Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132253 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1080 on: October 10, 2020, 03:22:34 pm »

Anyway, anyone got some good horror movies that are oft-missed? I'm in a real spooky mood lately.
Frankenstein's Army (2013) is weirdly good. It's found footage, so you'd be forgiven for having low expectations, but it's a great film about Soviet operatives infiltrating wartime Germany and encountering TERRIBLE THINGS.

The Last Days on Mars (2013) is about people dying on Mars. I was worried it was just going to be about a virus or something and feature no monsters, but these fears were in vain. It also has a fantastic ending, which is rare for pretty much anything, let alone a horror movie.

Apollo 18 (2011) is about astronauts dying on the Moon. It's got a nice creepy style, with the American astronauts finding evidence of a horribly failed Soviet attempt, and the danger is well done.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: October 10, 2020, 04:01:47 pm »

The Wailing and Relic, both being the slow burn spooky rather than jumpscare drivel most big horrors of the recent years seem to be.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 11, 2020, 12:15:11 am »

Just watched House, the Japanese horror movie.

Had THE MOST annoying, overly loud, badly recorded, out of place soundtrack I've ever heard. The movie is psychedelic, non-sensical, silly, and over the top. The special effects are.....migraine inducing. If you've got a group who likes to watch shitty schlock horror movies and the like, House definitely does not disappoint. Man the 70s produced some weird, off putting stuff.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: October 11, 2020, 01:02:53 am »

Apollo 18 (2011) is about astronauts dying on the Moon. It's got a nice creepy style, with the American astronauts finding evidence of a horribly failed Soviet attempt, and the danger is well done.

Just watched this one, I'll work through the rest and Jopax's recommendations. This one was great - very creepy and I appreciated the found-footage thing of like high-lighted circles which you see in conspiracy/UFO videos sometimes.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: October 11, 2020, 09:05:50 am »

Anyway, anyone got some good horror movies that are oft-missed? I'm in a real spooky mood lately.

I don't know many good horror movies, but Mandy (2018) is one of my favorite, even if it's not a classic horror movie, as there is a lot of action and it's also a thriller. The horror scenes are great, sometimes truly gruesome, but very well made anyway. The acting is excellent also, regarding for instance that of Nicolas Cage who plays one of the first characters. And the ambience is impressive, psychedelic and very disturbing. In addition, there are some fantasy and sci-fi elements that give an otherwordly feeling.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 11, 2020, 09:15:05 am »

The Blackcoat's Daughter is great. It's got the devil in it.
The Witch is great. It's got the devil in it.
Starry Eyes is great. It's got the devil in it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 11, 2020, 09:27:17 am »

I saw a French horror movie on world movies, Malefique, it was pretty enjoyable. The story is basically set in a prison cell, and they find an old book hidden behind some brickwork, with a bunch of instructions in it ...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: October 11, 2020, 09:33:32 am »

The Blackcoat's Daughter is great. It's got the devil in it.
The Witch is great. It's got the devil in it.
Starry Eyes is great. It's got the devil in it.

The Elevator is great. It's got the devil in it.
Love, scriver~

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: October 11, 2020, 05:10:29 pm »

I'll just leave this here...   :o

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 12, 2020, 07:45:45 am »

I'll just leave this here...   :o

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

I absolutely adore this movie, can highly recommend!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 14, 2020, 01:44:25 pm »

Just thinking about The Spongebob Movie recently...

Dennis was an unironically fantastic villain.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: October 15, 2020, 09:48:57 am »

If anyone's into foreign cinema (aka doesn't mind subtitles), there's this recent Polish one called 'Corpus Christi'. It's about an ex-convict pretending to be a priest.
Like so many other local productions it's naturalistic, dour, grimy, and hard-hitting. Stays with you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 16, 2020, 07:19:37 pm »

Added to my watch-list!   

I watched The Way Back for the first time last night. Pretty great drama, maybe they glossed over some stuff but I definitely appreciated the slow, very slow piece-by-piece revealing of things, even if I saw some of it coming. Also, this is maybe tangential, but what a beautifully shot movie! Phwoar.   

A night or two before that I re-watched Office Space. Maybe not quite as brilliant as I remembered it being, but oh well it's still pretty great.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 16, 2020, 08:44:31 pm »

Brigitte Bardot movies are fun, in French w/subtitles, but I have only own three...

And God Created Woman - the beginning of the sex kitten's fame
La Verite (The Truth) - a serious drama that I think she acted well
Viva Maria (Maria & Maria) - a fun, funny, silly comedy about revolutionaries

I apologize for leaving off the accents, can't find my ASCII codes.
OMG she was so beautiful, and what a semi-tragic life she's lived, she's still kickin'.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: October 17, 2020, 04:33:12 pm »

Just watched this one on Amazon Prime this weekend, and it was surprisingly good!  (60% on Rotten Tomatoes)

It Came From the Desert
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 96