Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Exotic Cuisine  (Read 2754 times)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic Cuisine
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

I don't think squash and mushrooms would really compliment each other, but I wouldn't necessarily call it disgusting.

A stew made from maggot milk, cheese and dog fat on the other hand...

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 05:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aqizzar:
<STRONG>Serious question - I had a bunch of fish sitting around not being cooked because I wanted the bones, but they went ignored so long they got Xworn outX.  I figured my bone stockpile was fine, so I had them all made into fish roast.  The description doesn't say anthing about ingredient quality besides preperation, but nobody touches them either.  Does ingredient quality affect meal quality?</STRONG>

I'm tempted to say that ingredient quality has no effect upon meal quality, in the case of cooking. When you cook up, say, some XTurtleX and Plump Helmet biscuits, both the Turtle and the 'shrooms are gone from your Stocks menu, no doubt devoured by a rampaging bit bin / garbage collector / /dev/null.

Since those two items are gone from the game, I would presume that their associated variables disappear as well. This differs from constructions, as an example, wherein the 'ingredient' stones are still accessible from the Stocks menu.

I can't confirm this, mind you, it's just presumption on my part. Your Dwarves probably aren't eating your meals because... they're Dwarves, bless their stony hearts, and they hate us players so.

EDIT: Oh yes, cooking. Well, for me it's gotta be Dwarven Syrup Roasts, consisting of Dwarven Syrup, Dwarven Syrup, Dwarven Syrup, and Dwarven Syrup (aka, Dwarven Crack). It's pretty easy to mass produce, is a great mid-game trade item (Elves like it too), and the Dwarves all love eating it.

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Tenebrous ]

Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.

Klendt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

Oh, just a while ago, I got a lovely stack of roasts. Fifteen elephant tallow/sugar delights.
So, that's basically dehydrated, purified fat coated in sugar.
The dwarves snatched it all up in about seven or eight days. World Series musta been on or something.
On the television...
The one they don't have. Curses. Foiled by my own logic again.

You know what? I'm going to continue pretending they actually had a REASON to choke those things down.

The boundary between healthy curiosity and outright nerdiness blurs yet more...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Klendt:
<STRONG>Oh, just a while ago, I got a lovely stack of roasts. Fifteen elephant tallow/sugar delights.
So, that's basically dehydrated, purified fat coated in sugar.
The dwarves snatched it all up in about seven or eight days. World Series musta been on or something.
On the television...
The one they don't have. Curses. Foiled by my own logic again.

You know what? I'm going to continue pretending they actually had a REASON to choke those things down.</STRONG>

As if they need a reason to eat cooked fat coated in sugar.  You've never been to the Texas State Fair have you?

I suppose the worn-out-ness of ingredients shouldn't affect the meal.  Wear level doesn't seem to be tracked through 'reactions' like that.  Well, nobody was eating fish in the first place, so I guess they don't want an all fish roast now either.  Pity the code doesn't really work that way.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tenebrous:
<STRONG>

I'm tempted to say that ingredient quality has no effect upon meal quality, in the case of cooking. When you cook up, say, some XTurtleX and Plump Helmet biscuits, both the Turtle and the 'shrooms are gone from your Stocks menu, no doubt devoured by a rampaging bit bin / garbage collector / /dev/null.

Since those two items are gone from the game, I would presume that their associated variables disappear as well. This differs from constructions, as an example, wherein the 'ingredient' stones are still accessible from the Stocks menu.</STRONG>

Ingredients may not affect quality but they definitely affect value.  Dragon/hydra roasts are ridiculously valuable.  Surprisingly, troll meat is also highly valued, as is their skull, leather, etc.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Elvenshae:
<STRONG>

Obviously, stone-ground flour is rather coarse.  Mincing it refines it, so you end up with something like French bread rather than cornbread.

And as for booze, well, dwarven booze isn't made with water, so you gotta imagine that it's pretty thick stuff.  As they say, it's hard to drown in dwarven rum, but it's easy to suffocate.

[Okay, that's actually the Ankh River, but work with me here!]</STRONG>

Cornbread is tastier than french bread.

;)

quote:
Originally posted by Duke 2.0:
<STRONG>

So the sugar meal is basically just something to mix in with some beer like a pixie stick?

Pixie sticks in beer... I gotta try that when I'm legal.</STRONG>

That would totally ruin a good beer.

Mass-market american beers, on the other hand, would be hard to make worse, so feel free.

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: MuonDecay ]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

There is only ONE item in dwarf fortress I know that can top it... (I hope it wasn't eaten)

Unfortunately I can't upload pics so your going to have to wait until I play it.

In fact the meal doesn't make sense and I have half a mind to consider it a bug

Note: Don't expect TOO much from it

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 03:17:00 am »

please...

Dwarven Wine Roast.

Ingredients were 1 exceptionally minced dwarven wine, 1 finely minced dwarven wine, 1 exceptionally minced dwarven wine, and 1 finely minced river spirits (I guess too much dwarven wine would have killed the flavor)

a stack of 73 outside  a barrel traded to some humans for over 3300r.  Clearly they wanted the dwarven delicacy known as roasted alcohol.

In this particular fortress, i had quite a lot of food production going on, and food and alcohol stock of approximately 1000 each... so i did feel too bad about letting them cook the 600 dwarven wine.  I just didn't think they were going to mince it and roast it.  And have a meal of it.

Klendt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jing:
<STRONG>please...

Dwarven Wine Roast.

Ingredients were 1 exceptionally minced dwarven wine, 1 finely minced dwarven wine, 1 exceptionally minced dwarven wine, and 1 finely minced river spirits (I guess too much dwarven wine would have killed the flavor)

a stack of 73 outside  a barrel traded to some humans for over 3300r.  Clearly they wanted the dwarven delicacy known as roasted alcohol.

In this particular fortress, i had quite a lot of food production going on, and food and alcohol stock of approximately 1000 each... so i did feel too bad about letting them cook the 600 dwarven wine.  I just didn't think they were going to mince it and roast it.  And have a meal of it.</STRONG>

Well, wouldn't YOU want it too? After all, it's not too often you get the chance to buy something that flies in the face of physics itself.

The boundary between healthy curiosity and outright nerdiness blurs yet more...

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »

Well, if you think about it, you'd pretty much just have plump helmet paste after cooking down the dwarven wine. All the alcohol evaporates out, leaving the solids.

Plus, it would taste like booze. After all, if a dwarf can't have more REAL booze, they want the next best thing to it, right?

Oh, and dwarven sugar roast? That's gotta be frosting. Dwarves are like college students when it comes to eating that sort of thing, obviously.

[ June 07, 2008: Message edited by: Fossaman ]

Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aqizzar:
[QB]

As if they need a reason to eat cooked fat coated in sugar.  You've never been to the Texas State Fair have you?
QB]

WOOT!

Big Tex says, "Howdy Folks, plz eat like whorebags!"
Big Tex always scared me when i was little.  I mean, come on, he wore those jeans a BIT too tight ifyaknowhatimean.....

Dont Mess With texas (and its sugar coated fat delicacies - lol)

:P

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 10:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eatnobles4breakfast:
<STRONG>PLUMP HELMET-SQUASH COOKIES</STRONG>

=D Mushookies! They taste like my cat!

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 [2]