Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944944 times)

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4005 on: December 06, 2013, 12:11:16 pm »

Titanium and platinum, I hear, but I'm not there yet. :v

No idea where to find that....

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: December 06, 2013, 12:14:23 pm »

Titanium is common as fuck. Platinum is NOT only in chests, by the way. I was digging on a level 35 tentacle world with Fivex last night and found a tiny cluster of three pieces near the core.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: December 06, 2013, 12:16:11 pm »

EDIT: Also, wow, the new snow gear has great defense, and gives leather a use. 13 defense a piece. Maybe to be used as a stopgap for grinding out silver until bosses are more reasonable.

Are serious?  That makes it massively better than even silver armor.  I don't see why you wouldn't just farm weak creatures for that instead of going through the slog of mining.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: December 06, 2013, 12:19:29 pm »

Titanium is common as fuck. Platinum is NOT only in chests, by the way. I was digging on a level 35 tentacle world with Fivex last night and found a tiny cluster of three pieces near the core.

What kind of gear do you have?! I can barely survive a level 15 planet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: December 06, 2013, 12:22:54 pm »

I'm currently in full durasteel, working towards aegisalt. Of course, the nice thing about numbers is that you always have to cheese; things on a level 31 world still two-hit me.

3. Run Resize Enable

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: December 06, 2013, 12:23:40 pm »

Ok...haven't said anything since it came out, but I've mostly finished whats been put into the game, I ended up cheesing all 3 bosses, was running around level 40 planets with 10 def and no techs then finally found a high tech chest...it gave me the human mech which I thought was great...until I saw it was tickling the enemies for 1 damage  :'(

Then I ended up progressing through the half implemented tier 4-10 armors and had 36 defense with the best armor in the game...level 36 enemies were hitting me for roughly 35  :o

Oh, I found out in space you can find asteroids that has plutonium in it...suppose to be a great fuel source...except it only gives 6 per piece of ore vs 3 per piece that coal gives. I finally picked a planet and built a hour...but I'm not that great at design, but it works
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since then I got the dash tech and found out end tier armor allows for non-stop dashing...maybe the wizard scroll helps in that regards, but it is enough if you time its use you will essentially be able to fly. At this point I'm looking at the game files, it looks rather easy to mod things into the game, but I'm not sure what...only thing that comes to mind is reducing the scale on the damage to lower level armor...from the looks of it someone with 5 defense takes 8.5 times as much damage from the tier 1 boss.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: December 06, 2013, 12:25:21 pm »

I'm currently in full durasteel, working towards aegisalt. Of course, the nice thing about numbers is that you always have to cheese; things on a level 31 world still two-hit me.

Okay, I'm missing something here.

1.How do I craft leather armor?

2. What armor comes after Scout armor, and what does it need?

3. Where are NPC settlements?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4012 on: December 06, 2013, 12:28:22 pm »

So, finally able to play, my first impressions: I have little experience with platforming games and I've never been very good at the controls. I have spacial perception issues that make judging distances really difficult, so I always end up doing things like trying jumps I can't make, and can never figure out when is the right time to attack a monster (and get killed really fast). Don't even ask me about 3d games, they make me cry in the corner.

So this is not an easy game for me to play, and the controls don't feel natural to me since I don't usually play platformers. (I usually go for puzzle games, or tile-based games where one button press is one "unit" of distance.) I always want to jump by pressing W (up). I keep getting killed on the starting world by all the monsters. I just can't seem to react fast enough to defend myself when they appear.

However, I'm not about to give up. Certainly these issues are not the fault of the game; I just suck at it. Presumably I'll get better at platforming if I practice more. I'm generally very conservative and "play it safe" when it comes to games, especially survival games, so it will certainly take me a long time to make any "progress." However, if I can get myself some armor/clothing to protect myself from the ouchies and the cold, and a good enough weapon that I can kill the pokemon-looking dudes without getting mauled to death, what I really want to do is explore. I'm reading about all the stuff you guys have found, looking at the screen shots, and I wish I didn't feel trapped in my little dirt hovel while I wait for daylight, because I freeze to death too fast if I leave my campfire.

I remember watching all the videos and imagining how I would build a huge secret underground base or massive mansion on the surface, go exploring, bring back artifacts from everywhere in the universe. The reality of slowly chipping away with the matter manipulator (holy crap that thing is slow) didn't really factor in. Also, somehow I didn't realize we would have to eat, so I can't just wall myself off until I figure out how to grow food. (How do you grow food, anyway?)

In any case, these are just ramblings. I will have to practice to get good enough at this game to get anywhere. But I'm excited to finally have the game and be able to play it, after all that waiting and anticipation. I suppose I should figure out how to make a pick, since the manipulator is so slow it really sucks a lot of the fun out of it. I don't have much interest in the fighting and bosses, but I'd like to be able to really explore and have fun rather than just hiding and waiting so much.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: December 06, 2013, 12:28:41 pm »

Does anyone know if you can directly mod the set damage for enemy special attacks?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: December 06, 2013, 12:35:37 pm »

Okay, I'm missing something here.

1.How do I craft leather armor?

2. What armor comes after Scout armor, and what does it need?

3. Where are NPC settlements?

1. I'unno. It was implemented after I was long past the point of needing it.

2. Scout is the steel armor, right? Then it should be gold armor that you'll be able to access next, but not until you've breached the next tier.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3. They're randomly distributed across planets. Just keep circumventing until you find them; I've seen tons of Floran huts and traders, a single Floran town, a couple human bases, an Apex base, a ton of Avian tombs, one of the bunny tombs, etc. Still no sky pirates though. :c

e: Oh, awesome. I found some rope, which can be used to make climbing rope. Shame I already have doublejump.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:38:08 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: December 06, 2013, 12:42:44 pm »

There is a medical merchant on my ship!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: December 06, 2013, 12:44:20 pm »

There is a medical merchant on my ship!

!!!!!!!!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: December 06, 2013, 12:47:30 pm »

Defeated the first boss by using lots of dirt to cover myself, red stimpacks and an Iron Hunting Bow.
So I crafted the thing to get to sector B..
Now I am pondering if I should start mining iron, to make steel. Or head straight for Sector B..

I thought the patch made it smash through blocks now? How did you shoot it enough with the iron bow to do that much damage? I hit it 60 times without damaging it even a single bar.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4018 on: December 06, 2013, 12:48:25 pm »

Is there any actual penalty for dying? Or is it just the annoyance of having to travel back to where you were?

Because if there's no serious penalty, maybe I'll be less afraid to venture out...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: December 06, 2013, 12:50:11 pm »

I think they reduced it to 20% last night.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 565