Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944706 times)

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4110 on: December 06, 2013, 05:47:10 pm »

Why i can't make higher tier tools without making the one tier below.. I have not seen a single piece of gold ore since i started playing. Finding stuff like scientist clothes or freeze ray is cool, hopefully there's more non-standard stuff like that coming. And i seriously hope that higher-tier mining equipment are NOT pickaxes. We got goddamned spaceship but no mining drill ?

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: December 06, 2013, 05:50:46 pm »

Fivex, what's up (or rather down) with your server?
I had a blackout. Again.
It's back up.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: December 06, 2013, 05:54:08 pm »

Why i can't make higher tier tools without making the one tier below.. I have not seen a single piece of gold ore since i started playing. Finding stuff like scientist clothes or freeze ray is cool, hopefully there's more non-standard stuff like that coming. And i seriously hope that higher-tier mining equipment are NOT pickaxes. We got goddamned spaceship but no mining drill ?
I'm convinced that a diamond pickaxe isn't very good.  It's just extremely heavy, and able to bash through terrain.  After all, it's layered with a stone core, covered in copper, silver, gold, platinum, and an outer shell of diamond.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: December 06, 2013, 05:55:22 pm »

I'm convinced that a diamond pickaxe isn't very good.  It's just extremely heavy, and able to bash through terrain.  After all, it's layered with a stone core, covered in copper, silver, gold, platinum, and an outer shell of diamond.
that sounds so.. Dwarfy..

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: December 06, 2013, 05:57:17 pm »

Also worth noting, to all those who wish to dig deeper!

Dig at the beam-down spot.  When you beam down again, it'll deliver you to the lowest block on the location.  Doing this, the Terraria Hellevator becomes extremely effective.  The only problem, is getting back up...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: December 06, 2013, 06:11:46 pm »

Dig at the beam-down spot.  When you beam down again, it'll deliver you to the lowest block on the location.  Doing this, the Terraria Hellevator becomes extremely effective.  The only problem, is getting back up...

Additionally, if you build on your beamdown spot, you will arrive at the ground floor of your structure.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: December 06, 2013, 06:16:59 pm »

i find login off and in to be the temporary solution atm.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4117 on: December 06, 2013, 06:18:04 pm »

By that point it's not a pickaxe, it's a sledgehammer.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: December 06, 2013, 06:30:30 pm »

Break out a section of backwall at the bottom. You can now beam up.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4119 on: December 06, 2013, 06:31:44 pm »

If you build little three block notches in the wall, you can jump up, hug the wall, and land in them withotu actually being in them. Then you make another on the same wall, jump, hug the wall, again, repeat. It's handy! (Also that backwall trick only works above a certain Y level)

Also while the progression is totally messed up right now, I feel like the system could work if they put some effort into it, as they certainly seem to be doing.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: December 06, 2013, 06:32:49 pm »

Doesn't work beyond a certain depth though.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: December 06, 2013, 06:43:10 pm »

Yeah, it's a fundamental problem, not a superficial one. No amount of work will make a linear grindfest into a freeform sandbox. A good linear grindfest, maybe, but if I wanted one of those there are plenty of other, better candidates.

Oh, and tier 3+ are meaningless. The armor and weapons for each successive tier are just +1 armor/AP.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:51:56 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: December 06, 2013, 06:47:22 pm »

Can you mess with the backwalls? For example, could I give my above-ground base one?

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: December 06, 2013, 06:50:21 pm »

Right-click

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4124 on: December 06, 2013, 06:58:07 pm »

The issue is, Terraria was a linear grindfest, and nobody seemed to mind that. If the fact that you can jump planets is what's causing people to dismiss this as non sandboxy, then starbound may as well literally be terraria 2.0, as that was the big THING that was differentiating it.

I think planets could use a bit more variation, and they could work on making every planet worthwhile on some level, so you have more of a reason to hang around and actually dig around a little to find goodies, because I definitely agree it's ab ummer to run over the top of the planet, raid all the structures, and teleport out, but it's not like there isn't treasure underground, there's just a lot more of it above ground.

If treasure scaled with depth, I feel like it would do a lot more to encourage hanging out on particular planets for more then a surface tour.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 565