Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Troll like creatures  (Read 1165 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Troll like creatures
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:19:05 pm »

So I want to mod in a type of pet creature that behaves similarly to trolls, that is they can learn, they are cheap for the civ that they are domesticated by and they tend to come along on sieges.  I looked at the troll creature entry and the entity entry for goblins and couldn't find anything to tell me what lets Goblins bring trolls on their sieges.  can anyone help?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Troll like creatures
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:26:50 pm »

It's a combination of the [SLOW_LEARNER] tag along with the fact that goblins use evil animals and that they share biomes with trolls. All in all pet usage is a fairly hard thing to control because it is based off of several factors.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 06:42:18 pm »

cant you just add the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag to the raw?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 06:45:24 pm »

Yes that will enable access to the creatures. However it does not make them bring them with them on sieges, nor does it necessarily allow them to have access to them in the first place (differing biomes for example).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:16:41 pm »

You can definetly use the biome:underground_chasm in combination with: use_cave_animals for your race. This way you can limit the use of your pets better. And I can testify that pet controling is damn hard.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 07:55:13 pm »

You can definetly use the biome:underground_chasm in combination with: use_cave_animals for your race. This way you can limit the use of your pets better. And I can testify that pet controling is damn hard.
Yeah..I sometimes wish pets worked like weapon definitons in an entity.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 12:31:50 am »

or the oft grumbled about variations for domestics...

maybe one day we'll have things like: 'cavern domestic', 'amphibious domestic', 'flying domestic', 'good domestic', 'savage domestic' (which just sounds like an oxymoron)

i'd absolutely love to have options like those to help limit who gets access to what

as is, currently, setting your troll-like race to [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:2] as their biome and giving them [PET] and then giving dwarves [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] in their entity file will (usually) allow them to bring the animals on embark. just remember, give them a pet value or they'll show up with an embark cost of 1, which is kinda cheaty...

and realize this means the goblins will prob'ly wind up with them, too

if that winds up not being enough, adding [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] to the dwarf entity file will definitely make them show up...but will also add tons upon tons of other animals for dwarves to use. basically, anything that doesn't have the [GOOD] or [EVIL] tags that lives in the biomes your dwarven civ lives in during worldgen

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 12:35:33 am »

What astianax said, but DO NOT use use_any_pet_race. Instead add the pet tag to them. anypetrace just allows pet_exotics.

If you dont want your dwarves to have them, and only an evil invader race, give them the EVIL tag as well, same as trolls. this way your dwarves dont use them, but the evil race will. (if they have the correct tag in the entity file, of course)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 06:36:09 am »

Don't forget:

[SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:25:180000:VOCALIZATION:problem?:looks trollfaced:u mad bro?]

Oh wait, different kind of troll.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."