Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944670 times)

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #1950 on: July 16, 2013, 03:39:48 am »

or perhaps the Glitch play dubstep and act like it's fancy classical music!
Or classical funk made into dubstep!

Actually, that's a bit complicated. They should probably just play metal. *ba-dum-tsh*

Oh, you did not just diss Metal.  I know you didn't, because my ingame metal band, which will be a tribute to Dragonforce and UnexpecT, will rock your socks off.
No, because, Robots are made of metal. It's a pun.
No, because, I'm quite certain Robots are actually made of jam.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: July 17, 2013, 09:43:58 am »

So I've been playing through the new Civ 5 expansion and it got me wondering; is there archaeology in Starbound? It would be awesome to fly to a planet, set down and set up a dig site, excavate artefacts and maybe get some flavour text and then sell it on/salvage it/use it/whatever.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: July 17, 2013, 09:45:37 am »

Wasn't one of the stretch goals being able to discover fossils?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: July 17, 2013, 09:46:12 am »

Well, they're apparently intending fossils. No clue about anything beyond that. Don't even particularly remember if much has been said about the implementation of th'fossils, honestly.

Yeah, nin'd.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: July 17, 2013, 12:45:43 pm »

Wasn't one of the stretch goals being able to discover fossils?
Not archaeology. That's paleontology.

For the sake of a videogame who's main focus isn't archaeology/palaeontology, we can class them as the same thing :P

Also, awesome! I'm now doubly excited for this game
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: July 17, 2013, 01:13:51 pm »

aren't there buried items?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: July 17, 2013, 01:17:15 pm »

aren't there buried items?

I think that's pretty much a given in a game like this. In the last monster stream there was even a glimpse of an underground room with some shiny buried treasure.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: July 17, 2013, 01:36:44 pm »

Wall chicken hoy?
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: July 17, 2013, 04:19:48 pm »

If they're going to implement pre-fabricated 'vaults' that get randomly plugged into the terrain generation (including underground), then it seems archeology could be in. But I forget if that's actually happening or if it was just a tangent discussion in this thread.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: July 17, 2013, 04:52:51 pm »

It seems that the general consensus amongst the team is to release the SP beta soonish and finish with MP functionality for the next couple of months with Gold/retail scheduled for Dec or Jan at the latest. The team member I talk to says it's a much better game than they ever thought it would be.

I asked if July release was out of the question and he/she said it wasn't the most likely timeframe but that the biggest issue keeping that from happening is getting the pipelines for download/forums/site in place and tested for 100K+ downloads on day 1. August is more likely, but only if they do SP beta first. I'm trying to stay cool about this game but it honestly looks like it could be one of those genre shaping masterpieces.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1960 on: July 17, 2013, 04:55:38 pm »

MPMPMPMPMPMP

o___o

must have mp

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: July 17, 2013, 04:57:31 pm »

MPMPMPMPMPMP

o___o

must have mp

Hehe, agreed.  I'd actually rather wait for the MP, as half the fun is discovering stuff with another person.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: July 17, 2013, 05:03:18 pm »

I would suggest heading over to their forum and making it clear then. The majority of gamers are forced to play alone and most of the content that is completed is SP oriented right now, so I think those are their reasoning, but nothing is set in stone. Apparently, they also discuss the idea of waiting until EVERYTHING is done, circa Jan 2014. Everything is up in the air with this group. I do think you are outnumbered though, as many people play SP first to learn and then MP for social fun/pvp/group builds if Terraria and their forums are anything to go by.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: July 17, 2013, 05:13:37 pm »

Yeah, I get that and its probably true that there are more SP players than MP players.  I just might personally hold off on playing the beta until multiplayer is in so I can play with my roommate. 

I didn't realize that the MP functionality was so far off until now.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1964 on: July 17, 2013, 05:15:36 pm »

I would suggest heading over to their forum and making it clear then. The majority of gamers are forced to play alone and most of the content that is completed is SP oriented right now, so I think those are their reasoning, but nothing is set in stone. Apparently, they also discuss the idea of waiting until EVERYTHING is done, circa Jan 2014. Everything is up in the air with this group. I do think you are outnumbered though, as many people play SP first to learn and then MP for social fun/pvp/group builds if Terraria and their forums are anything to go by.
tbh I don't care which they do, I'm not touching the game until the MP is in anyway... so they can do whichever they like. My only fear is that releasing the SP beta will distract them further due to the inevitable flood of support issues, bug reports, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 565