Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Theocracy -- Honest Opinions Requested  (Read 3052 times)

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Theocracy -- Honest Opinions Requested
« on: February 01, 2012, 01:54:49 pm »

I'm starting work on a mod that I'm making for my own use, but I would like to know if there is enough interest out there in it to merit me uploading it for community use.  So I'm hereby requesting ideas, feedback, etc. -- if you think the idea is stupid, go ahead and say that too :)

The main idea of Theocracy is a mod to play as humans with a revamped noble system to reflect a theocratic leadership.  Human society is based primarily on city-building/keeping livestock, not so much being a subterranean miner as are the dwarves. There are other mods available for playing as humans of course, but they all either do a bunch of stuff that I don't want, or don't do important things that I do.  I will be liberally borrowing from(and crediting) the work of others, esp. the excellent Masterwork mod. 

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Theocracy -- Honest Opinions Requested
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 02:29:02 pm »

In my opinion the general rule for DF modding is "If you feel like doing it do it, and then upload it for others to see". After all, even if nobody else downloads it at least they will have had the opportunity to have done so and there's always the chance that you could come up with some cool new idea that gets borrowed or viewed later on.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:22:37 pm »

Always nice to ask first ;)

But yeah, you can use whatever you like. Just give a list first, otherwise you take things like the library (mechanix) or the stonecutter (deon), bonfire (warlord255) and so on... ;)

If you read the masterwork thread you know that the idea of different embark races came up, but I cant find a good start. If you like (and since you use parts of my mod already, making it easier to be compatible) it would be great if I can borrow in turn from you :)

To disable digging you have to options btw:
Make all stone undiggable, like slade. I wouldnt recommend that.
Remove the miner labor, and the pick from the entity file.

You could readd a worshop, like a quarry or something, to produce stone. (for constructions)

Good luck
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 03:23:29 pm »

- double post because of stupid internet connection, sry -
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:12:32 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 06:41:02 pm »

More above-ground mods!

A lot of people are scared to build above ground, but you can embark with huge amounts of wood pretty easily. Once you've got a palisade up, you can relax and focus on building your more complex buildings to house workshops etc.

My advice is to add in some new above-ground plants, and maybe play with the farming mods. Surface farming presents a few problems, namely that if you embarked in a biome with no edible shrubs, you can't grow anything edible there either!
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:15:25 pm »

I've made my own theocratic hierarchies for a race of blood ritualists that bred sentient slaves for use in their sadistic ceremonies, so I probably won't borrow from your mod.

However, I will suggest that you give consoler responsibility to the low level priests and allow an arbitrarily large amount of them to be appointed by the cardinals.

As for building materials, I suggest using something flavorful like clay bricks or concrete blocks. Maybe a quarry workshop could produce marble blocks for cathedrals, and a sawyer's workshop could be used to convert raw logs into wooden blocks en masse.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:25:10 pm »

There's always the chance that you could come up with some cool new idea that gets borrowed or viewed later on.
This. If you think you have something fresh, do so. One of the most impressive fantasy eque game I've come across is called king of dragon pass. There you find human, drakelings, elves, trolls, dwarves, dinosaurs, and interesting gods.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:30:48 pm by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 09:28:10 pm »

I've made my own theocratic hierarchies for a race of blood ritualists that bred sentient slaves for use in their sadistic ceremonies, so I probably won't borrow from your mod.

wtf ? I have to see this... where can I get it ? :)

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 10:14:50 pm »

Quote from: Meph
Always nice to ask first

But yeah, you can use whatever you like. Just give a list first, otherwise you take things like the library (mechanix) or the stonecutter (deon), bonfire (warlord255) and so on...

Hmm.  This is different protocol than I'm used to in other modding communities in the past.  Duly noted, and thanks!

Quote from: darkflagrance
I will suggest that you give consoler responsibility to the low level priests and allow an arbitrarily large amount of them to be appointed by the cardinals.

This is a bit encouraging, in that I'd already decided to this.  Thanks all for the other ideas as well, some good stuff there. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 10:56:13 pm »

I only mentioned it, because I want to avoid confusion. I dont like the tought of getting false credit for something someone else has done, and allowed me to use. Again, feel free to take what you want. And the new version of the Masterwork Mod (V1) has much nicer raws, all reactions sorted and named after categories, to make it easier for other modders (and users) to find everything.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 11:13:58 pm »

Another idea that occurred to me might be a squad of inquisitors who replace the fortress guard. If the high priests have mandates and room requirements, the inquisitorial guard could be used to "persecute the heinous heretics, infidels, and sinners" when their demands are not met. It might even make more sense than the default vanilla implementation of dwarven justice.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 11:27:35 pm »

You can use my Mineshaft from regen, That way you can make stone undiggable and still aquire ore/gems/flux/coal and also the quarry (stones) how you make them avaiable for construction is entirely up to you.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 11:47:48 pm »

You can make many horribly complex and cost inefficient but still worth alot composite materials that can only be built into furnitures. So you will end up having to make extravagant constructions from the virtue of your nobles liking any of the materials alone. For example, you can make a composite silver gold aluminum platinum alloy that takes 5 bars each (totalling 1400 material value) to make a single bar of 350 material value. You lose alot, but it's still more valuable then adamantium and any resulting furniture would still be of incredible decorative value.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Sarlare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 11:58:06 pm »

Ooo, quite an interesting mod idea! I've been playing as modded humans myself for some time now, actually. You've probably already got the general idea for workshops and whatnot, but the issue of digging stone seems to still be up in the air. Personally I like being able to "mine", per say, making a single mineshaft in which the workers use for gathering stone and minerals. A stone-cutting / chiseling workshop that turns rocks to a batch of blocks would also be beneficial for the large above-ground constructions. Completely restricting mining seems rather steep even for a human civ, but that's just my personal view. Either way, I can't wait to see how this mod turns out!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 12:11:54 am »

I LOVE playing as humans and above ground...MUCH more challenging. I have been waiting for a good human mod for some time and would love to see this!
Pages: [1] 2 3