Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132331 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1095 on: October 18, 2020, 12:15:54 am »

I watched John Wick 3.  It was bad, but entertainingly bad.  There's a fourth coming out next year, and a fifth already confirmed, they will definitely be bad.

The franchise is increasingly about this ever-expanding continental assassin universe which becomes more ridiculous and unwieldy every installment.  It was fun in the first movie, but now it's like every single person on Earth is a member of some secret society or another that serves the High Table.  There are four or five scenes where John Wick is walking somewhere and it cuts away to shady dudes watching him pass.  There are three separate scenes where John Wick comes up to some underworld figure and hands them some kind of token and persuades them to honor it and help him out in some way.  Four or five maybe, depending on how you count it.  There are three scenes where the adjudicator meets and punishes said helpers for helping him.

The rest of the movie is just ridiculous over the top action scenes.  With each movie the action feels less personal and intense, more indulgent.  The final bad guy of this one is just some guy.  There's a scene in the continental (where he can't kill John Wick cause assassin's creed laws) and he sits uncomfortably close to John and starts gushing about how excited he is and how John is his personal hero and shit, which is kind of funny but also the only characterization the guy gets, and he's the final boss of the movie.

In the penultimate fight scene the Continental is deconsecrated and a High Table kill team comes in with magic body armor and the continental loyalists, who all know that they have magic body armor, run out with regular pistols anyway so they can die and establish the threat.  John himself uses a 9mm carbine, again just to establish that these guys are really tough and to make it more exciting when he runs back and gets an armor-piercing gun, even though he already knew they had armor before he picked the carbine.  He just did it for movie reasons.

It kind of sucks, but the action is still good, and the increasing insanity of the series is still funny.  I don't think that'll hold up for another movie though.
Shoes...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: October 29, 2020, 11:37:35 pm »

...one of my closest and oldest (oldest as in length of time being friends, not age - I have at least one comparatively ancient friend whom I love dearly) friends purchased a lifetime, premium Plex membership recently, which allows others to remotely stream things once he creates a user for them. He also set up a dedicated server to host his whopping great media collection from. Many a good time has been had, hanging out down there with the gang and watching weird and wonderful shit from said collection (when we couldn't get it on VHS, anyway).   

Yesterday he offered me an account for a small fee, which is fair enough considering the expenses involved in setting all this up.   
On the fence, I asked if he had Apocalypse Now. Sure enough, he does. Sold. Now I feel so high-tech and "with it". Although so far my enjoyment of this setup has been limited to going through looking things up to see if they're on there, feeling smug if they aren't or excited if they are. I'm easily amused, sometimes. Also neat were at least a couple of titles that I strongly recommended to my friend and wasn't sure if he'd listened to me about.   
Funnily enough, most of the things I thought off off the top of my head were on there, but as soon as I cracked open my IMDb watchlist, barely any were. There is some mighty obscure stuff that has accumulated on said watchlist over the years, most of which I don't remember adding. And of course, said list swelled considerably during the course of all this searching.   

Maybe today I'll actually fire it up and watch something. Eeeeee.

Oh yeah, and Come and See is on there, too. I didn't even look for it since I would have figured it was way too obscure, but there it was, the cover art staring at me with haunted eyes. Maybe I'll watch it and my eyes will look that way as well!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: October 30, 2020, 08:22:55 pm »

I watched Come and See after seeing it mentioned here recently, and it messed me up. I don't want to color your expectations if you haven't seen it, though, you should probably go in as blind as possible.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: October 31, 2020, 10:12:41 am »

Not sure where else to put this, as we don't have a dedicated Obit thread in here, so I'll be blunt...

RIP Sean Connery
- the best Egyptian/Lithuanian/Irish-American/Postapocalyptic-Brutal ever to have a Scottish accent.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: October 31, 2020, 10:34:03 am »

I watched Come and See after seeing it mentioned here recently, and it messed me up. I don't want to color your expectations if you haven't seen it, though, you should probably go in as blind as possible.

Shit, I'm sorry for mentioning it, WealthyRadish.  Hopefully you won't have long-term scars from it like I do.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: October 31, 2020, 10:42:50 am »

From the movie with that title I assume all puns are intended
Love, scriver~

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: October 31, 2020, 11:14:38 am »

Shit, I'm sorry for mentioning it, WealthyRadish.  Hopefully you won't have long-term scars from it like I do.

Oh, no, I meant it as a good thing.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: November 04, 2020, 11:26:50 pm »

The Beyond (2018) is a scifi movie that's awful in the preachy pretentious way rather than the fun everyone dies way. I should have known better than to watch something listed as scifi/thriller, because that usually means nothing happens. Lo and behold, it's one of those trying-to-be-suspenseful things about first contact and personal feelings, done mostly via interview format. I applaud their slavish devotion to not spending any money and their unwavering support for screaming cyborgs replacing humanity, but nothing else.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 05, 2020, 07:37:51 am »

And then humanity became exclusively insane screaming undead cyborgs. I see this as an absolute win.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: November 05, 2020, 08:19:54 am »

Who knew insane screaming cyborgs were the next step in human evolution, and we can only get better from there, makes me wonder what our final form will be.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 13, 2021, 05:36:34 pm »

I just saw the newest Hellboy movie

Jösse Krist
Love, scriver~

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #1106 on: April 26, 2021, 05:45:44 am »

Awesome With Autism

“The art of life is to live in the present moment.”
— Emmet Fox

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 26, 2021, 11:18:02 am »

^ Recommend you watch Sea Fog.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 26, 2021, 11:26:30 am »

Meanwhlie we watched all the Warlock movies this weekend.

Warlock 1 is still great. I'm kinda amazed how well it holds up. Great villain, who gets to be a real villain while being both powerful and vulnerable. Interesting story, cool magic, a real witchey Satanic vibe to the whole movie, fun characters and real heart in the writing.

Warlock 2 kinda blows. The villain goes from a villain to a Terminator-esqe monster minion despite being the same character. His personality becomes completely placid. His big line when he kills people is "Thank you very much." The movie is dragged down by shitty leads and a dumb story about druid powers. It plods and plods and plods along with too much exposition and a twist that isn't interesting other than it means the hero and heroine are actually committing incest?

Warlock 3 is just a stupid haunted house movie featuring a pack of unlikeable college kids, a Warlock whose ultimate aim is to summon a demonic girlfriend for themselves and painfully awkward T&A scenes. His magic is stupid, almost everything is about manipulating stupid college students in the lamest ways psychologically and emotionally, and honestly....the worst part is THE ONLY PERSON THAT ACTUALLY DIES BY THE END IS THE WARLOCK.

edit

After confirming with my colleagues, the druids in Warlock 2 are not brother and sister, and while you only see one of the college kids die in Warlock 3, she does leave the house alone which implies they all actually died.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 01:41:48 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #1109 on: April 26, 2021, 03:05:24 pm »

« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 03:32:01 pm by roseheart »