Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944474 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4275 on: December 07, 2013, 11:45:06 am »

We need growable trees and other fuel source choices before we need travel discounts.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4276 on: December 07, 2013, 11:46:22 am »

They could make up for it by making travel to other planets cost more. The point isn't to discount travel, it's to give a purpose to the home planet. To make it something actually useful, because you can come back to it for free, so instead of keeping all your stuff on your ship (which you can currently get to for free), you can build a super sweet kickass base and keep your stuff there. It would give a purpose to all the building tools, as well.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: December 07, 2013, 11:51:38 am »

Your ship is in orbit. It's not halfway across the galaxy. If moving an entire ship from a moon to its planet is 1 fuel, moving you down to the planet surface from orbit is trivial.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4278 on: December 07, 2013, 11:54:55 am »

Your ship is in orbit. It's not halfway across the galaxy. If moving an entire ship from a moon to its planet is 1 fuel, moving you down to the planet surface from orbit is trivial.

On the other hand, it's a video game, and if fudging sci-fi logic a little bit makes the game a lot more fun to play, I don't really care if it makes sense or not. I'm sure someone can come up with a reasonable explanation for how it works. All I care is that building and home planets have a purpose in the game. I also don't care why the planets are in 2 dimensions, or why you never need to sleep, or where the toilets are in the game. It's a game, and the goal of development should be making it more fun.

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: December 07, 2013, 11:58:09 am »

going to other planets is already pretty expensive, unless it's another planet around the same star

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: December 07, 2013, 12:03:15 pm »

There are toilets. You can sit on them. What did you want? Greater hunger after using one? I tend to find books to read near at hand.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 12:14:55 pm by BigD145 »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: December 07, 2013, 12:05:50 pm »

I didn't even use trees for fuel, just the random coal I found near the surface of two or three planets kept me more than half full for more than a dozen system jumps.

As far as home planet, I'm assuming at some point the amount of raw stuff you want to store will simply be too much no matter the size of the ship (the preview ship upgrade graphic they posted showed your ships will eventually be 8x the current starter size IIRC) if you take into account furniture and staple NPC vendors and pet stables and decorations and crafting materials and stored gear for friends or alts or whatever. That point would make having a home base attractive instead of just stuffing every square inch of your ship with crates, because you'd need the space in your ship for farms and crafting stations and whatnot.

@Sappho
I am going to make a big balance issue post on the Chucklefish forums, but I'm hesitant to provide much feedback until I've had a chance to try the combat overhaul. I honestly don't expect the devs to dig through the steam forums very much because they're scattered across so many media all at once and the vast (extremely vast) majority of what they have to look through is illiterate noise.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4282 on: December 07, 2013, 12:14:37 pm »

I suppose I should make an account on the Chucklefish forums then, and add my suggestion there.

Let me put it this way: is there any downside to making it free to return to your home planet? Once you've looted it, it would only be useful as a base. They could make it very expensive to change your home planet (setting up a new homing beacon, or somesuch), to stop people from just changing their home planet every time they find a good one. I don't see that it would unbalance anything. It would just make it more fun.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: December 07, 2013, 12:17:49 pm »

There's been talk of massively terraforming your home planet. We'll see if that makes it in later on.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: December 07, 2013, 12:20:36 pm »

A pixel cost for beaming to or from one's ship seems complicated. On the one hand, it would have what I see as the desirable of effect of causing players to carefully manage their resources and adventure more conservatively. That said, unless the cost scaled (and should it?), per planet level or type for instance, the fee would probably become trivial and stop contributing anything meaningful to the experience.

I personally like the idea of ship maintenance in addition to fuel requirements. The idea would be that, on occasion, during transit you might cross and asteroid field and get knocked around a little, or hear a loud, dissonant mechanical sound coming from the back of your ship. Events like these would subtract from your ship's condition. Once the condition was sufficiently low, you might have to pay more to use the 3D Printer and/or beam system (if relevant!), and eventually wouldn't be able to leave the orbit of your current planet with repairs.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 12:22:08 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: December 07, 2013, 12:25:14 pm »

You know, they did consider having FTL-like combat at some point...

How about FTL-like events? A shop in orbit, a distress signal from the surface, an abandoned ship drifting in an asteroid field...

Naturally, some of these would be system-wide. I.e. you arrive in a system and immediately see any distress signals from planets in the system, and/or any stations and ships wherever.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: December 07, 2013, 12:27:36 pm »

I didn't even use trees for fuel, just the random coal I found near the surface of two or three planets kept me more than half full for more than a dozen system jumps.

As far as home planet, I'm assuming at some point the amount of raw stuff you want to store will simply be too much no matter the size of the ship (the preview ship upgrade graphic they posted showed your ships will eventually be 8x the current starter size IIRC) if you take into account furniture and staple NPC vendors and pet stables and decorations and crafting materials and stored gear for friends or alts or whatever. That point would make having a home base attractive instead of just stuffing every square inch of your ship with crates, because you'd need the space in your ship for farms and crafting stations and whatnot.

@Sappho
I am going to make a big balance issue post on the Chucklefish forums, but I'm hesitant to provide much feedback until I've had a chance to try the combat overhaul. I honestly don't expect the devs to dig through the steam forums very much because they're scattered across so many media all at once and the vast (extremely vast) majority of what they have to look through is illiterate noise.
8x? Pfft. There's already a mod which turns your ship into a HUGE space station.

We need growable trees and other fuel source choices before we need travel discounts.
Temporary solution: \assets\objects\farmables\banana\bananaseed.object, add wood to drop items. It works in MP. Similarly any wood-like plant could do it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: December 07, 2013, 12:39:26 pm »

You know, they did consider having FTL-like combat at some point...

How about FTL-like events? A shop in orbit, a distress signal from the surface, an abandoned ship drifting in an asteroid field...

Naturally, some of these would be system-wide. I.e. you arrive in a system and immediately see any distress signals from planets in the system, and/or any stations and ships wherever.

This is one thing I'd really like to see. Both alerts like this, and destinations that aren't planets/moons. I'd love to come across an abandoned space station and carefully explore it, flashlight in one hand, handcannon in the other.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: December 07, 2013, 12:49:26 pm »

Speaking of "flashlight in one hand". I find the Flashlight to be absolutely, utterly useless, except for brief stints underwater. Even with a one-handed sword and in the dark, you're better off putting down a torch, and holding a shield.

Coal and wood are so abundant that you can make enough torches on the starting planet to last you the whole game. Something seriously needs to be done about that. Torches are ridiculously useful. In Terraria, at least there was the issue that you couldn't place them more than a few tiles away from yourself. Here, the Matter Manipulator is simply too good.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: December 07, 2013, 12:53:36 pm »

I make a conscious decision to not spam torches when exploring a planet at night for precisely that reason. The first time I spent a night walking through a jungle with a flashlight and machine pistol was one of my best experiences with the beta so far.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 565