Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944924 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4230 on: December 07, 2013, 03:06:31 am »

Because there would be so many levels of planet that would be functionally identical more or less while accomplishing the exact same thing as ten levels more or less.

And is it ten levels overall, or ten levels per sector?

Like alpha has 1-10 in it, then beta has 1-10 as well, its just beta's 1 is as hardish as alpha 10. Or something.

So if there's ten tiers, it might as well have 100 levels

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: December 07, 2013, 03:13:14 am »

I'd like to see fewer planets, encouraging people to stick around on certain planets longer to more fully exploit them.  Better cave generation would help a great deal I think.  Terraria had an excellent method of being able to reach incredible depth with only a bit of scaffolding, just a tricky navigation of cave systems.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: December 07, 2013, 03:14:14 am »

Wow leather is overpowered.
Floran likes this.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: December 07, 2013, 03:27:05 am »

I'd like to see fewer planets, encouraging people to stick around on certain planets longer to more fully exploit them.  Better cave generation would help a great deal I think.  Terraria had an excellent method of being able to reach incredible depth with only a bit of scaffolding, just a tricky navigation of cave systems.
I can get behind this totally. Right now we are pretty much playing 2001: A space odyssey; The game. You all remember that part where they keep flashing different colored alien landscapes, and at first it is really cool, but after a little while it just gets really boring? That is this exactly. The solution is to make players more invested in a single planet. That way exploring a different one actually feels alien. I would suggest:
1. Remove chests spawning on the surface, or if they do scale the loot so better stuff is deeper. Make players feel like they stand a better chance getting cool stuff from fully exploring a single planet, than quickly exploring many.
2. Remove the fuel system. You already gave a pretty good explanation of why it just forces players to only move forward. I would compensate by making the first quest about fixing your engine so you can jump within your solar system, and the second quest about upgrading it to move between systems, giving players more time to get settled on their initial planet.
3. Make it easier to find shops. Right now people just skim over the highest level planets hoping to find a weapon dealer, and over exposure to all these planets isn't good. I would implement space stations that are populated by most essential NPCs so that you don't have go to searching planets, you can just go there from your ship. They don't have to orbit every planet, or even be in every system, but the ability to just search around for the merchant would actually help I think.
4. Make creatures more varied. Right now every planet has the same set of creatures, just scaled with some numbers and slightly different appearance. I would prefer if only some planets had birds, and only some had bipeds, and so on. Also implement creature specific drops. Right now your tool defines what you get, not the monster itself. Makes everything feel way too samey.
5. Make more work benches. Enough that you don't want them all on your ship because it would be too cluttered! Enough that you want to actually plan out rooms. One for wood work to add crafting recipes for all those wooden items, and one for fleshy items and crystal items. Make us actually need a home base.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4234 on: December 07, 2013, 03:47:28 am »

I feel like surface chests are fine, but yeah, definitely don't put anything terribly valuble in them. I feel like that'd do about as much as needs to be done honestly.

I kind've like the breadth of the universe! I like having a ton of planets. I feel like if people want to just skim planets they can do that. It seems like something that comes down to personal preference, because I personally hate long surface trips across planets, barring the occasional wild desire to walk in a single direction for a while. So I tend to hang around on specific planets for a while. Maybe some people like searching for temples, and that's fine too!

Fuel.... eh. I wouldn't whine too loudly if it went away, but I'd like for them to boost coal quite a bit. 4 for 1 maybe. As of now you really do have to dump quite a mass of coal into the ship for it to get anywhere meaningful.

Shops.... I could agree. Kinda seems to fall into the "make planets more interesting on the whole" thing I'd like to see, so yeah.

Creatures are plenty varied as far as I've seen, although it's certainly more of a fine detail thing, as far as differences go. More certainly can't hurt anything though. Probably something they'll work on as beta goes on.

Work benches..... eh. I'm not a fan, I'd prefer just preventing crafting on the ship, if they want to prevent that. Too many workbenches can get overwhelming fast. It seems like something simple, but early on I was regularly forgetting where what craft was, and more workbenches would only compound that.

So overall, I agree mostly, just in slightly different ways! Like usual.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4235 on: December 07, 2013, 03:50:57 am »

Could I suggest that we make a Bay12 suggestion thread, either on Steam or on the Starbound official forum? I feel like this community is churning out excellent ideas, analysis, and constructive critique, but the devs aren't going to see it here. If everyone here just posts their ideas separately on the other forums, it might get lost in the pile of nonsense, but if we have one thread devoted to our feedback, it should get some real attention.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4236 on: December 07, 2013, 03:52:26 am »

I certainly wouldn't argue with that! With that said I'm active on neither forum, so I move for someone else to do it. :P

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: December 07, 2013, 03:55:49 am »

Heh, and so the delays begin... :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: December 07, 2013, 03:59:53 am »

Do it on both, that way it gets seen more.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: December 07, 2013, 04:09:01 am »

an easy way to defeat the ufo is to summon him on a avion ship (the level 10 one where you get the guns)
stay below deck and the pirates will gun it down

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4240 on: December 07, 2013, 04:12:22 am »

Quick question: how do you harvest plants? My wheat looks fully grown, but if I use the matter manipulator on it, I just get a single wheat seed. Do I need to do something else? Is it not actually grown yet? I am so confused...

If no one else wants to make a thread on Steam, I can do it, after I finish this current playing session (and my breakfast). I'm not on the Starbound forum though.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: December 07, 2013, 04:14:32 am »

Hit e. If it is fully grown, it will harvest it, otherwise it will do nothing.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4242 on: December 07, 2013, 04:24:38 am »

That. Also if you haven't, make a cookign table. It's pretty well hidden in the crafting table crafting interface, needs some wood and copper. Everyone seems to miss it, including myself! Makes crops a lot better. Bread will be your new best friend until you get a more impressive garden.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: December 07, 2013, 05:22:31 am »

Woah. I wish I'd read all this stuff on the penguin mothership before setting up the distress beacon.
Now I don't even know what to do. i've gone to a different planet to mine and bum around, but it sounds as though just hopping lvl10 planets is the way to go.

Edit: Nevermind. I went from 500 pixels to 0 because I kept dying whilst trying to reach what turned out to be an apex village with a food vendor.
Later, I tried to get into a robot domain, but they were all hostile.

Guess there is more than one difference between the races.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:58:25 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: December 07, 2013, 05:27:27 am »

I wish that a different kind of fuel would be implemented. Coal powered ships is a little silly, plus it's a massive resource sink.

Imagine if you had to build your own refueling station, and that the efficiency/tech level of it would determine the range of your ship. Wouldn't be great? You would end up with these little outposts setup all over the galaxy.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 565