Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DF v50.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 15387 times)

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v50.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2023, 05:41:21 am »

How to create an embark with with serene and terryfing surroundings in one square?

ghostofferretpast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2023, 06:21:58 am »

If you want evil and good in the same embark region; you'll have to gen a world that has  extremely high variances in rainfall and drainage: that way you get a lot of small regions next to each other. Then set the evil count and good count in small regions very high.

If you want to eliminate some of the luck involve, the Perfect World utility can help. It's tedious in that you will have to hand paint a pixel checkerboard for rain and drainage, but if you do that you'll have a large section of the generated world that is possible (you cannot paint good / evil, sadly) to be the embark you want.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2023, 07:34:24 pm »

Is there a way to encourage waterfalls next to lakes?

Logem Cilobdural

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2023, 06:23:48 am »

Greetings, fellow dwarves :)

It is with great humility and respect I am posting my first message here. Digging into the mysteries of world generation, I discovered  gems of !!SCIENCE!! shared by great players, and I realized that many people have been playing Dwarf Fortress for years, some for over a decade.
Yet I am a short-beard, as I striked the earth for the first time last January. Actually I tried to play the now classic version a few years ago, but I was in deep water in my life and could not overcome the challenge to learn the glyphs, hotkeys and the game. I am very thankful for this Premium release, it let me become a DF player!

That being said, please let me share with you my "RP worldgen" as already shared on Reddit. Specifications were as follows:

• Some big landmass, with epic mountains, big forests inhabited by pointy ears, evil goblins etc. It has to be part of a bigger landmass, like the side of a continent, because I don't want a world surrounded by water.
  • Some smaller landmasses like a couple of not-so-small islands (think Númenor), or an archipelago, or, why not, this is where I am going with this worldgen, another continent side (think Valinor).
  • Would be super nice to have a small strait or isthmus between the landmasses so I could do like Kruggsmash and RP the bridge fort.
  • Mountain lakes. I looove mountain lakes. Good for Moria RP.
  • Better odds to get cliffs, sea-side or lake-side. Actually I don't know what are the "odds" in a "standard" world gen, I did not try to actively find some, yet I would like to have mooaaar.
  • Same for waterfalls. Mooaar!
  • Of course, same for volcanoes.

I started from a worldgen shared by another player here, it is already a very satisfying recipe, but of course I had to pay tribute to the Not Invented Here syndrome and did some changes:

• I kept a standard 1-400 elevation range as it seems to me there is nothing to change here if you want oceans and mountain peaks.
  • I set elevation variance to 200:3600, I believe the low X variance gives the "big continents and more or less one big water" shape and the crazy Y variance helps to - I am not sure - have a diversity of relief on Y axis, islands, mountains etc. Also hoping to get lakes close to mountains or more cliffs.
  • I put the elevation mesh to 3:80:0:0:0:100, because 1) With the setting above I struggled to get enough low elevation tiles for the ocean(s) to exist, and 2) it seems to me this mesh size 3 gives the best chances to get landmasses according my tastes, big enough and not to far away one from the other. Reducing this mesh size, and landmasses are not close enough, increasing it and it is too much island-ey. Size 3 gives (not allways but quite often) landmasses not very far away (which does not change anything, since there is no boat, but is RP-tasty to me), and I was lucky enough to get a small water channel between two continents, allowing a 1x14 bridge embark!
  • At this point I was not happy with the rivers and mountain lakes, there were not enough of them (I realized afterward that maybe I just need to accept I am looking for "mountain seas", maybe there were small one-world-tiles lakes already). In the wiki they say to put 800:800 rivers to get more lakes, but it did not work for me, I did not get more rivers neither more lakes with these parameters. Playing with erosion did not help, too. I am honestly confused and lost about what is supposed to do erosion, more or less rivers and cliffs and canyons? I found contradictory information about this. And not sure anymore how it works IRL. Hypothesis: I did not notice changes playing with river parameters because it changes the number of brooks, that are not visible on world-map, and increases size of rivers, that are visible on world-map but I did not pay attention to their size. So the number of big rivers is not really impacted by river parameters, only their size. Could someone confirm?
  • I therefore decided "let's brute-force this thingy" and doubled the max rainfall to 200 (I did not change variance), put a rainfall mesh like 2:1:0:0:0:1 so the super-rainy area are favored, and the super-dry area not eliminated, and voila I suddenly had a lot more rivers but I was still not satisfied by the lakes. Yet desert regions were almost always eliminated.
  • Therefore I also raised drainage variance and set a drainage mesh like 4:1:0:0:0:0. They say low-drainage area helps lakes, which makes sense IRL (I am less than a dabbling geologist IRL). And yes with these settings the worldgen gave some big lakes close to mountains, something like one out of three times.
  • I increased volcanism variance and tuned its mesh (2:5:0:0:0:5) in such a way there could be sedimentary layers close to a volcano (I have yet to confirm it works, but it is there).
  • PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES is at 0 because they says it helps to get cliffs but it is still to be confirmed.

I tuned the different rejection ranges, region min etc. not to have a lot of rejections. The worldgen have hard times to put enough Grasslands and Deserts sometimes, and if you use it please take note I changed the caverns to my taste (or something like this).

