Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944593 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2475 on: August 23, 2013, 02:33:09 am »

The line down the middle would drive me to madness. I'm fine with my current 23", thanks.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: August 23, 2013, 02:40:07 am »

The line down the middle would drive me to madness. I'm fine with my current 23", thanks.
Indeed. Dual-monitor support is only good for when you don't have a single viewport stretched across them. For everywhere else, triple-monitor setups should be standard.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: August 23, 2013, 04:05:45 am »

Oh man, do want. Anyone know what day of i49 we can expect the announcement?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: August 23, 2013, 04:29:06 am »

Oh man, do want. Anyone know what day of i49 we can expect the announcement?

Nope. I imagine it will occur on whichever day I stop obsessively F5ing the coverage.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 04:33:04 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: August 23, 2013, 06:13:14 am »

I hope you tell us when you do so the rest of us can start watching ;)
Love, scriver~

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: August 23, 2013, 10:07:13 am »

Here's the presentation thing from today

http://www.twitch.tv/multiplay10/b/450135567

Maxono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: August 23, 2013, 10:24:06 am »

Here's the presentation thing from today

http://www.twitch.tv/multiplay10/b/450135567
That sent me to the previously-recorded building demonstration.
It's a bit further in

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2482 on: August 23, 2013, 10:49:03 am »

What's wrong with the audio? I keep hearing everything looping and echoing in the background, very confusing.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2483 on: August 23, 2013, 11:25:39 am »

And near the very end, they announce that they are not announcing the release date. Only that the beta should be released by the end of the year. Siiiiiiiigh.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: August 23, 2013, 01:50:28 pm »

~SNIP~
Yea seems like they're setting up
So i assume the girl on the right is molly but who's the guy?

What the heck is "Minecraft Parkour"? That sounds scary.

And near the very end, they announce that they are not announcing the release date. Only that the beta should be released by the end of the year. Siiiiiiiigh.

BLEH.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: August 23, 2013, 02:34:33 pm »

Does the video load past 30:03 for anyone? It seems to refuse to load beyond that point for me :/
Twitch video caches in 30-minute chunks. It plays to the end of the chunk before starting to cache the next one, and the switch to the second chunk might take some time.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: August 23, 2013, 03:02:59 pm »

Nice. I look forward to the shitstorm this will cause after the "definitely release in 2013" tag on the pre-orders.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: August 23, 2013, 03:18:48 pm »

what they actually said is " we're firmly committed to having the beta out sometime this year, beyond that 'we aren't sure'". I believe I had to paraphrase that last bit as I have bad audio in my current location. This does not rule out release at any point, just that they are guaranteeing beta by the end of the year. This isn't much different than the expected October/November first look we have been preparing for.

It is upsetting since everyone, even team members were speculating that there would be a "window" announcement(not just beta by end of the year). Also upsetting is that we were told we would see the first boss today, but that too has been postponed. They are infuriatingly laid back about everything, and it's begin to piss off even their most diehard fans.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: August 23, 2013, 03:20:06 pm »

This is pretty much why I decided not to preorder. Preordering things without a release date just seems like a bad idea to me.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: August 23, 2013, 03:49:42 pm »

I went to the pre-order FAQ and looked it up to refresh my memory. It's here, for reference.

Q. What if you don't get enough preorders, will the game be unfinished?
A. No, the Starbound is going to make it out in 2013 no matter what.

That probably should be beta, but it isn't, and is very easy to misread/misremember. They also promised to add new tracks to the soundtrack over time, and have not. And to update the roadmap, which schedule slipped and then got more-or-less abandoned in favor of the daily updates (which I much prefer, don't get me wrong, but shifting that way is a bit off-putting, objectively).

There's also a subtle undertone of dis-ingenuousness in their infodumps, where over the course of several months we get "feature X is complete!" and then "feature X is finally in-game" and then "feature X is finally being integrated with other gameplay elements!" and finally "we're debugging/reworking feature X!" I'd only actually call the last step "complete."

I've been trying to remain on the optimistic side of neutral, but things like that make me raise an eyebrow nonetheless.

All that said...
I know it's a large-ish team of developers who live on different continents and have accomplished everything via teleconferencing, which isn't easy. What they've done already is laudable, and the ones who update regularly seem to be good, likeable folks who really enjoy what they do and are enthusiastic about it. I still feel I've gotten my pre-order money's worth from the soundtrack alone, and believe I'll be spending many, many hours on this down the road. I'm just a bit un-easy about some of their practices so far, which will perhaps be forgotten post-release. Whenever that is.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 565