Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945259 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #1725 on: June 25, 2013, 06:35:54 am »

Hemmingjay, any word on any kind of release? I'm really starting to worry that the constant feature creep will ruin this game :(
you call it "feature creep" i call it "adding a ton of content"... its the same anyways, just with a different thought behind it.
looks like you just want to play the game... NOW!!!!!1111   and call it feature creep because they do daily updates (that is pretty awesome that they do this for us. they could just do 1 update per month instead like... "we worked on more items for each type of ore, sleeping, our new AI guy is working on the awesome fish swimming ai, lava creates light now, working on intros... here have a screenshot... see you next month.)

maybe try to find a different game that keeps you busy for at least..... a month? so your not constantly looking at their website each day and "get disappointed by CONTENT err.. feature creep" :D

pretty sure that once they get a playable version out for the public you get a email about it (if you preordered?)... and it gets spammed in this topic too.

everyone know how it feels if you look forward to a game and want to play it already a week ago... (hello X³).
for me it kind of works to get busy with a different game instead (hello vindictus, world of tanks, twitch streams, any i might add age of wulin CB to the list soon)... but its probably hard to find something that you like that much to actually keep you busy for a while...
and then one day you get a email "starbound is released!!!" and you instantly throw away everything else you you were totally into for weeks and start exploring all the "feature creep" err... CONTENT that is in the game.
 :D

I appreciate the thought, but it is not the case. I simply don't have the time to play the games I have now, let alone this time sucker. The fact is that they are getting deep into scope creep/feature creep territory while they wait on another team member to hammer out AI issues. The problem is they have dramatically expanded their design document while deep into production, which is almost always a no-no. While it sounds great to add tons of content, it creates further complications and potential incompatibilities with the originally planned feature set. It also can cause a loss of focus as the new exciting ideas tend to garner more attention from the programmer than the item that has been staring them in the face on the schedule for months. If you have been following along you would see that the game has expanded in it's scope tremendously several times. In addition to causing logistic problems, this type of scope creep can also cause a lack of focus/clear identity in the project. I hate to even mention these bombs in relation but they are famous examples........Spore and Fable 3. Both were games by well known idea guy/super creatives. Both teams reported that during production the lead kept adding new ideas and as these new ideas got added other planned features were dropped or simplified. Additionally, what we were left with was a somewhat incoherent game that felt like 2 or 3 games hastily thrown together.

I think Starbound will be great, but I worry that we are at a point of concern. Nothing overly dramatic, just someone who has observed this pattern before and doesn't want it to be repeated. 

As an example, here is their update from yesterday:
Today we set about revamping the examination system. Where examining an object used to bring up a tool tip with a description of the object in it (still accessible when the object is obtained). Your character will now comment on the object directly. Not only that but each race will comment on objects differently. This leads to some vary interesting scenarios where, for example,  you might ask your friend playing as an avian to examine an object you found in an Avian tomb because their knowledge might be greater than your own.

Of course this means I need to write 6 descriptions for everything you can investigate. Which is well over 6000+ descriptions.  So you can guess what I spent the day doing.

I managed to complete over 800 so far. Quite a way to go on that then!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:40:29 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: June 25, 2013, 08:35:12 am »

I hate to even mention these bombs in relation but they are famous examples........Spore and Fable 3.

I thought at least part of Spore's problem was also Executive Meddling? I could be wrong about that, though.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: June 25, 2013, 10:15:19 am »

Yes, supposedly eventually pressure forced them to release Spore because costs were spiraling, due to the longer than expected development cycle which could rationally be attributed to the aforementioned reported scope creep. Every feature you add outside of the original design document has the potential to increase design time, dev time, testing time and each one of these items adds costs. Further, each one is a potential source of complication in coding which usually becomes buggy gameplay or disjointed feel.

Obviously, none of this is set in stone. It's simply a matter of applying case studies and principles of product development. My own experience in this is primarily from the Biz Dev side and the exponential cost and scheduling rise.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: June 25, 2013, 11:13:00 am »

A very common source of failure for entrepreneurs is the attempting-to-do-everything syndrome.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: June 25, 2013, 11:17:21 am »

what i would have posted:
(just ignore this spoiler)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

what i post instead:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i just stay optimistic that the devs have things under control and that the game will be fun to play once it is out.
or maybe i will facepalm hard because i was wrong and i hear in 3 months that they work on "total war size army battles and civilization empire/town control with spaceship battle and..."... FEATURES...   /creepfacepalm

and i guess dwarf fortress is "feature creep, THE GAME !!!".

