Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What happened to dwarf fortress?  (Read 6872 times)

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to dwarf fortress?
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2023, 08:59:50 pm »

Hello, I have not played the game for some years. I saw it on steam ! Which reminded me that it exists.

I tried the steam version but did not really like it and refunded it as all the keys are different and a lot of the menus are different.  It tends to run slow too.

The last playable version appears to be 47.05, there does not appear to be any linux binaries for the new 50.x version .

If I remember it right, the last version I was playing is 40.0x so I guess there is still 7 versions of new stuff to checkout before the game is unavailable from the enforced control change and lack of binary? It can be played in the proton I think.

What compelled this series of events? I have not kept up to date for 10 years. Is the magic arc done yet?

I don't understand what you're asking. What series of events?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2023, 11:46:51 pm »

I don't understand what you're asking. What series of events?

It's the series of events starting with ThreeToe getting cancer.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 11:49:27 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2023, 12:10:47 pm »

This is going to be even more evident when adventure mode hits Steam and you have to manually click through every... single... attack target. Though I expect most people who don't like hotkeys aren't going to be using advanced attack anyways, just walking into enemies and letting the game pick attacks.

Well, the good news here is that Toady said that there would be full keyboard support for the adventure mode menus from day one so that won't be a problem at least.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2023, 02:23:19 pm »

I think the new hybrid UI for adventure mode will probably gradually be implemented into fort mode as well as it becomes more and more clear that it's in high demand (in fact I believe Toady has hinted at this in the past, correct me if I'm wrong).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2023, 02:53:30 pm »

I believe so.  I can't remember when and where it was said, but I'm pretty sure it was in one of the recent interviews that he confirmed that they planned to make fort mode totally playable with just a keyboard again.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2023, 10:14:00 pm »

Yes, he said that, but he also said he was going to do it a little bit at a time and that it would take a long time to complete (I am imagining years, here).  So please don't get too impatient :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]