Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kor Fightevil the Power of Mortals  (Read 3393 times)

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kor Fightevil the Power of Mortals
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:48:45 am »

I started in on Adventure mode for the first time after having to replace my old computer about a month ago. My first-ever Adventure-mode character was named Urist Fightevil, a human outsider with skill in Swordsman, Ambush, and Fighting. He died within twenty turns because I didn't know that human peasants could be that badass.

My second character was Kor Fightevil a dwarf from a small kingdom in the warm hemisphere with skill in Swordsdwarf and Armor, and he ended an age.

An explanation is in order, I think.

First, perhaps due to a quirk in worldgen, my gen'd world stayed in the Age of Myth for well over a thousand years. I started out in the year 1207, directly after Urist died, with Kor.

His first three missions were to kill local bandit leaders around the human kingdom he started out in. He racked up twenty-seven injury-free kills in the process, using the steel sword and shield he started out with. (btw, he started with steel armor and he never so much as took it off for cleaning.)

After that, he got a Minotaur, an Ettin, and another Minotaur. The first 'taur tore off two of the fingers on his right hand, and the Ettin broke his right foot and tore the muscle. Both injuries healed. All three monsters died (severed heads for the 'taurs and bisected body for the Ettin). He had no help whatsoever. The second 'taur (Ehil Bronzeburned the Terror of Thrones) earned him the title 'the Power of Mortals.'

After he finished depopulating the minor legends in the local area, he was pointed to the capital of the human kingdom he'd been in thus far. He got to the capital after a few days, five bandit ambushes, and a random encounter with another 'taur (which bled to death after losing both arms). The capital was ruled by a demon made of salt (whose name I can't be bothered to remember). Between Timber of 1207 and Obsidian of 1209 Kor depopulated the local and not-so-local area of another seventeen legends, ranging from a FB that somehow wandered to the surface during worldgen to two dragons that camped out in the same ruins. Between Granite of 1210 and Moonstone of 1249 (the temporary end of his adventuring career) he accounted for over two hundred other menaces to history and civilization. In almost forty years his injuries amounted to six fingers (two lost - one from each hand, two broken, three bruised - including the one he lost from his left hand), a bruise on his upper left leg, and the loss of two of his teeth. Most of his enemies lost their heads or lower bodies. Most of his 'major' kills were monsters, dragons, rocs, and various other unnatural creatures. In the time between these legendary battles he found time to kill over eight hundred civilized beings (spread out over roughly 90 bandit camps and ambushes, not counting around 150 goblins from a citadel he stormed in 1233.)

At that point I had him retire, so that I could start a Fortress. That lasted for about sixty years before repeated sieges from the humans, elves, and goblins in tandem finally destroyed it. Thinking to see what Kor was up to, I resumed his travails from where the world left off.

He was still just as he'd been, albeit bald and with a really long beard. I steered him across the land, killing bandits and creatures and two fish and every yak I could find. One steel longsword, one steel shield, and a set of <<steel armor>> were the only things he ever carried. No food, no water, no companions.

Between Slate of 1322 and Malachite of 1324 he killed nineteen creatures of various supernatural descriptions and broke the four-digit boundary on his civilized-being-killcard. On the 19th of Malachite, 1324, around midafternoon and standing in a pool of the blood of a night creature, the long-awaited message appeared on the screen. "The world has passed into the Elven Age."

wait, wtf?

I retire Kor and check the Legends screen. In the years my fortress was built and destroyed, most of the human and dwarven empires either were conquered or crumbled (I can only assume it was the aforementioned worldgen quirk that led to around 95% of the civilized world being ruled by demons, most of whom Kor had killed during his legend-slaughtering rampage back in the 11th century.) Eight kingdoms remained in the world. One apiece of Human and Dorf, and six Elven of comparable size.

I went back to Kor and switched out my sword for an axe.

Kor came out of retirement in 1325. The world passed into the Dwarven Age on the 27th of Slate, 1340. It had made a brief stopover in the Golden Age starting in Hematite of 1337, when one of each kind of kingdom remained in the world.

In fifteen years of constant combat, Kor lost his right hand (and by extension the faithful steel shield that had kept him protected for over a century) and the rest of his teeth to an Elven Maceman. He sustained no other injuries more severe than a bruise. All in all, his full tally of injuries after just over 133 years of adventuring was one lost hand, one lost finger, multiple lost teeth, a short straight scar on his right foot, and a few bruises.

His kill list is unloadable. I'm serious. I've tried loading the page with his kill list on it, and it crashes DF. I did the math, though, and at the time of the Dwarven Age's beginning he'd racked up just shy of 10000 kills (around 15% of those random wild animals and more than 70% of them Elves.)

