Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132300 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #930 on: April 13, 2020, 03:51:23 pm »

That wasn't the depressing part, we knew he was gonna get caught from the start, considering it was told in flash-back. Him going to work with the FBI to ruin the lives of others was the depressing part.
His father would have been spinning in his grave*.
...Wait, should this stuff be in a spoiler? Or am I the last person on Earth to see this movie?

* though apparently their relationship was pretty much entirely fictionalised anyway.

lol, it's supposed to be a happy ending where he get's off fairly easy and makes a long career out of helping the FBI and American Banks revamp their fraud protection systems.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 14, 2020, 10:12:05 am »

I just watched Meet Joe Black.
Um, w-wow, I think I can safely say this movie is rather underrated considering I had never even heard of it before. Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt is a potent combo to begin with, but this was really something else. Lots of other actors I'm less familiar with putting in fantastic performances of their own, too.

Actually started watching that last night, with family, before finishing it tonight, and earlier today in the interim I re-watched Blood Diamond on my own.
A very, very different film, but I suppose it hits a few similar notes here and there. One thing they have in common, though, is that they'd both likely have a place on any hypothetical list of 'favourite films' if I ever had the time and inclination to compile such a thing.

@Urist: selling his soul and going on to destroy the lives of a great many people just like himself doesn't seem like anything remotely approaching a happy ending to me...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 14, 2020, 10:19:34 am »

Yoink is the kind of viewer who watches slasher movies and foots for the teenagers
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 14, 2020, 10:26:32 am »

...Roots?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 14, 2020, 10:40:10 am »

@Urist: selling his soul and going on to destroy the lives of a great many people just like himself doesn't seem like anything remotely approaching a happy ending to me...

Conmen generally leave a string of destroyed people behind them. It only comes off as him being sympathetic because it's based on the book he wrote about himself. Naturally, he cast himself as a lovable scamp who didn't hurt anyone, instead of a selfish life-wrecking asshole. It's a good thing they weaponized him. Conmen generally only destroy, they don't create.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Abagnale
First con

His first victim was his father, who gave Abagnale a gasoline credit card and a truck to assist him in commuting to his part-time job. To get date money, Abagnale devised a scheme in which he used the gasoline card to "buy" tires, batteries, and other car-related items at gas stations and then asked the attendants to give him cash in return for the products. Ultimately, his father was liable for a bill amounting to $3,400, equivalent to $28,394 in 2019. Abagnale was only 15 at the time.

Another trick he used was to magnetically print his account number on blank deposit slips and add them to the stack of real blank slips in the bank. This resulted in the deposits written on those slips by bank customers entering his account rather than the accounts of the legitimate customers

Yeah, so he was a total piece of shit basically, and managed to get away with it, then became successful, and wrote that autobiography painting himself as a lovable rogue. The sad part is that he didn't get longer in jail.

For eleven months, Abagnale impersonated a chief resident pediatrician in a Georgia hospital under the alias Frank Williams. He chose this course after he was nearly arrested disembarking from a flight in New Orleans.
However, he was nearly exposed when an infant became critically unwell from oxygen deprivation and he didn't initially understand the meaning or gravity of the situation when a nurse informed him of a "blue baby". He left the hospital only after he realized he could put lives at risk by his inability to respond to life-and-death situations.
So in other words he pretended to be a children's doctor until he almost killed a kid, then decided it was time to vamoose. It's his words that he was "concerned" that he could put lives in jeopardy rather than the fact that if someone died, he'd get caught.

EDIT: Also, it's a stretch to say that the FBI railroaded him into grassing up other con artists. He decided to do that himself, after working out that an honest living wasn't profitable. He made out that his arm was twisted in his book, probably, but he decided on that himself:

In 1974, after he had served less than five years of his 12-year sentence at Federal Correctional Institution in Petersburg, Virginia, the United States federal government released him on the condition that he help the federal authorities, without pay, to investigate crimes committed by fraud and scam artists, and sign in once a week. Unwilling to return to his family in New York, he left the choice of parole location up to the court, which decided that he would be paroled in Houston, Texas.

After his release, Abagnale tried numerous jobs, including cook, grocer, and movie projectionist, but he was fired from most of these after it was discovered he had been hired without revealing his criminal past. Finding those jobs he was able to land unsatisfying, he approached a bank with an offer. He explained to the bank what he had done and offered to speak to the bank's staff and show them various tricks that "paperhangers" use to defraud banks. His offer included the condition that if they did not find his speech helpful, they would owe him nothing; otherwise, they would owe him only $50, with an agreement that they would provide his name to other banks. With that, he began a legitimate life as a security consultant.

So, the deal was that he was an FBI advisor, if any only if needed, and without pay. However, he decided he could make money by grassing up other bank defrauders on the side. He spent a life fucking everyone else over for money and/or sex, why wouldn't he fuck over other people like himself if he could turn a buck doing that? It's not a happy or sad ending, it's just him moving on to exploiting a different class of people once his old scams weren't going to work anymore.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 11:08:51 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 14, 2020, 12:01:31 pm »

...How's the boot leather taste this time o' year? The haves hate it when the have-nots decide to try and have a piece for themselves. 
I must emphasise that I'm not on Jr's side, here, either. His scams were somewhat admirable but his later actions force one to re-classify him as an utter POS.

Edit: also, I feel like we're getting off the main point here: Meet Joe Black is a great film. Is this actually a hidden gem or was everyone aware of it but me?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 12:03:05 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 14, 2020, 12:35:49 pm »

Do you mean Meet Joe Black, the manipulative sugary crap that feels like it was lifted from Romance TV or Harlequin novels and whose only saving grace is the good cast?
Why, yes. I loved it as a young impressionable lad.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 14, 2020, 12:38:06 pm »

I just watched Meet Joe Black.
Um, w-wow, I think I can safely say this movie is rather underrated considering I had never even heard of it before. Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt is a potent combo to begin with, but this was really something else. Lots of other actors I'm less familiar with putting in fantastic performances of their own, too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 12:40:46 pm by Iduno »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 14, 2020, 12:43:08 pm »

That doesn't link
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 14, 2020, 01:13:20 pm »

That doesn't link

I think I fixed it while you were typing. I copied the link location instead of the image location, because I'm a moron.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 14, 2020, 09:31:33 pm »

Holy crap, did they hire a lot of famous faces for the new Dune. My brain can't quite process the clean-shaven Jason Momoa, btw.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 15, 2020, 12:37:01 am »

Do you mean Meet Joe Black, the manipulative sugary crap that feels like it was lifted from Romance TV or Harlequin novels and whose only saving grace is the good cast?
Why, yes. I loved it as a young impressionable lad.
I don't know what Romance TV or Harlequin novels are, and I will admit that it perhaps had too many dialogue scenes drawn out by long pauses and gratuitous close-ups, but said good cast and the neat premise were more than enough to salvage it.
Well, mostly Brad Pitt, considering the rather unique role he plays. I'm sticking to my guns, it was jolly good.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 15, 2020, 02:18:21 am »

You know, if you liked MJB, you might like Age of Adeline. Similar high-concept idea in service of a somewhat formulaic romance fare.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 15, 2020, 02:48:47 am »

"Duncan Idaho"
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 15, 2020, 06:20:28 am »

I thought everyone was talking about Joe Black when that came out. They had trailers on everything.

I've recently had the delight of getting some company to help me watch horrible movies. Today we attacked Anaconda. Yes, the J-Lo and Ice Cube Anaconda. Wew.

...Roots?

Ah yes, the common Australian slang term for having sex with something... Maybe shouldn't be giving Yoink too many ideas about fucking for teens.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 96