Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187680 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #660 on: December 17, 2010, 10:50:04 am »

Cause I remember this video a guy made. He included the cruelty that Christianity caused. I may be wrong about this but. What! I've read or had read to me, near the entirety of the Old Testament. Not much vast cruelty.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 17, 2010, 10:54:01 am »

Well, if what the OT says is true, then the israelites pretty much butchered all the subhumans that weren't part of their little tribe in hilariously over-the-top violence.
Then again, that might've just been the expected conduct, back in the day.

I stick to my "'sall propaganna".
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 17, 2010, 11:07:12 am »

Aren't they still doing that?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 17, 2010, 11:15:56 am »

Depends on how ya look at it. Do you consider circumcision mutilation? If so then yes.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 17, 2010, 12:02:43 pm »

Nope. You think it's true because you believe it, not the other way around. There has been some funny research in that area: Confronted with facts that oppose one's belief, the belief only gets stronger instead of weaker. The only way to do it was to confront people in a certain way. For instance, they asked US conservative voters: "Should we bring the amount of taxmoney that goes to welfare down to 1%?" They all voted either yes, of course, and the more lenient ones thought that was a bit harsh but it should still be lowered. Then they were told the amount right now is already at 1%. And that actually hit them right in the metaphorical belief-stomach, and made their judgement more lenient towards welfare. The control group was told the 1% value in advance, and continued to believe it should be lowered. The conclusion was that facts alone cannot sway ones belief, people will either mold their beliefs around it or just disbelieve the facts. Confronting facts can however sway beliefs if they're brought in the right way. (googlegoogle nope can't find source again, you'll just have to... ahem... believe me :P)
All that shows is how effective leading questions are.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 17, 2010, 12:07:45 pm »

Depends on how ya look at it. Do you consider circumcision mutilation? If so then yes.
What's worse is female circumcision. Male circumcision is the equivalent to cutting off earlobes, or pinkies. Female circumcision is the equivalent to gutting out the entire ear, or every finger but the thumb. It's... horrible.

Anyways, I just had an almost interesting visit by some christians who wanted to teach about the truth of christmas. I reflexively winced and told them "no thank you, I'm an atheist. I celebrate christmas because I'm culturally christian, not by belief.

They thanked me, asked me if I knew that Jesus wasn't born in December. "That's right," I said, "born in the springtime."
"Do you know why it's in december?" they asked.
"Yeah, We celebrate it now for the same reason we use christmas trees and eggs and easter bunnies. The catholics did it that way to convert other religions".
They smiled, thanked me and went on their way. That was better than I was expecting from door-to-door christian evangelists.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 17, 2010, 12:14:21 pm »

From what I gathered by media consumption and talking to jews, the Israeli position can be roughly summed up as following:

• We're minority, and a weird one at that
  • People are bastards, and like to pick on minorities; weird ones especially
  • We don't like to be picked on
  • So we get into a country of our own, where for once we are the majority
  • Our new neighbours don't like that, because the land we live on belonged to their ancestors once

And here comes the less official part:

• So we kill the shit out of them in retaliation for every fart they make in our general direction
  • It's Deterrence, baby!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 17, 2010, 12:41:49 pm »

What's the general opinion of the acts of the Israelites during the Old Testament? Cruel?

First try at a best seller. They did ok, but they ended up rewriting parts and adding stuff, they also redid one of the main characters renaming Joseph to Jesus. He did way better with the younger crowd and teenagers.

It sold better but after a while they just bundled it up and it took off, sales where through the roof.

Oh yeah, Mel Gibson bought the movie rights, I liked the book more. LOTR is way better in book or movie. I would get that for christmas instead of the "Bible, the Directors Cut".
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 12:50:45 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #668 on: December 17, 2010, 01:06:13 pm »

Cause I remember this video a guy made. He included the cruelty that Christianity caused. I may be wrong about this but. What! I've read or had read to me, near the entirety of the Old Testament. Not much vast cruelty.

Christianity != Judaism

Really, I don't understand why Christians feel the need to include the Old Testament. It's blatantly mythological. It has 600 some commandments that they don't follow. And a large part of it is a folk history of the Israelites.

The New Testament seems like a pretty self-contained holy book to me.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 17, 2010, 01:07:50 pm »

It tells the beginning of Christianity. And besides I for one still follow the Sabbath as layed out in the Old Testament.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 17, 2010, 01:13:33 pm »

• Our new neighbours don't like that, because the land we live on belonged to their ancestors once them until the land was arbitrarily declared ours

Andir

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #671 on: December 17, 2010, 01:15:54 pm »

It tells the beginning of Christianity. And besides I for one still follow the Sabbath as layed out in the Old Testament.
    I'm following one right now: "From here on out, every Friday is a holiday." - FSM
    "Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #672 on: December 17, 2010, 01:18:10 pm »

For me, once it's sundown I can't use electricity, finish a project, cook anything, start a fire, put out a fire, tie my shoes, untie my shoes, start a car, and various other things.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #673 on: December 17, 2010, 01:28:55 pm »

Wasn't the friday/ saturday sabbath something Jesus specifically broke...?

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
    • <Intentionally left blank>
      • View Profile
    « Reply #674 on: December 17, 2010, 01:34:19 pm »

Wasn't the friday/ saturday sabbath something Jesus specifically broke...?

No biggy, turned out he's a Catholic I think and they are all about forgiveness anway. Two Hail Marys and it's a done deal and forgiven. ;)
    « Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:37:32 pm by Sinned »
    When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.
    Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 194