Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945299 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2625 on: September 03, 2013, 12:07:30 pm »

I have no idea what you mean about sectors

Odd... given that the game is put into "sectors" that separate the stages of the game. Sectors that you need to unlock.
I don't remember hearing anything about that. Source?
I think I recall something like that, too.  In one of the play-through videos, if I recall it properly, they talked about how the tutorial quests would lead up to building a beacon that would call a larger ship to rescue you, which would let you go to different sectors.  I don't think you need to unlock each sector individually, though; it's just getting a bigger engine to go to more places.  I don't think it has much to do with the tiers, either.  I think the devs mentioned also that there are players already talking about starting off by grabbing just enough fuel to get to a Tier 10 world and set up camp there, just to see how long they can survive, and the devs didn't shoot that idea down. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:09:30 pm by Culise »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: September 03, 2013, 12:19:27 pm »

I think it's less about the "tier" sectors, and more about the, y'know, actual sectors. As in, of the galaxy. The basic ship is probably free to move within the Alpha sector, which is considered the Tutorial sector, but might still include planets all over the difficulty spectrum.

edit: i.e.:

Red underline.

Notice the buttons for Alpha, Beta and Gamma sectors in the corner of the window there, also.
So I think it's just map expansion.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:25:43 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: September 03, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »

Yeah, I'd like a source for sectors being progression or difficulty-oriented. All I've seen this far implies they're basically map coordinates, though I could see filtering out high-level planets based on map location. It'd be a fair bit annoying to search through 90% untenable planets at every single stage of the game.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: September 03, 2013, 01:19:05 pm »

Yeah, I'd like a source for sectors being progression or difficulty-oriented. All I've seen this far implies they're basically map coordinates, though I could see filtering out high-level planets based on map location. It'd be a fair bit annoying to search through 90% untenable planets at every single stage of the game.

What would you use them for? and why would you use an unlocking mechanism for?

Unfortunately I could only find proof that the "starting sector" is easy.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: September 03, 2013, 01:33:31 pm »

Eh, I could see certain sectors having unlock requirements for ship upgrades and the like. Sector gamma is covered in nebulae so you need unobtainium-based sensor arrays to make sense of it, sector delta is irradiated by (choose a stellar phenomenon) so you need better plating and armor for your ship and yourself, but the planets are higher in heavy metals and have more dangerous pokemans. I have no idea what ship upgrades actually do, all I recall seeing so far has been "more space" but it seems odd to have so much variation in everything else and just leaving the ship as a portable house and nothing more. (There was something about gathering resources from orbit for un-visitable planets, I think?)

Otherwise, it would be more convenient to have a sector of a certain level spread and limit it that way. If the universe were truly random 9 out of 10 visible planets would be useless (out of your level/gear range) at any given time.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: September 03, 2013, 04:12:16 pm »

As Darkmere said, sectoring the map would allow for things like specialized sectors that require and provide specific sorts of upgrades. There's also the possibility of Alpha Sector being largely uninhabited, while each of the others would have a burgeoning NPC empire within it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: September 04, 2013, 08:34:33 am »

It's probably either already been  thought of or discarded, but warring NPC factions might be cool. Maybe even interplanetary war.

Oh, and is there a limit to how tall you could build something?
Everybody!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: September 04, 2013, 08:36:25 am »

It's probably either already been  thought of or discarded, but warring NPC factions might be cool. Maybe even interplanetary war.

Oh, and is there a limit to how tall you could build something?

Honestly while I have not heard of a height limit. It is one of those things that you kind of know have to exist.

Mind you... that limit is extremely loose given that you can actually make it into orbit.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: September 04, 2013, 09:08:23 am »

Yeah, it's one of those cases where "the sky is the limit" is actually understating things a little. The real limit is probably somewhere near the altitude at which your spaceship is hanging. :P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: September 04, 2013, 09:46:29 am »

So who else is going to build an escalator leading from the floor to the door of their ship?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: September 04, 2013, 09:55:11 am »

Assuming that's even going to be possible, of course. I don't think the spaceship actually has doors. Though I'm sure that it'll be one of the top suggested items. :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: September 04, 2013, 09:57:37 am »

Yeah... yeah. To hell with teleportation. I'mma' jump. Throw pet out first to cushion landing. Then build space elevator to get back to ship. This is righteous path.

Unless they let us build player launching cannons. In which case it's back to Seiken Densetsu and I start making potshots at my ship with me.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:00:19 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: September 04, 2013, 10:16:31 am »

The ship is its own custom "planet" that works as a loading screen. It's not actually present on the planetary landing maps.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: September 04, 2013, 10:50:12 am »

Apparently Starbound is featured in the October PC Gamer magazine.  Here is the interview(nicked from the starbound forums)

I've spoilered it, but it doesn't really have any spoilers in it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: September 04, 2013, 03:01:55 pm »

Mind you... that limit is extremely loose given that you can actually make it into orbit.

Aww. I totally wanted to make a massive ladderbridge between planets.
Everybody!
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 565