Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944644 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #360 on: May 28, 2012, 02:46:48 am »

Actually it is even easier if you just use my key and lock combination

Gender 1: Sperm 1
Gender 2: Sperm 2
Gender 3: Sperm 3 and Egg 1
Gender 4: Egg 2
Gender 5: Sperm 1 and Egg 3
Gender 6: Egg 2, Egg 3, Egg 1, Sperm 2

Tada a Six gender system using my Lock and key method.

Your example Biag is

Gender 1: Key 1 with Lock 2
Gender 2: Key 2
Gender 3: Lock 1 with Lock 2

--

It can also get complex when we add gender identities.

For example there are Genderless races that identify members of their race as being male or female (such as Pinatas from Viva Pinata, The Smurfs, or Transformers)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:51:45 am by Neonivek »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 28, 2012, 02:57:02 am »

Gendering and bird boning aside, yeah the Avians look damn cool (and of course hot) and I love the art style used in the example picture.

If this game was more detailed than little 2D sprites I would definitely play as one to stare at, maybe even a male one like I do occasionally in TES games for Argonians. Because damn. Wonder what else is coming up for races.

* Janet crosses her fingers for cute aquatic lizards or fox people.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 28, 2012, 03:34:48 am »

Assuming we're working with genetic transfer, and not something like crystallized memories, spiritual inheritance, etc. gender identities don't really count as those are societal and neither should the aforementioned example of a pheromone bearer as that doesn't actually involve the blending of genetic data. (And, to carry the example of 'organized involved in, but not contributing to' reproductive habits, that would mean that bees are a third sex to who knows how many plants...)

As it is, I'm seeing limited use for an evolutionary cause for a third sex. On one end, you have a single sex that tends to undergo genetic modification through chance or copying defects. With two, you have a good chance of diversity without it being overly difficult to find a partner. With greater numbers, the complexity of reproduction rises and the amount of genetic drift. But just what kind of pressure would splinter off a even more sexes? The kind of things that would induce that, in my amateur opinion, are more likely to render a species extinct or bring about extreme dimorphism (I feel bad for male angler fish...). (There're also probably various chemical reasons why you wouldn't see much in the way of tri+-nodal genetic material, though I can't speak on that at all.)

However, this can be largely waved away through existing lore: "Avian numbers were beginning to dwindle when a superior race took pity and bestowed the gift of advanced technology upon them." Numbers could've been beginning to dwindle due to reproductive problems and one of the things introduced to them is cloning (with any number of individuals involved!... within reason. There's only so much genetic material an individual needs.) or some other tweak to their systems. Maybe they were all made hermaphroditic. Solves a lot of problems that way.

(Which, now that I think about it, I wonder why hermaphrodites aren't seen more often. Well, looking that up will keep me occupied all night.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 28, 2012, 03:57:26 am »

Which, now that I think about it, I wonder why hermaphrodites aren't seen more often

Because that would be a truely alien gender identity and would be hard to depict.

Even Star Trek once tried to handle a genderless race and even they couldn't do it without making it a large blob of grey (because as it turns out gender existed)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 28, 2012, 04:35:07 am »

Your example Bag is

Gender 1: Key 1 with Lock 2
Gender 2: Key 2
Gender 3: Lock 1 with Lock 2

I just hope this race isn't sapient (err sentient? human levels of intelligence and thought) cause our own species has enough problems just pairing two of us together.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 28, 2012, 04:50:28 am »

But are they birdmen or birdelves? :)
Sounds more like

BIRDDWARVES!
Hell yeah!

(edit, we could always edit the textures to give them beards i guess. and eventually mod them to be on fire)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 28, 2012, 05:45:28 am »

But are they birdmen or birdelves? :)
(edit, we could always edit the textures to give them beards i guess. and eventually mod them to be on fire)

"No, I'm not throwing napalm grenades at you, I'm trying to make a mod for some guy on bay12. Nice abs btw......"
It's a game. Have fun.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 28, 2012, 07:23:22 am »

I think those are quite obivously breasts on that particular Avian, if you ask me :P
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 28, 2012, 07:42:03 am »

They could be a pair of chesticles. Big, red, hairy (feathery?) chesticals. Explains the abs really. And the weird beak. You never want to accidentally peck your own chesticals whilst flying your jetpack to the temple.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:46:55 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 28, 2012, 08:12:47 am »

more idea:

Change textures SO WE CAN HAVE BEARD TREES :D

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 28, 2012, 09:57:28 am »

I just hope there will be a planet with little dwarves digging fortresses and elves making treehouses and kobolds stealing, final boss: Mad dwarves and skeletal elephants!!
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 28, 2012, 01:03:38 pm »

I think those are quite obivously breasts on that particular Avian, if you ask me :P

I don't know... if Zero from MegamanX has taught me anything it is not to look to far into exagerated breasts.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 28, 2012, 01:16:22 pm »

Its a breastplate br0.

Oh jesus satan science I'm so sorry for this.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 28, 2012, 01:18:57 pm »

damn, why is it every time I start to get annoyed by the flaws with current video games, somebody announces a work in progress that addresses most of them, and why cant it ever be a finished game!

lol, anyways, heres hoping we get a variety of animal-like races to go with any truly alien ones.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 28, 2012, 01:22:29 pm »

lol, anyways, heres hoping we get a variety of animal-like races to go with any truly alien ones.

I hope there is a planet made of bread and populated with hyper-intelligent hummus.

(is it lunch time yet?)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 565