Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many Forgotten Beasts CAN there be in the world? They just keep coming!  (Read 1722 times)

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've dealt with a dozen FBs so far. But every year 1-3 new ones appear. Does this rate ever slow down? This is a 13yo fort in a freshly generated medium island world. How many FBs have YOU killed in a single game?

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, there are tons of them. Just check the legends.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Presumably you could exhaust all of them from a world, but I think that would take a very long time.  From my understanding, forgotten beasts are shared across the world, so they'll keep coming at more or less the current rate until you do finish them all off.

I actually have no idea how many there are in a world like that, but I doubt any fort would normally kill them all within its lifespan.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thats mainly because of the syndromes though.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

True, but I've read that even 50 year old or older forts still receive attacks from FBs, so it's safe to assume that there's more than any normal fort could hope to kill.

I think my longest lasting fort was close to 20 years old, and I'd killed a few dozen by then.  I just got bored with the fort, even losing 1/3 of the population to a FB once didn't bring it down.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Time to build the PokeFortress and capture them all.  :P
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder if anyone's actually successfully killed all the FB's in a world before.  If not...    ;)
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Might be possible in a very old world?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Or a very small one, yes. The questions you should rather be asking is if anyone has ever killed all of the forgotten beasts in a medium world.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh my god >.<
Sheesh. Well, I'm not too worried about syndromes because they all get lava treatment for that particular reason. Lava + water if necessary. I was kind of hoping there'd be like 50 max but it also occurred to me that towards the end, their rate of arrival would decrease, rather than stop, right? It'd drop close to zero, but there'd always be one or two somewhere in the world. My goal was actually to wait until I could be sure the caverns would be safe, but it seems there's no other way but to wall off ALL the map edges in caverns. Let 'em come, damnit. Doesn't matter where they get the magma treatment - either in my gauntlet or at the map edge. It's going to be a bitch to locate the cavern entrances...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: How many Forgotten Beasts CAN there be in the world? They just keep coming!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 03:03:53 pm »

The max is 100000. Have fun.

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 06:10:35 am »

Weird, Last time I played I just got one during a period of 30 years. :3 Lots of titans though.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 12:22:42 pm »

Whereas I almost never get titans.  I think I've seen 2 in 3 forts.  One of which got killed by a hunter.

I tend to get minotaurs instead, which are a laughably weak foe in comparison to some FBs and titans.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 02:07:06 pm »

The max is 100000. Have fun.
Nonsense - the number of forgotten beasts in any given world is equal to the number of Underground Regions in said world, which is typically less than 1000 (even for a LARGE REGION world).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 03:11:54 pm »

somewhere in a place in his embark there is an open circus? possibility?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2