Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187737 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #645 on: December 16, 2010, 09:04:00 pm »

to agree that men and women should be abolished and everyone needs to be androgynous

When did this happen?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #646 on: December 16, 2010, 09:32:24 pm »

What do you even mean by insecurities?
This. So much this. I don't even know what you're talking about, it just sounds like...I don't even know, nothing.
Does anybody (Siquo started this I think) care to answer this? You can't argue against something when you're arguing something completely different than the other person. I know there's something wrong with the whole "people believe what they need to believe" and "people believe to solve insecurities" kind of thing, but it's impossible to argue against it without defining the terms of need and insecurity.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #647 on: December 16, 2010, 09:46:07 pm »

I'm guessing what he means is this:

People have certain fears about themselves and the world. Each religion is best suited to assuage specific fears and therefore the religion a person choses is the one best suited to their particular mix of fears.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 16, 2010, 10:51:35 pm »

this loosely reminds me of a critique on the question why. Re looking up the video in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMFPe-DwULM
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 16, 2010, 10:52:29 pm »

I gotta go with that one. And Shrugging Khan, I find that jokes like "Weak-women like nerves" are funny. But like religion it's best to keep it to yourself on a public forum.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 17, 2010, 12:06:53 am »

I just thought I would reply to show you this.
It used to be on his (Coughlan's) channel, but that got deleted for "Copyright Infringement".

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #651 on: December 17, 2010, 01:07:13 am »

this loosely reminds me of a critique on the question why. Re looking up the video in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMFPe-DwULM
Relates to religion really well, I can see why you posted it. I can't explain why I believe what I believe, I just do. It wasn't indoctrinated in me, it wasn't even suggested to me by any outside (non-spiritual) force. The same should be said of all people. Unfortunately, religion is imprinted early on people. They need a chance to explore their own religion and beliefs.

By the way, here's a challenge for monotheists only (it's an interesting video though, so you should watch it even if you're not monotheistic). Basically, it boils down to proving that there's only one god, as opposed to multiple. Completely ignore whether gods exist at all, just prove that there is one god.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 17, 2010, 05:14:11 am »

What do you even mean by insecurities?
This. So much this. I don't even know what you're talking about, it just sounds like...I don't even know, nothing.
Does anybody (Siquo started this I think) care to answer this? You can't argue against something when you're arguing something completely different than the other person. I know there's something wrong with the whole "people believe what they need to believe" and "people believe to solve insecurities" kind of thing, but it's impossible to argue against it without defining the terms of need and insecurity.
Yeah, time zones and all.

Insecurities can range from fear to the actual meaning of the word until anything you're not sure about (and have a feeling with that unsure-ness). To elaborate: the difference between "I don't know, but that's ok" and "I don't know, and it bugs me that I don't". People continuously make up elaborate stories, behaviour and beliefs to "fix", alleviate, aggravate or otherwise answer these feelings. Up until here, basic 1st-year uni psychology. To continue from there:

I pose that the beliefs people hold, are there because they need them.
For instance, one might convert to "believing in yourself" for fear of being bullshitted by other people. One might turn to God for fear of death, or to a vengeful God for feeling that there's not enough justice in the world, to a loving God for feeling unloved. Or to a religion to get a sense of belonging, for fear of being alone.
One might turn to Atheism for fear of being wrong.

(I love sentences that at once insult and flatter the recipient ;) choose your flavour)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 17, 2010, 05:56:13 am »

I gotta go with that one. And Shrugging Khan, I find that jokes like "Weak-women like nerves" are funny. But like religion it's best to keep it to yourself on a public forum.
Can't have word-fight without giving some - keeping to yourself doesn't make for much of a dispute.

I'm curious, is Shrugging Khan still out here
No, he went to his little hidey-hole, called the moderators because people were mean to him, and cried himself to hibernation.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 17, 2010, 08:19:15 am »

I pose that the beliefs people hold, are there because they need them.
For instance, one might convert to "believing in yourself" for fear of being bullshitted by other people. One might turn to God for fear of death, or to a vengeful God for feeling that there's not enough justice in the world, to a loving God for feeling unloved. Or to a religion to get a sense of belonging, for fear of being alone.
One might turn to Atheism for fear of being wrong.
Yeah, go ahead and arbitrarily stamp motives onto everyone.  We don't mind.

Seriously, no positive reasons for holding a belief?  Or just holding one because you think it's true?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 17, 2010, 08:53:40 am »

Honestly, I think Siquo hits it pretty much square on. I really hate being wrong.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 17, 2010, 10:25:37 am »

Yeah, go ahead and arbitrarily stamp motives onto everyone.  We don't mind.
Ahwell, as long as we crossed the generalisation threshold already I might as well contribute to it, right? :)
Seriously, no positive reasons for holding a belief?  Or just holding one because you think it's true?
Nope. You think it's true because you believe it, not the other way around. There has been some funny research in that area: Confronted with facts that oppose one's belief, the belief only gets stronger instead of weaker. The only way to do it was to confront people in a certain way. For instance, they asked US conservative voters: "Should we bring the amount of taxmoney that goes to welfare down to 1%?" They all voted either yes, of course, and the more lenient ones thought that was a bit harsh but it should still be lowered. Then they were told the amount right now is already at 1%. And that actually hit them right in the metaphorical belief-stomach, and made their judgement more lenient towards welfare. The control group was told the 1% value in advance, and continued to believe it should be lowered. The conclusion was that facts alone cannot sway ones belief, people will either mold their beliefs around it or just disbelieve the facts. Confronting facts can however sway beliefs if they're brought in the right way. (googlegoogle nope can't find source again, you'll just have to... ahem... believe me :P)

I believe being wrong is an opportunity to learn. Being right is just standing still.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 17, 2010, 10:27:26 am »

Being right is just standing still.
As long as you stand still on the right spot  ;D

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 17, 2010, 10:28:12 am »

What's the general opinion of the acts of the Israelites during the Old Testament? Cruel?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 17, 2010, 10:44:36 am »

Propaganda. Might be all they ever did was kick a few shepherds in the balls and call it a military triumph.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 194