Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944471 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #1140 on: April 13, 2013, 11:23:13 pm »

Agreed, the animation looked weird and off. But I don't think the art dev of Terraria is on this... I think. Can't say definitely.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 13, 2013, 11:37:44 pm »

Russian. Some things are just plain cheatingly cheaper in Rubles on Steam. For example, Far Cry 3 is $50. If I were to buy it directly for USD, it'd translate to... well, about 1550 RUR. On Steam, I can buy it for 799 RUR. It's not the same for all things, some retain their prices, but it works for quite a lot of titles. KSP for $23, or 715 RUR? Listed for 450. Just recently bought Stardrive for 430.

So, I think it can still work out in the end. Not to mention all the conversion fees I'll save on. ^_^

Oh, you lucky bastard. I think I might just have to move to the Motherland now.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 13, 2013, 11:45:02 pm »

Agreed, the animation looked weird and off. But I don't think the art dev of Terraria is on this... I think. Can't say definitely.

Redigit was the art dev for terraria, IIRC. He's leading the project. However, you need only watch the recorded streams to see how much better it looks than Terraria.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 13, 2013, 11:54:22 pm »

Redigit was the art dev for terraria, IIRC. He's leading the project. However, you need only watch the recorded streams to see how much better it looks than Terraria.

I don't mean the animation either. Jumping, running, and walking was wonky in Terraria which is why most of the enemies are the "walk into you slowly" kind.

I just want to know if the controls are solid enough that the game actually starts requiring skill.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 13, 2013, 11:58:26 pm »

On the contrary, Tiy, the art dev of Terraria is the Lead in Starbound. although, i am not sure you can "blame" (i really don't think there's nothing to blame to in terraria in terms of art) him for terraria visuals since he was brought in after the engine was 90%++ done to replace the placeholder art which was really "borrowed" from another game, which means he never had the chance to conceive a graphical vision that is supported by the engine from the get go. take Bastion for example, a game which has his two main selling points (Visuals and Audio - lets be honest, it doesn't have much more than that) closely knitted to the engine; had the artist just came in the last second, i am not sure you would have seen so many different blocks or other graphical goodness. and i am not talking about having all the art done at the start of the development, i am talking about the general art style and vision for the game which i am willing to bet was more or less there as some sort of animated mock up even before the engine could support it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:04:05 am by burningpet »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 13, 2013, 11:59:02 pm »

I'm under the impression that the graphics were done by some guy calling himself Red Yoshi or something like that. Basically who ever did the graphics for Super Mario Bros X (Another of Redigits works), so you know he is more well suited to recoloring, rather than doing his own sprites.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 14, 2013, 12:11:39 am »

Wait I meant to say Tiy, not Redigit. Shit. Whatever. I never could keep up with terraria's development or team, it always seemed to change so much.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 14, 2013, 12:19:46 am »

Wait I meant to say Tiy, not Redigit. Shit. Whatever. I never could keep up with terraria's development or team, it always seemed to change so much.
Well as far i remember it was Red, Blue and tyi, the only one not color thats how i remembered it.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 14, 2013, 07:13:41 am »

I am hovering on the edge of preordering this... for those that did... what in particular about this game makes it a must-have for you?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 14, 2013, 07:16:47 am »

Terraria.

In space.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: April 14, 2013, 07:21:13 am »

I am hovering on the edge of preordering this... for those that did... what in particular about this game makes it a must-have for you?

hoverslug convinced me

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: April 14, 2013, 07:31:17 am »

hoverslug convinced me
That looks like something they adapted from Ratchet & Clank.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: April 14, 2013, 07:39:35 am »

Terraria.

In space.
It's not really Terraria in Space.
It is so much more.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: April 14, 2013, 07:44:09 am »

Terraria.

In space.
It is so much more.

Could you briefly elaborate for the uninformed (i.e. me)?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: April 14, 2013, 07:50:38 am »

Terraria.

In space.
It is so much more.

Could you briefly elaborate for the uninformed (i.e. me)?

Well.. I am not very good at explaining stuff.
But I have a question first, have you been to their website, seen the dev vids on youtube?
If you have and is still not convinced, I am not sure I can convince you either.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 565