Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Danger room  (Read 1359 times)

ninjabear53

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger room
« on: January 31, 2012, 05:46:07 pm »

what exactly is one and how do you make one? im confuesed and dont fully understand

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger room
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 05:54:09 pm »

It's talked about so much, I'm sure the details are findable, on the forum, although I suppose it's talked around so much that it might be a bit buried beneath knowing winks and people just saying how it is/is not an exploit and should/should not be nerfed...

Tell you what, try the DF Wiki page on the subject.  Does that help?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 05:54:44 pm »

In the Carpenter's Workshop build training spears. These spears can be fashioned into upright spear traps, but since it's a training weapon, it doesn't actually kill your dwarfs. To build them, press b, T, S. You can assign up to 10 training spears, this just makes training faster, and gives more bruises to your dwarfs. Link them all with a level with a mechanism (made in a Mechanic Workshop).

Assign your squad inside and let a civilian dwarf pull the lever, and setting it on repeat. The dwarfs will dodge, block and swat away the spears increasing their military skills.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 05:56:00 pm »

These spears can be fashioned into upright spear traps, but since it's a training weapon, it doesn't actually kill your dwarfs.

Has a low chance of death. If they fall asleep on one, they're gone.

ninjabear53

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 06:03:27 pm »

feck sorry i should have checked the Wiki page for some reason i didnt think there was one. and will it raise pretty much all of the skills? will they try to wrestle the spears? please say yes :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 06:11:40 pm »

feck sorry i should have checked the Wiki page for some reason i didnt think there was one. and will it raise pretty much all of the skills? will they try to wrestle the spears? please say yes :D

Nope :(

Though they will block them, parry them, and all sorts of other fancy stuff. Like blocking the spears with a cloth cape.

BatDwarf.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 06:22:29 pm »

Well, the Wiki page does have a "if you really want to exploit it" thing at the bottom of the page.  If you want to add Wrestling as a required skill for a random weapon of your choice, it could do that, it appears.

(F.Y.I., though I've started building what may be considered to be a Danger Room, it's always been tied to my aesthetic and OCD sensibilities so that I've never yet completed one entirely in exactly the same material of weapon, etc, and thus never had to decide whether activating the room would be against my own Rules Of Engagement. ;)  Basically, all that I know about this is from what I've read, and none from what I've actually done.)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 06:26:11 pm »

These spears can be fashioned into upright spear traps, but since it's a training weapon, it doesn't actually kill your dwarfs.

Has a low chance of death. If they fall asleep on one, they're gone.

Not if they have good armor. For that matter, it's worth to give your dwarves something to cover each and every body part before sending them in- cloth cloak and hood, gauntlets and boots, and just to be on the safe side, a breatsplate and/or a mail shirt- unarmed deaths come mostly from suffocation by having both lungs bruised.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 06:27:20 pm »

If you give them a weapon it will train that weapon.

Also make sure they are set to active duty. Otherwise they will get impaled.

I only use one spike per tile, it trains them a tad slower but i've yet to have a military guy get hurt from it.

Though if they have babies. *Shudders
May the mass times acceleration be with you

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 06:40:55 pm »

My largest problem seems to be the cats that sit waiting for a dwarf in order to slowly make their way through the triple door that guards the entrance against pets. I've lost dozens of the things.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 07:42:51 pm »

Does anyone have a good solution to this problem, other than only recruiting males? I tried building a boarding school and designating it as a burrow for all children but infants won't leave their mothers.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 07:50:51 pm »

Don't danger room train your soldiers? Flood the babies away from the mothers?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 07:55:14 pm »

Does anyone have a good solution to this problem, other than only recruiting males? I tried building a boarding school and designating it as a burrow for all children but infants won't leave their mothers.
Or, vice-versa, mothers won't leave their infants.  And they'll probably have loads of bad thoughts if you try to do anything about that.

If you have any married female warriors, keep them in units not subjected to the Danger Room.  (Or just infant-bearing mother ones, but you never know when any married female could give birth...)

Or don't have married females in the military  Or not within the melee squads, at least.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 02:10:31 am »

You can separate mothers from their infants by dropping them into water. This does introduce other problems. But you could for example, drop the mothers into a 6/7 deep pool, let them climb out, put them in the danger room and train them for a while, then drain the pool and let them reclaim their infants.

I'm usually not worried about these things because my military dwarves see a lot of real combat (good old FD mod) so are psychologically hardened. See that's the problem with danger room training. You get awesome dwarves but at heart they are still wussy cheesemakers and fishcleaners who flip because someone killed their pet parrot or parasite.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 04:34:01 am »

That is why I let animals into my danger room.

Splatter your dwarfs with enough blood and they stop caring.

Not that I recommend this but if you have enough children already, let the moms train with their babies. The moms become nigh unbreakable after a few loses. The other members of the squad become good too.

I wonder though would it be worthwhile to draft mothers into 9 man danger room squads just to harden the squad?
May the mass times acceleration be with you
Pages: [1] 2