Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187682 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #765 on: December 19, 2010, 03:18:17 pm »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: December 19, 2010, 03:20:24 pm »

Yeah, but steady state is observably and provably wrong.

I was made to understand that an information barrier prevented us from recovering any facts from before 10~ billion years ago. Humans have no idea how long the universe has truly existed nor what proportion of this existence we have available to study.
The information barrier you speak of is directly related to the fact that the universe does in fact have a finite age. You can't see anything further than ~13 billion ly because the light from whatever's further away did not have enough time to reach us yet. If the universe were infinitely old, then there would be no such barrier.
But maybe you're confusing the age of the universe with it's "extent", which might just as well be infinite, and we indeed do not know, or will be ever able to know(other than waiting for the light to reach us) what lies outside the observable limit.
Furthermore, the observation of cosmic microwave background radiation, and the measurements of distant objects' redshift are strongly supporting the expanding universe.

Steady state also does not make much sense due to the unsustainability of such a perfect equilibrium(nothing falls unto each other).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: December 19, 2010, 03:20:43 pm »

Just close this.
just ban this guy.
Just everyone calm down, we have no need to fight.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: December 19, 2010, 03:27:40 pm »

Just ban... Everyone.

And dont forget to deliver that ham to Ichabod Crane's house.

Yeah, but steady state is observably and provably wrong.

I was made to understand that an information barrier prevented us from recovering any facts from before 10~ billion years ago. Humans have no idea how long the universe has truly existed nor what proportion of this existence we have available to study.
The information barrier you speak of is directly related to the fact that the universe does in fact have a finite age. You can't see anything further than ~13 billion ly because the light from whatever's further away did not have enough time to reach us yet. If the universe were infinitely old, then there would be no such barrier.
But maybe you're confusing the age of the universe with it's "extent", which might just as well be infinite, and we indeed do not know, or will be ever able to know(other than waiting for the light to reach us) what lies outside the observable limit.
Furthermore, the observation of cosmic microwave background radiation, and the measurements of distant objects' redshift are strongly supporting the expanding universe.

Steady state also does not make much sense due to the unsustainability of such a perfect equilibrium(nothing falls unto each other).

Yes, but that's all assuming that the universe and all existence spawned out of nothingness ~13 billion years ago.
However, if that is the case, then it is perfectly reasonable to assume that some sort of new "universe"(though I dont see why anyone would call it that, it just being another part of the first one) will spawn itself out of the heat death or big ripped ruins of this "universe". This would mean that any period of time that does not resemble this one could be merely written off as a passing phase, particularly because only the most exceptional observer would be around to write off anything.
Signature goes here.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: December 19, 2010, 03:32:28 pm »

Just close this.
just ban this guy.
Just everyone calm down, we have no need to fight.

we're not fighting, we're not even participating in the discussion... i'm lurking around and enjoying a relatively healthy discussion, and that comment hit me as passing pigeon's crapping.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: December 19, 2010, 03:34:17 pm »

So you up the ante by throwing dog shit?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: December 19, 2010, 03:38:17 pm »

Yes, but that's all assuming that the universe and all existence spawned out of nothingness ~13 billion years ago.
However, if that is the case, then it is perfectly reasonable to assume that some sort of new "universe"(though I dont see why anyone would call it that, it just being another part of the first one) will spawn itself out of the heat death or big ripped ruins of this "universe". This would mean that any period of time that does not resemble this one could be merely written off as a passing phase, particularly because only the most exceptional observer would be around to write off anything.
Yeah, well, possible I guess? But that's hardly a steady state model.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: December 19, 2010, 03:41:55 pm »

Stead state model is of the Devil!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: December 19, 2010, 03:44:10 pm »

(Total disclosure, I just noticed this thread and 50~ pages are too many to read while I set up my soap box.)
Make sure you read the 300+ pages of the previous thread as well.  ;)

If it didn't happen by 'chance' then I want my money back, as any creator worth her salt could have done a much better job.
That's quite a statement as A: you paid no money and B: until we provably can do a better job, we can't say that. And even then, how would we know if our creation of "better" wasn't God's purpose for humans all along?
Right now I'm attempting to program a simulation of the world (yes really, no not accurate and yes very abstracted), but the sheer variety of Nature is boggling. Trying to match all that is next to impossible.

Try it. Design something better than it is in real life, and make sure that you also have a universe in which it can live, and it must be able to evolve from basic elements.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: December 19, 2010, 03:49:39 pm »

So you up the ante by throwing dog shit?

eh, i figured a sarcastic remark would be a more fitting response to a three word comment than an elaborate apology of the thread(as in "Socrates Apology", not as an "i apopogise" apology, my non native vocabulary and sleep deprived intelect failed to provide a better word)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: December 19, 2010, 03:59:37 pm »

Try it. Design something better than it is in real life, and make sure that you also have a universe in which it can live, and it must be able to evolve from basic elements.

I guess Omnipotence doesn't go as far as it used to.

Or are you just assuming that the way things are are the way they are 'supposed' to be? Supposed to be for what? Why do you think your existence is so important that its inclusion was a given?
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: December 19, 2010, 04:04:39 pm »

Or are you just assuming that the way things are are the way they are 'supposed' to be? Supposed to be for what?
We've got our Entertainment Centers built right next to our Sewage Disposal System. It was supposed to be kinky.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: December 19, 2010, 04:06:11 pm »

Supposed to be for what?
If we were told, that'd be spoiling the ending.  ;D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: December 19, 2010, 04:07:44 pm »

No, it's evidence for the universe beginning its expansion 13 billion years ago.

I don't think any Big Bang theories have a time of "nothing".  Apart from anything else, there wouldn't have been time before it.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: December 19, 2010, 04:16:28 pm »

Supposed to be for what?
If we were told, that'd be spoiling the ending.  ;D

If you don't understand what this existence would be designed for then you have no business claiming that it was designed.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 194