Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187716 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #750 on: December 18, 2010, 11:53:28 pm »

-Stuff-

None of this matters

The only thing that does, is when you look up at the sky, and begin to contemplate its vastness do you go "Wow, there is no way something this amazing could have happened just by chance" or "Wow, its amazing how all of this happened just by chance"
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 19, 2010, 12:46:28 am »

"Wow, its amazing how all of this happened just by chance"

If by "this happened just by chance" you're referring to the initial conditions like physical laws and constants, I'll leave it alone.

If you instead mean something more along the lines of "events are random", I'd call that a misconception (in much the same manner as "we couldn't have evolved by chance therefore intelligent design").  By all appearances, all things are fairly deterministic consequences of the initial conditions and rules of the game.  I'd say strictly so, but that's very debatable, though it's obvious the random element is bounded.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 19, 2010, 12:47:53 am »

It sounded better then "Wow, its amazing how there is not a God"

It also worked.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 19, 2010, 01:32:26 am »

I know I said I would leave but there's a lot of ground to cover.

For starters. The compatibility of the Big Bang Theory and creationism.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 19, 2010, 01:56:13 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I keep this around for just such a discussion.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 19, 2010, 02:01:16 am »

If you consider G-d to be a wizard than I'm fine with that.

The idea of the big bang and creationism are not inherently polar opposites. I see the possibility that 1. G-d caused the big bang. 2. G-d has done this numerous times and this is just one in a long line.

This idea goes with the theory of evolution as well.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 19, 2010, 05:16:29 am »

The only thing that does, is when you look up at the sky, and begin to contemplate its vastness do you go "Wow, there is no way something this amazing could have happened just by chance" or "Wow, its amazing how all of this happened just by chance"

If it didn't happen by 'chance' then I want my money back, as any creator worth her salt could have done a much better job.

Note I put 'chance' in quotes as it's not an accurate view of how evolution works, although it is the most common.

The idea of the big bang and creationism are not inherently polar opposites. I see the possibility that 1. G-d caused the big bang. 2. G-d has done this numerous times and this is just one in a long line.

Creationism is a polar opposite of the big bang theory, however this doesn't mean point 1 is wrong, just that it's not creationism, at least as worded even if it's a form of creation. Please do not try and claim otherwise without understanding what the creationism cult are attempt to suggest is the case.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 19, 2010, 07:11:34 am »

If you consider G-d to be a wizard than I'm fine with that.
It's a joke based on a tvtrope (basically "handwave anything you can't explain").

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 19, 2010, 10:46:54 am »

-Stuff-

None of this matters

That is a (bad) justification for a god, but it's not a justification for any specific god. The only god that such reasoning even somewhat supports is the so vague as to be useless anyways. Such a god doesn't need to be worshiped, and certainly isn't Yahweh or Jesus or Vishnu.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 19, 2010, 11:17:30 am »

That is a (bad) justification for a god, but it's not a justification for any specific god.

Blah..??..?.

Its not a justification for a God, its the gut feeing you get when you know there is, or isn't a God. You can make up justifications later to become the focus of hatred for everyone that doesn't agree with you.

You missed the point of that post completely.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 19, 2010, 11:35:57 am »

(Total disclosure, I just noticed this thread and 50~ pages are too many to read while I set up my soap box.)

Anyways.........

Whether by chance or by G-O-D, the big bang is bunk. Steady State is the only formula that makes any sense.

The argument by the religious is that something cant come from nothing.
The response is usually "Big Bang!"

But that just avoids the question of what is it all from. Most answers do.

The only complete philosophy is the Steady State Hypothesis. All that ever is is and shall ever be. No supreme being but itself and none other allowed. Big Bangs need not apply.

The Anti-Hoyle at its best.
Signature goes here.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 19, 2010, 11:48:40 am »

Yeah, but steady state is observably and provably wrong.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 19, 2010, 01:04:09 pm »

If it didn't happen by 'chance' then I want my money back, as any creator worth her salt could have done a much better job.

Note I put 'chance' in quotes as it's not an accurate view of how evolution works, although it is the most common.

Creationism is a polar opposite of the big bang theory, however this doesn't mean point 1 is wrong, just that it's not creationism, at least as worded even if it's a form of creation. Please do not try and claim otherwise without understanding what the creationism cult are attempt to suggest is the case.

What are they attempting to suggest? And aren't I part of that cult?

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 19, 2010, 02:30:32 pm »

Just close this.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 19, 2010, 02:51:14 pm »

Yeah, but steady state is observably and provably wrong.

I was made to understand that an information barrier prevented us from recovering any facts from before 10~ billion years ago. Humans have no idea how long the universe has truly existed nor what proportion of this existence we have available to study.
Signature goes here.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 194