Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking for a good wilderness survival game  (Read 31328 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a good wilderness survival game
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 12:23:05 pm »

Original Post when talking about the post itself, Original Poster when talking about who made the first post. So you are the OP, and the first post is the OP.

Beat me to it!

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 12:24:05 pm »

or it could mean over powered.
nothing

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 12:29:26 pm »

OP?
To be honest, and i may sound foolish, i never got what OP mean...
Yea, im now the worst forumer of b12...
Original Post / Original Poster.

I think we both got inter-ninja'd...
Right!? Right?...

EDIT: inter-ninja'd x3!
Awesome :D

EDIT2: Everyone urged to feed me with knowledge! What a nice community :D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:55:07 pm by Jimmitheking »
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 12:54:48 pm »

I dimly remember Robinson's Requiem, if you want to go really old-school (and uber hard-core)...
This and its sequel, Deus (not to be mixed up with Deus Ex). They're probably the most realistic depiction of what would happen if you crash-landed on a life-supporting alien planet - you'd die of a dozen different diseases or get mauled by local wild life.

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 12:56:58 pm »

I dimly remember Robinson's Requiem, if you want to go really old-school (and uber hard-core)...
This and its sequel, Deus (not to be mixed up with Deus Ex). They're probably the most realistic depiction of what would happen if you crash-landed on a life-supporting alien planet - you'd die of a dozen different diseases or get mauled by local wild life.

Yea, i heard about it!
But never actually DLed it... Gonna try this out!
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 01:11:17 pm »

First, sorry for double-posting....

But finnaly im not sure about Deus.
I had DOSbox to play daggerfall once, but i didnt really like it.
I mean, its not that complicated, but im really too lazy to always enter some specific code to play 5 minutes on a game.
But it still do look interesting. I might keep it in mind and check back some other time.

Is there any other Wilderness survival games you guys can throw at me?

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 12:14:22 am »

I think you might like http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html
It's called Unreal World and it is set in Finland (?) during the late Iron age. Its a paid rougelike but it has a trial so you can get a good opinion before you decide if you are going to buy it.

Ninja Edit: Nevermind, I didn't read your entire post.
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 04:32:44 am »

You could like Caves of Qud, even if there's no shelter building.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 05:14:46 am »

Description from HOTU:

Wilderness is a unique survival adventure that may well be the most realistic simulation of its kind ever made, even decades after its release.

The game casts you as an archaelogist in search of the Croesus status, rumored to be inside the Lost City of Gold. From the scene of where your plane crashed, you must trek into the wilderness, find the statue, and return alive.

Although Wilderness may appear to be just another parser-based interactive fiction, the player will soon discover that the game's astounding level of realism and detail more than qualifies it as a simulation. The game was designed by a team of real-life doctors, and it shows: right from the start, the game asks for your height, age, and heart rate-- all of which affect hundreds of factors, from stamina, speed, and resistance to disease. Every decision involved in real-life camping is modeled in this game. For instance, you must WEAR WOOL SOCKS during cold weather to prevent frostbite; PACK and CARRY supplies (each of which has a weight, and you can overburden yourself); MAKE various survival tools from available raw material, such as HUT (possible if tree limbs are nearby), or even TRAP to catch wild game; BOIL WATER gathered from questionable sources (all food spoils at 65 degrees Fahrenheit); USE SPLINT to treat broken legs or arms; and navigate by the stars at night. The list of options is virtually endless, and there are many random elements (storms, diseases etc.) that you must contend with. The game boasts a 300-word vocabulary, none of which is superfluous. The parser is robust enough to understand long sentences and respond appropriately.

Wilderness features "Panagraphics," a 3D graphics generating system that guarantees a new, random map each time you play. Those who prefer adventure games to realistic simulations can play in "Research Mode," in which you are no longer affected by burdensome parameters such as hunger, thirst, or illness. Overall, Wilderness is a complex simulation that is guaranteed to teach you a few things about real-life survival adventure. It may seem "dry" to some, but for those who crave realism in their games, there's no better survival game on the market. Thumbs up!

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 08:20:44 am »

Survival: the ultimate challange is a good one, and not your typical one too, it's slightly more rts than rpg(well a nice blend) in that you controll a  group of cast aways from an RTS PoV, and yes yuor castaways can get depressed and suicide, just like in DF. It's relitivly unknown despite being published by activison but is a great game none-theless
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 05:39:14 am »

Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 04:15:55 pm »

You guys might wanna check this topic.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 01:53:14 pm »

try sourceforge.net the open source mob might have something
Pages: 1 [2]