Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944798 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2580 on: August 30, 2013, 07:21:48 am »

I wonder if smelting ores will have a timer like Minecraft, and unlike terraria. There's something about smelting timers that I like. Terraria's instasmelting didn't feel satisfying.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: August 30, 2013, 07:35:19 am »

They've already shown that in the streams. Yeah, it's minecraft-ish. Seems a bit quicker (thank Zeus), but still timed in a similar manner.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2582 on: August 30, 2013, 07:43:17 am »

I think having a small crafting time bar makes crafting more satisfying, even if only for ores and when you make a bajillion torches at a time, or an epic weapon that takes rare materials. :v

Might just be something to do with skinner boxes and psychology,  but still!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: August 30, 2013, 07:45:44 am »

Must view the streams one day..

...Though, hearing the notes about servers and such, I wonder if they have the ol' cross-everywhere item storage, like the piggy bank or (mostly unused :/) Safe in Terraria.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: August 30, 2013, 07:46:42 am »

I think having a small crafting time bar makes crafting more satisfying, even if only for ores and when you make a bajillion torches at a time, or an epic weapon that takes rare materials. :v

It's a bit nicer on the clicking finger, at least (though that's kinda' irrelevant when you've got autoclicker :P), and having little forge farms can be kinda' interesting. More time consuming, of course, but you can presumably go off and do other things while it's happening. Add a little game-linked time management. Can be interesting so long as it's not, as you note, set up as a form of psychological abuse/conditioning.

@Tiruin: Probably the player's spaceship, if there does end up being something like that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: August 30, 2013, 08:11:00 am »

FYI (no derail of Starbound intended) :
You will then probably love Factorio (demo available):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122388.msg3995525#msg3995525
It gives me a lot of crafting satisfaction.  :D

My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: August 30, 2013, 11:54:48 am »

Disclaimer: The information I get should be treated as speculation as of right now, it has proven to be roughly 50% correct.

I was told that if this current pace of development and bug squashing holds up, the tiers will be done in 6-8 weeks and yes they are aiming for 10 tiers, although they might not all be in the game initially. Remember, there are 100 levels and 10 tiers, with levels 95-100 to be very hard even for maxxed out characters.

I asked if there was more to do besides the tiers before release and got no response. I know they still have some network code and MP code to handle, but not sure what else at this point as it has been made clear that the roadmap is out of date. 
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: August 30, 2013, 01:13:30 pm »

So we've stopped whining about beta release dates and have gone back to speculation about content? Huzzah!

From what you've said, I'm feeling hopeful about the tier system. One of the biggest problems with Terraria was that once you had the endgame gear there was basically nothing that could touch you.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: August 30, 2013, 01:17:36 pm »

Yeah, I believe the devs have always said that the top 10 levels will remain a challenge for even the best-equipped characters to live in. I think what's important is that those upper 10 levels of planets contain some very unique things, and spaced out in such a way that you actually have to spend a decent while on several such planets to ever see, let alone collect, them all.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: August 30, 2013, 01:20:42 pm »

I've been kinda waffling over making my final home planet on one of the top-tier "always a challenge" worlds or one of the high-level "dangerous but manageable with care" planets. I sincerely hope there's no high-level shit like the bomb clowns or things that fly through walls.

This is probably a pipe dream, but I'd love to have equippable NPC's that you could recruit/hire and have them man guard tower emplacements around the borders of your base. If that were the case and random "ruin your shit for lulz" mobs weren't in, I'd definitely go for a top-tier deathworld castle/bunker.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #2590 on: August 30, 2013, 03:51:28 pm »

Must view the streams one day..

...Though, hearing the notes about servers and such, I wonder if they have the ol' cross-everywhere item storage, like the piggy bank or (mostly unused :/) Safe in Terraria.
Your whole planet is your piggy bank. Literally, you can manage your homeplanet to make stuff such as disable/enable other players from mining on it, destructive weapons, destructive npcs, boss summonings, etc.

I guess ill be reposting this. Horray for self-promoting!

Spoiler: My suggestion armada (click to show/hide)

If you read all the threads and re able to tell me what a certain thread is about without looking it again you have my utter and total respect. (They re all mine!)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:03:12 pm by Sarzael »
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: August 30, 2013, 05:04:00 pm »

I've been kinda waffling over making my final home planet on one of the top-tier "always a challenge" worlds or one of the high-level "dangerous but manageable with care" planets. I sincerely hope there's no high-level shit like the bomb clowns or things that fly through walls.

This is probably a pipe dream, but I'd love to have equippable NPC's that you could recruit/hire and have them man guard tower emplacements around the borders of your base. If that were the case and random "ruin your shit for lulz" mobs weren't in, I'd definitely go for a top-tier deathworld castle/bunker.

I think i'm in agreement with you, on pretty much all your posts, though I'd keep a base somewhere in a safer world to be sure.
Everybody!

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #2592 on: August 31, 2013, 04:56:12 am »

I think i'm in agreement with you, on pretty much all your posts, though I'd keep a base somewhere in a safer world to be sure.
You can disable pretty much anything that breaks blocks, including other players mining, in your homeworld.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: August 31, 2013, 05:01:08 am »

You can disable pretty much anything that breaks blocks, including other players mining, in your homeworld.
So, a little like the faction homeworlds in StarMade then? Completely impervious to anything?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: August 31, 2013, 06:44:10 am »

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:47:18 am by GrayFox »
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 565