The current date is Slate 28, 1340. It is midmorning. Kor is standing before the ruler of the last remaining Human civilization. The last Dwarven civ is a stone's throw up the mountain. The last goblin settlement in the world is on an unreachable island in the middle of the Sea of Sleeping, and cannot be reached by any means I've ever found. That leaves two large kingdoms, both of whom idolize Kor as nothing less than a living avatar of Armok Almighty. He has single-handedly killed every legendary beast that was alive when he started adventuring. He has brought law to the lawless lands, brought the mighty to heel and carved his name indelibly into the rock of Ages, having caused shifts between them five times by his own hand (starting with Myths, then to Legends, then to Heroes, then to Elven, then to Golden, then to Dwarven). He is almost two hundred years old, has just passed the 133rd anniversary of his initial wandering. In all this time, he has never had a travelling companion. And he has avoided all streams and pools of water like the motherf***ing PLAGUE.

Here he stands, sword held at the ready, searching among the world for the last vestiges of glory to be had.

Now, my question for the Bay12 forums.

What next?

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kor Fightevil the Power of Mortals
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 11:53:21 am »

Well, firstly, I request pics of the kill list as proof  :P

Secondly, even if that was made up, awesome :D

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 11:57:36 am »

Okay, again, I have tried loading the kill list and it crashes DF trying to load it. I run a low-end comp and it usually hangs for ten seconds or more just trying to load Legends mode.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 12:06:54 pm »

it is time to lean to swim.
out to the coast and paddle a round un till up get your skill up a few levels.

try and have a diffent character find kor so the game spawns kors trophys.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 02:50:13 pm »

Train swimming and destroy the remaining goblins.

Also, upload the save. Armok requires it, so that someone with a better PC may weep in awe of the glory of Kor Fightevil, the Power of Mortals!

Also, I'm nominating this for the Hall of Legends.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 04:25:58 pm »

I've already got swimming (Legendary at this point, just like every combat-based skill he's ever used plus the rest less Knapping), but I meant it literally when I said 'unreachable.' I've swum to the island twice and there's no way to get up to dry land. Cliffs abound.

I'd love to upload, but I can't. The main reason I posted this was for advice on what to do next, and at this point my only viable answer is 'reinstall DF and start over.' I had the DF folder with Kor's savefile stored on my flash drive, which was in the pocket of the pants I wore yesterday, which my dipshit roommate ran through the wash. Lesson learned: Install to hard-drive. On a slightly more cheerful note, the world that I've started has a thriving fortress going strong. I might start a LP off of it just for lulz.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 04:25:58 pm »

How did you kill all the elves, with the forest retreats not appearing?

And i like how you just got back up and slaughtered all the things that were not of your race because of the stupid elves.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 04:35:35 pm »

How did you kill all the elves, with the forest retreats not appearing?

And i like how you just got back up and slaughtered all the things that were not of your race because of the stupid elves.
I've no idea, I got the folder with the *.exe and everything else from my roommate last April (different dude from the one who killed my flash drive). He was a programming whiz, and I still haven't found all the stuff he 'fixed.' I found the magmawiki about a week after getting the game, and when I asked him what he'd fixed out of the buglist he just said 'the buglist.'

and retelling this really makes me disappointed that I don't have the smooth-running version anymore.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 05:03:51 pm »

You really should email that to Toady One......
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 05:12:00 pm »

email what? My OP?

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 07:38:38 pm »

NO, A PHOTO OF CHUCK NORRIS! Yes your OP.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 07:17:33 am »

email what? My OP?

A bug free version of the game.......
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 08:52:34 am »

Ah, that.

I called Ishmael (my former roommate) up last night and he did manage to fix 'the buglist,' eventually. It took him the rest of the semester, and 'the buglist' he referred to was about two dozen minor bugs he'd listed for a class he was taking. Forest Retreats were one of those, and that plus food+drink were the only things he'd changed when he gave me a copy of the folder. I've started running vanilla DF and it's actually running a bit faster than Ishi's version.

which reminds me.

I'll be starting a new dungeon and I'd like to do an LP of it, which subforum would I post that in?

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 09:33:42 am »

I've already got swimming (Legendary at this point, just like every combat-based skill he's ever used plus the rest less Knapping), but I meant it literally when I said 'unreachable.' I've swum to the island twice and there's no way to get up to dry land. Cliffs abound.

Well, it's useless now, but just in case this problem ever shows up again, wouldn't it be pretty easy to start in fortress mode there and build a ramp to the sea?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 09:51:55 am »

Well, it's useless now, but just in case this problem ever shows up again, wouldn't it be pretty easy to start in fortress mode there and build a ramp to the sea?
Probably would have been a good plan, but I was more focused on genociding the rest of the Megabeast-centric world. One tiny cliff-infested island with a single goblin tower isn't that much concern to me.
Pages: [1] 2