:15 pm »

I myself did it once with insufficient daggers and an iron bow by finding a little alcove at an angle to him where I could snipe.

...Then the molten core despawned after me crouching for like, ever. RAGE!

Cheesed it later, though. :p

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: December 07, 2013, 06:49:32 pm »

First time I used an iron bow and cheesed it to all hell.
Second time I used a sniper rifle and it felt like an actual fight. This game is actually very well balanced, if you have the exact right gear they thought you would have, and that is pretty hard to achieve, especially as far as armor goes.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: December 07, 2013, 06:51:28 pm »

TLDR: Armor penetration makes the scaling ridiculously sharp at the moment. The new update is certainly one way to change that.

I myself am not sure which is better :v

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: December 07, 2013, 07:00:30 pm »

I'm personally looking foward to the patch, since the current armor penetration makes a bit too narrow a difficulty curve. Combat isn't exactly hard even when you're outmatched but it's not exactly rewarding feeling either with the huge risk versus the small reward past a point.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 565