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: June 25, 2013, 11:21:29 am »

Those intros are impressive.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: June 25, 2013, 11:21:45 am »

Not really. As I understand it, Toady has had a coherent idea of what he wanted to do with it for a long time, it's just that the development process is, to say the least, lengthy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: June 25, 2013, 11:27:20 am »

Just to get back to the features, am I right in thinking we can build space ships and travel to other worlds? Essentially having bases on as many as we can bother to travel to? And the space stations - will those be available/buildable in single player?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: June 25, 2013, 11:49:22 am »

Nelia Hawk, I can't disagree with your opinion. It's as valid as anyone else's. I stated why I think it's scope creep(expanding a great deal beyond the original design many times now) but I can also see why you just see it as extra content. I don't care when the game comes out, as long as it's coherent and has a reasonable amount of bugs. I don't doubt the team or the game at this point. I merely voiced concern over this recent(2 month) trend now. I think DF is a game that will never release a final version, by design. Whereas Starbound has an intended release date and support schedule, implying development lifecycle. In that scenario, you must release a mostly complete game that can be patched and updated. The two are totally different concepts. Additionally, Toady has the benefit of a very long and old design document with more branches than I think he can expect to complete in his lifetime. One is a commercial game and the other is a life's work project.

Kaje, Yes you can upgrade/decorate your ship and explore planets building outposts on them. Also, they are working on a feature for MP where your guild/corporation/empire can build a shared space station but it's not definite for the finished game.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: June 25, 2013, 11:51:02 am »

Thanks hemmingjay - I pre-ordered a long time ago, but always amazed at the scope this has.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: June 25, 2013, 12:25:47 pm »

I'd just like to clarify, I'm not one of those "OMG I WANTS TEH GAEM NAOW!!!1!!!!1ELEVEN" people, even though I admit my post came across as such. What I'm more worried about is that, the longer the development time is and the more they talk about the stuff they're adding, the more hype will build and the higher expectations will be for once it finally does release. And we all saw how that panned out with Fable.

I can wait as long as it takes to get the game into my hands, time really isn't an issue to me. What I am worried about is the game being received by players as a disappointment because of how much people overhyped themselves about it. You know what the internet is like when people think they've been wronged; it would stunt any further growth and expansion of the game for sure, and that's what worries me.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: June 25, 2013, 12:36:30 pm »

I think (hope) this game will be fantastic, but at this point it seems like it will be incredibly difficult not to disappoint some of the fan base, given the rabid nature of the fandom and the expansive features under consideration.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: June 25, 2013, 02:22:39 pm »

Internet backlash will happen for everything (and has happened with this game already) regardless.

I'm absolutely certain the game will be fun and I'll sink a ton of time into it regardless, but two things worry me about it right now.

1) Some time ago, Tiy said the plan was to develop weekly free content updates to the game post-release, with a separate team working on larger content patches at longer intervals. That needs to be balanced out with bug fixes, and they only have a handful (2? 3?) of coders that will be split between bugfixing and implementation of new features. They have several people doing graphics and data entry... that could lead to bottlenecks and schedule slip for either project team.

2) Everything they add now adds more complexity and potential pitfalls to a game that isn't officially codified yet. Post-release, there's always an established "baseline" for content, so if something needs to be integrated, you just look at what the game already is and make the new stuff fit. Now, if someone has a great idea, there's no pressure to conform with a baseline, since you can just re-write or add parts to the core game. They have several cooks making the soup, and the recipe is still being written, to metaphorize it.

In short, CONTENT can (and was promised to be) constantly added post-release anyway, so we're not inherently missing out on it if it's not done right now.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: June 30, 2013, 09:08:00 pm »

Some good news coming tomorrow. No, not THAT good, but good nevertheless.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: June 30, 2013, 09:09:15 pm »

Some good news coming tomorrow. No, not THAT good, but good nevertheless.
Good to hear, still.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 565