Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945129 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #975 on: January 19, 2013, 10:49:19 pm »

Never been really hyped for a game that actually delivered?  I have a few times.  Quake, Half-Life 2, Portal, Xenosaga, and FF6 all come to mind.  I was prepared to be mind-blown and was successfully mind-blown.  I have also been mind-blown when completely unprepared, like with Stalker.
I'm definitely looking forward to this game, but I tend to get hyped for particular games.  Let's see, there was Swords of the Stars II, Elemental: War of Magic, Master of Orion 3... :D

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 20, 2013, 01:30:13 am »

Yeah this is probably my most anticipated game ever. Was pretty hyped for Oblivion though. And Skyrim too after that even despite Oblivion...

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 20, 2013, 02:29:15 am »

Never been really hyped for a game that actually delivered?  I have a few times.  Quake, Half-Life 2, Portal, Xenosaga, and FF6 all come to mind.  I was prepared to be mind-blown and was successfully mind-blown.  I have also been mind-blown when completely unprepared, like with Stalker.
I'm definitely looking forward to this game, but I tend to get hyped for particular games.  Let's see, there was Swords of the Stars II, Elemental: War of Magic, Master of Orion 3... :D
Ive been mindblowned by stalker too, first tim ei saw the game i was meh... bah why not its on sale and im bored. Then i went "How the hell did i miss that?!" same happent for borderland, first the cartoonish side of the game turned me down and then i tried it... since then, frack graphics i go in anyway. ( DF was the only exeption to graphc requirement and its basicly the game that opened my eye about the graphics, then borderland literaly took that requirement off completly. )

Terraria i was hyped, really hyped, and it met my expectation totally, the only thing that turned me down is Redigit anoncement out of the blue stating that he stopped devlopment. Then the other anoncement about the new terraria release for console, leaving PC behind.... I was pissed but real pissed.

On topic, this game got my hyped much more than terraria and i cannot wait for the release. Really looking to play this game with lots of friend from this community or real life friend, wichever allow me to play on multiplayer wihtout having to worry about griefing. Prank im fine with, but griefing no thank you.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 25, 2013, 07:59:21 pm »

Not like earth shattering news. But if anyone missed it there was a huge IRC Q&A thing that ended an hour or so ago. Details here if anyone wants to see what was asked.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 25, 2013, 08:00:49 pm »

Damnit. I watch the forum all day, and just when I decide to watch a movie, there's activity?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 26, 2013, 12:58:41 pm »

One thing I'd like is some sort of building demo. Limited area, but you've got all the blocks thus far and you can mess around and build stuff in it.

http://www.twitch.tv/tiyuri/b/358327354

Have fun.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 26, 2013, 06:57:46 pm »

I know this isn't the place for this sort of stuff, but a youTube search for "Starbound leaked beta" might bring up something interesting.

Of course, from what I saw, the instructions actually read more like "How to download a virus, and a d/l manager that will backdoor your computer's security until it squeals like pig, sucked in you evil pirate", but it is information of sorts.

I wonder what the purpose of a leaked beta would be in a game that connects to a server? Or is local-only play available? And what does this mean from the data-mining and exploit finding end for stuff like Pvp?

Just thoughts about it, I don't do anything like that myself. I see Starbound as a fun game that I'm willing to wait and pay for, not some ultra-competitive epeen enlargement tool. Even with it's seeded-pseudo-randomization, the data-mining side of things might be interesting. Not so much from a leaked beta (which I don't believe actually exists), but just for more info on the game. As well as it's potential modability in the future (how much is hard-coded, what formats would mod-tools take, etc).
It's a game. Have fun.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: January 26, 2013, 08:25:56 pm »

One thing I'd like is some sort of building demo. Limited area, but you've got all the blocks thus far and you can mess around and build stuff in it.

http://www.twitch.tv/tiyuri/b/358327354

Have fun.
Two things:

A) that's a video, not a demo.
B)'Sorry, this broadcast is no longer available on justin.tv. Check out the channel!' and the URL leads to a video that doesn't work.

Sorry i misunderstood about demo/video, and when i posted the link it was workng and now its not o.O

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 04, 2013, 10:25:12 pm »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 04, 2013, 10:30:43 pm »

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 04, 2013, 10:34:11 pm »

well new harvesting and buildung, weapons fire no enemies but still a lot more than has been seen before.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 05, 2013, 03:26:01 pm »

I'm not impressed.  Or happy.

I want Terraria Evolved... that's not what I'm seeing.

Gripes: The sprites are too big, as are the world tiles.  This means that you can't see much of the world at one time.

It looks overall ugly.  (Maybe that's because the video is so lo-def.)  I think they're going for more realistic rendered sprites, but I think the stylized stuff works better.  The design needs to work with the human eye, we need to be able to tell the important stuff from the background with just a glance.

Inventory management looked worse than Terraria.  I don't know how they managed to do that.

Fluids seems to be the same as Terraria, except that they might evaporate.  Surely they can find a better fluid model.

Good points: the armor sets are imaginative.  I liked the red showgirl costume, and the superhero right at the end.

And yes, I know the game is not finished, I know there are placeholders.  Doesn't matter.  This is basic design stuff, it's pretty much nailed down at this point.

I'm going to think long and hard before deciding whether to buy this.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #987 on: February 05, 2013, 03:27:12 pm »

Cool. I'm buying it when it comes out.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 05, 2013, 04:18:00 pm »

I'm not that impressed by the stream, but I'm not disappointed by it either.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 05, 2013, 09:23:45 pm »

Fluids seems to be the same as Terraria, except that they might evaporate.  Surely they can find a better fluid model.
Fluid will support pressure (allowing U-bends etc) which is a big step above terraria.

I do want this game. Particularly if its only $10 - $15.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 565