Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944596 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4050 on: December 06, 2013, 02:10:24 pm »

The whole idea of the tier system being separated into sectors seems kind of poorly-thought out, and not just because it needs to be rebalanced. When they were initially describing the universe, I thought they meant a mix of level one, level nine, and even level one-hundred planets/systems all mixed around. After all, with proper balancing (finding the occasional out-of-depth item on lower tier planets, making it possible to kill level 30 enemies at level 20 in less than four hours), that would provide more incentive to explore and build rather than just progress.

Skilled players should be able to conquer greater challenges. This is technically true in Starbound, but the sector, AP and tier systems limit you a lot.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:12:57 pm by freeformschooler »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4051 on: December 06, 2013, 02:12:33 pm »

The whole idea of the tier system being separated into sectors seems kind of poorly-thought out, and not just because it needs to be rebalanced. When they were initially describing the universe, I thought they meant a mix of level one, level nine, and even level one-hundred planets/systems all mixed around. After all, with proper balancing (finding the occasional out-of-depth item on lower tier planets, making it possible to kill level 30 enemies at level 20 in less than four hours), that would provide more incentive to explore and build rather than just progress.

This is what I thought as well. The way it is, it seems awfully linear for a "sandbox" game.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: December 06, 2013, 02:13:14 pm »

nice desert planet in β - got tar and soft sand - a clothier and 6 surface chests - died to it - needs more exploring.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also: it annoys me that only one tech can be active at the same time. i have the bubble and the dash - it should be possible to doubletap while in the air, then reactivate the bubble to float up again, but noooo.....
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: December 06, 2013, 02:19:55 pm »

Started a new character... First chest, Legendary Sword (Soul Caliber eye looky thing) Spits 3 short balls of stuff too. Continue travels, find two Drone Buildings, ok items there. Travel Further, Avian Airship....

ALL STARTING PLANET!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: December 06, 2013, 02:22:03 pm »

This is what I thought as well. The way it is, it seems awfully linear for a "sandbox" game.

I think the problem is not how linear it is but why. If you drop down on an end game planet with copper armor, grab a level one-hundred sword and die, you're sent back to your ship with a level one-hundred sword. 99% of Starbound is now over. Time to build a base or start again. The same thing would have happened with Starbound's inspiration games if you had the option. I don't see an obvious solution. One of the main difficulties of sandbox games is players' freedom can also be their downfall.

SB's crew doubtless was aware of it, but the tier system is maybe going a bit too far in the other direction.

Started a new character... First chest, Legendary Sword (Soul Caliber eye looky thing) Spits 3 short balls of stuff too. Continue travels, find two Drone Buildings, ok items there. Travel Further, Avian Airship....

ALL STARTING PLANET!!!

Then again, this obviously happens already :P

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: December 06, 2013, 02:25:22 pm »

Skilled players should be able to conquer greater challenges. This is technically true in Starbound, but the sector, AP and tier systems limit you a lot.

Nail on the head. I've also noticed, it seems as though certain types of planets can only be found above a certain "tier," which frankly makes me miserable. I would like a nice, low-level forest or plains world with a few exotic, high-level neighbors to explore and harvest from. So far it doesn't seem like chancing upon that is possible.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: December 06, 2013, 02:27:40 pm »

ALL STARTING PLANET!!!

care to share the cords?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: December 06, 2013, 02:31:39 pm »

While its nice to have a gun...
THEY ARE TERABAD... AP of 1!!! WTF??? How is that going to do any damage... FFS...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: December 06, 2013, 02:33:38 pm »

Yeah, the whole "enforced progression" thing sort of reeks of all the worst parts of later Terraria development, with the keys and stuff (which I absolutely hated).

I really just want to cruise around and explore and have fun and be able to face a challenge when I so choose instead of having to beat arbitrary bosses before I'm "allowed" to.

That said, I'm still enjoying myself. I'd like to tell myself it's going to get better, but I'm not entirely sure - they seem pretty committed to the whole tier thing and weird level dynamics and stuff.

Also mining sand planets is amazingly fun. It is probably one of the most fun things to do in the game. I'm just terrified they are going to see how fun it is and remove it,

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: December 06, 2013, 02:33:59 pm »

ALL STARTING PLANET!!!

care to share the cords?

That abbreviation amuses me to no end for some reason.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: December 06, 2013, 02:35:36 pm »

Starbound managed to feel MORE linear than Terraria to me. That's not the direction I thought the game was going to go.

The tutorial questline that results in the UFO boss gives me a sinking feeling that the Quest System is going to be used to artificially extend a linear game by forcing you to grind for materials to summon bosses. Exploring planets in Starbound is fun, farming metal for a Distress Beacon is not.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: December 06, 2013, 02:37:25 pm »

New post for update tonight.
Quote from: tiy
Coming tonight..

- Major work has gone into making the game work correctly onto windows XP (done, needs testing)

- Fixed (nerfed sorry), Snow infantry armor  (done)

- Make  matter blocks discover-able in a new dungeon  (done)

- Experimenting with a new leveling/damage/armor curve (Thank you to Chewymouse)  (done, needs testing)

- Complete ore rebalance (working on it)

Lots more to come, these balance issues are taking some time. I’ll add to the list as more is added.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: December 06, 2013, 02:41:46 pm »

The bosses are definitely overpowered. It's more the fact that these apex guards are one and two shotting me when my armor is supposedly higher than their level. :I

Had to cheese the hell out of them. Still died.

So yeah, TL:DR:

Later tiers cause the enemies to get far too difficult far too fast.

Whee, ninjas.

ALso, it's 200 fuel to travel between stars now. Hmm.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: December 06, 2013, 02:42:25 pm »

The game is not ready to be judged yet folks. It's still very much a work in progress and many core systems are going to see big changes. They want and need your feedback and ideas on the forums.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: December 06, 2013, 02:47:46 pm »

While its nice to have a gun...
THEY ARE TERABAD... AP of 1!!! WTF??? How is that going to do any damage... FFS...

Buying gear on a level 1 planet = AP of 1
Find an anchor on a higher level planet.
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 565