Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944669 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #1785 on: July 02, 2013, 07:42:09 pm »

I am told that they have not ruled out the July 29th date for first public access but it is not the most likely date. The programming structure is odd in that the game is playable and has a lot of content ready to be plugged in but that there are some basic gameplay mechanics not yet implemented. AI troubles have popped up more often than they expected but there are two team members who are very talented with it and they have a friend at another studio who gives them help often. I wholeheartedly believe this game will sell 250,000(if sold for $14.99) copies and while I would have invested back at day one, now I am nearly in tears thinking of how much revenue I am missing out on. I have invested in 3 commercial games in the last year and only one of them has survived long enough to see a potential release and it has almost zero chance of making half of what Starbound will. I hope they embrace the low price point despite the possibility of selling it for more. Three reasons, the demand curve means that they have a good chance of more than $3 million in revenue at $14.99 but will be lucky to break $2 million at the higher point. Further, the brand's value is dependent on as many people as possible enjoying the game and feeling good about the company. Finally, they can sell a sequel for more or make a best of for re-release later with company made new features and fan favorites.

Tiy is sharp. I'm not worried.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: July 02, 2013, 08:04:41 pm »

Finally, they can sell a sequel for more or make a best of for re-release later with company made new features and fan favorites

Well then I am going to have to scout out the flaws and gaps then.

Not in my standard "I am going to try to look at it as objectively as possible but my personality makes me tend to dwell on the negative" but rather to see the potential of a sequel.

Good sequels fix the flaws, patch the gaps, and elevate the gameplay.

And right now the game seems too good for a sequel.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: July 03, 2013, 03:06:21 pm »

I agree that the game seems too good for a sequel. However, I doubt it will deliver on even half of what I personally have been led to believe is in the game. Their information dispersion is such that I think many of us are expecting different things from Starbound and I don't think we will all be right in the end. Honestly, if they do deliver on all of this they will end up with another game as culturally significant as Dwarf Fortress but in a commercial package. The idea of that is astounding!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: July 03, 2013, 03:17:49 pm »

I kind of expect a 2D builder in the vein of Terraria IN SPACE! With guns n' stuff. Everything beyond that will be a pleasant surprise, but if it's only that, my pre-order will have been well spent.

Still, with a decent-sized team of contributors working on this for more than a year (or two?) I'm sure there will be a lot to see.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: July 03, 2013, 03:21:06 pm »

I doubt there will be a Starbound 2, but there could be a successor on the level of Terraria -> Starbound.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: July 03, 2013, 03:25:56 pm »

Starbound is a lot more than just a scale increase from Terraria.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: July 03, 2013, 03:28:11 pm »

I doubt there will be a Starbound 2, but there could be a successor on the level of Terraria -> Starbound.
Dwarf Fortress in 2D - the OTHER angle of 2D!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: July 03, 2013, 04:08:06 pm »

I kinda get the feeling that if they don't release something playable soon they're going to possibly see the beginnings of their community losing faith/interest in the game. With each update I see people going "oh look, more features to work on and extend development time, yay", and if nothing is done soon I can imagine more people will feel this way. I personally don't mind, I have enough games and other business to keep me occupied until Starbound releases, but I feel that the longer they hold off on giving the players something to actually play, the more revenue and sales they will lose come release.

But then, I am a massive pessimist :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #1793 on: July 03, 2013, 04:15:26 pm »

I'd rather they get a polished product out than rush something through the door. I think Castle Story is a good example, though they had to push the Alpha release in order to comply to PayPal restrictions. The release worked, sure, but it was still just a prototype and rather disappointing to a lot of people.

However, I doubt it will deliver on even half of what I personally have been led to believe is in the game. Their information dispersion is such that I think many of us are expecting different things from Starbound and I don't think we will all be right in the end.

That's one of the reasons I try to keep out of the development process of the games I've Kickstarted/preordered, and why I prefer studios keep tight lipped about features they want to put in. I'd rather be surprised and ignorant than informed and disappointed when it comes time to actually play it.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: July 03, 2013, 04:21:28 pm »

I wholeheartedly believe this game will sell 250,000(if sold for $14.99) copies and while I would have invested back at day one, now I am nearly in tears thinking of how much revenue I am missing out on.

Judging by towns sales numbers vs the general internet presence and hype starbound has (and the "track record" of terraria), i am willing to bet they will sell a lot more than 250,000 copies.

Now i am interested, what games have you invested in and how open are you to new ones?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: July 03, 2013, 06:51:51 pm »

I kinda get the feeling that if they don't release something playable soon they're going to possibly see the beginnings of their community losing faith/interest in the game. With each update I see people going "oh look, more features to work on and extend development time, yay", and if nothing is done soon I can imagine more people will feel this way. I personally don't mind, I have enough games and other business to keep me occupied until Starbound releases, but I feel that the longer they hold off on giving the players something to actually play, the more revenue and sales they will lose come release.

I waited for Starcraft 2. There is no development process I can't tolerate.

Kids these days.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: July 03, 2013, 06:55:47 pm »

As long as Starbound doesn't pull a Terraria I will have respect for them.

They would have deserved every bit of cash they earned.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: July 03, 2013, 06:58:12 pm »

What is "pulling a Terraria," exactly?

If I remember correctly, the big controversial thing they did was ending development of new features before they had fulfilled all their promises, but there could be other stuff.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: July 03, 2013, 07:01:02 pm »

If I remember correctly, the big controversial thing they did was ending development of new features before they had fulfilled all their promises, but there could be other stuff.

ohgodnotagain.jpg
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: July 03, 2013, 07:03:38 pm »

ohgodnotagain.jpg
beatadeadhorse.bmp
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 565