Finally... The worldgen:

Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:EPIC_v27]
[DIM:129:129]
[EMBARK_POINTS:1504]
[END_YEAR:100]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:150:60]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
[ELEVATION:1:400:200:3600]
[RAINFALL:0:200:500:500]
[TEMPERATURE:15:75:500:500]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:1600:1600]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:3200:3200]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:600:600]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:3:80:0:0:0:100]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:2:1:0:0:0:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:4:1:0:0:0:0]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:2:5:0:0:0:5]
[POLE:NORTH_OR_SOUTH]
[MINERAL_SCARCITY:95]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:18]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:37]
[TITAN_NUMBER:9]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:3:0:3]
[DEMON_NUMBER:28]
[NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:14]
[BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:14]
[NIGHTMARE_NUMBER:14]
[VAMPIRE_NUMBER:14]
[WEREBEAST_NUMBER:14]
[WEREBEAST_ATTACK_TRIGGER:2:2:2]
[SECRET_NUMBER:28]
[REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:28]
[DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:28]
[EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:14]
[EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:14]
[GENERATE_DIVINE_MATERIALS:1]
[ALLOW_DIVINATION:1]
[ALLOW_DEMONIC_EXPERIMENTS:1]
[ALLOW_NECROMANCER_EXPERIMENTS:1]
[ALLOW_NECROMANCER_LIEUTENANTS:1]
[ALLOW_NECROMANCER_GHOULS:1]
[ALLOW_NECROMANCER_SUMMONS:1]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:24:244:0]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:24:244:0]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:16]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:2]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:24]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:63:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:504:6:6]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:504:2:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:4000:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:16:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:32:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:100:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:404:3:2]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
[RIVER_MINS:200:800]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:0]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:3500]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:2]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:80]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:20]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:40]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:40]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:60]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:1]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:23]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
[SITE_CAP:1500]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:4000:0:2000]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:4128]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:2064:4128:2064]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:2064:4128:2064]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:2064:4128:2064]

Some pictures:

The seed for the last picture where there is a potential intercontinental bridge (honestly not the most beautiful place but at least it exists):

[SEED:QC5BAZol82bv2ztyvW7A]

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it, advises, etc.  :)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2023, 07:18:47 pm »

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it, advises, etc.  :)

That looks great, I wasn't expecting you to get such a nice mountain lake in that 3rd picture.

One aspect I like to tune as well is the temperature.  Sometimes, just the right spot is either too cold, or too hot, depending on the purpose for the map gen.  Certain critters only spawn in certain biomes, etc.

Logem Cilobdural

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2023, 02:19:24 pm »

I would like to revive this topic a little bit.

One aspect I like to tune as well is the temperature.  Sometimes, just the right spot is either too cold, or too hot, depending on the purpose for the map gen.  Certain critters only spawn in certain biomes, etc.

Schmaven, I am curious which kind of temperature tuning you do? What is the purpose?

On another note I found a video about worldgen that is, very instructive. Made for the previous version of DF but still very applicable. I am looking forward for a better embark finder that could look for features like waterfalls, volcanos, etc. like in this video:

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2023, 08:17:23 pm »

Schmaven, I am curious which kind of temperature tuning you do? What is the purpose?

Just by adjusting the min & max temps (sometimes the # of poles too), you can make the entire world snowy, but not unlivably cold, or conversely - make it never snow, but also not be very hot.  Sometimes I want some surface water to never freeze for certain water projects, while other times I just like the aesthetic of regular snow storms dusting the surface; And by creating those temperature condition across the entire world, it opens up many more suitable embark locations to choose from.

Whenever I design a world with advanced parameters, I usually pull up that page of the DFWiki: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Advanced_world_generation and go through each of the options 1 by 1.  It's in the same order as the game, so it's easy to follow, and a lot of the options are very similar to eachother, so it doesn't take long, especially after having done it a few times. 

Boromonokli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2023, 04:16:17 am »

This will be an odd request, if it's even possible, but I'd like to have a "shallow" oceanside beach.

* not 80-120 z-levels until first cavern. like 80 should be the surface-to-magma sea at most
* islands and beaches, so I can mess with sea creatures unmolested.

I've been trying to make modified copies of the medium island (129x129) worldgen, maybe thats the problem, but i don't know how I can make lots of seas in a region without recreating my problems.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2023, 10:37:01 am »

Not sure if this is a unique bug to me or not but it seems a entity with [noeat],[nosleep] causes world gen to crash sometime after  history generation?
V50 steam

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2023, 08:13:22 pm »

Not sure if this is a unique bug to me or not but it seems a entity with [noeat],[nosleep] causes world gen to crash sometime after  history generation?
Necromancers have those tags and they seem common in unmodded games which don't crash, so I would suspect some other aspect is at play there for you.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2023, 09:55:21 pm »

Necromancers have those tags and they seem common in unmodded games which don't crash, so I would suspect some other aspect is at play there for you.

removing the tags made the crashes stop

that's all I did 🤔

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2023, 08:57:50 pm »

Anyone got a 17x17 with all the races + tower?

Am looking for copper+tin but no iron if possible too. I seem to have problems getting that to spawn too.

I'd love to know how to make these kinds of pocket worlds with just what you need.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 09:15:17 pm by thefinn »

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2023, 09:13:08 pm »

*Accidental double-post*
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 09:15:46 pm by thefinn »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2023, 06:16:45 pm »

I created a small (65x65) world and found an embark with some decent terrain features: seasonal freezing, snow into late spring, fruit trees, river, volcano, large hills along north and south, flux, iron, silver, sand, clay, giant eagles, and all the civilizations.

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: River Valley Embark (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Parameter Set (click to show/hide)
I'm not sure how to find the seed used to generate this world though, so results may vary.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2023, 07:16:28 pm »

When you create a world, the seeds used are output to the gamelog.txt in the DF folder. (Added this info to the 1st post.)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3