Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944891 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Starbound - Commencing countdown... Engines on!
« Reply #3166 on: December 04, 2013, 12:17:41 am »

Huh, reading through the Starbound Wiki there are apparently racial "armor" bonuses. Humans can carry more stuff, avians can glide, and robots mine faster.

Weird thing, though: The Apex, the monkey race, has a backstory where they used to be similar to humans but devolved physically in order to evolve mentally. But the Apex's racial armor bonus is... running and jumping faster.

Strangely, it was only at that point that I realized how illogical devolving physically to evolve mentally was.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: December 04, 2013, 12:20:24 am »

Strangely, it was only at that point that I realized how illogical devolving physically to evolve mentally was.
Evolution is not a point-buy.  You can roll 18's in str, dex, AND int.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3168 on: December 04, 2013, 12:27:19 am »

Exactly. It's not a point buy system, which is why having the Apex "take away" physical evolution to "gain" mental evolution is rather dubious.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: December 04, 2013, 12:30:44 am »

I think it's somewhat implied that it's not doing much. Since despite all that they're still just monkeys in space suits. They just THINK they did that.

I think the racial armor bonuses aren't going to be in for a few versions. Last I heard racial armor was mostly cosmetic at the moment while things were smoothed out.

I'm not entirely sure that the press people got "copies". From some of the streams, I could see they were using some sort of... remote desktop thing? Like, maybe the game is actually running in a computer at the Starbound company and not locally. That would explain if the thing was too unstable to release as a Beta, and that most of these sneak peeks have been hosted by Chucklefish.

Actually nope, people are downloading the game. Looking at it's appid on the right pages will show how many people were playing it last and stuff like that too.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:33:31 am by Janet »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: December 04, 2013, 12:34:19 am »

Evolution is not a point-buy.  You can roll 18's in str, dex, AND int.
Although those high stats come at a cost. Everything your body does costs energy, so the stronger, more dexterous and smarter have to consume a lot more food than the weaker, more cumbersome and duller. In a way it kind of is a point buy system, but you have as many points as you actually want to spend, assuming you can get the fuel to support it, and in a competitive environment you may very well not, thus some species becoming 'inferior' in some respects over time.

So it would make sense if a species was choosing mutations that resulted in a lower daily calorie requirement to make up for the greater needs of the mind giving a finite amount of food. What wouldn't make sense is if that entitled growing fur and jumping higher.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: December 04, 2013, 12:47:34 am »

You still have an energy conversion limit. You still have wear and tear on organs. You can't just consume more.

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: December 04, 2013, 12:57:45 am »

Tiy uploaded the beta trailer with boss spoilers at the end. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMJE9ZHIqQ
I LOST THE GAME

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #3173 on: December 04, 2013, 01:18:04 am »

wow, nice trailer imo. Oooh, if only I had money for this

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: December 04, 2013, 01:33:33 am »

You know if that's all beta content already implemented, this game is very quickly gonna overtake Terraria in number of objects + stuff + things to find.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: December 04, 2013, 01:44:39 am »

Assuming this was properly programmed that won't be hard. Terraria was built in a way that made adding new content very painful and bug prone. A better system could see hundreds of new items a week, assuming you don't spend too much time on balance or art.

ahappydude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: December 04, 2013, 01:47:01 am »

Or instruments,bubble farts etc  ;)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: December 04, 2013, 01:49:07 am »

They did mention on a stream that the engine was set up so that they could take a screenshot and make a new house or other type of generated encounter
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: December 04, 2013, 01:49:19 am »

So... is anyone else wondering if we'll have multiplayer from the get-go? Based on what I've seen and heard, I am hopeful.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: December 04, 2013, 01:52:21 am »

So... is anyone else wondering if we'll have multiplayer from the get-go? Based on what I've seen and heard, I am hopeful.
Nope, nobody is wondering that because it has already been answered and the answer is 'yes'.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 565