Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adamantine cloth items.  (Read 3843 times)

jerank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adamantine cloth items.
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:12:31 am »

I've a slight problem. I want my dwarves to wear adamantine clothes in order to protect them to the fullest extent. However, I don't know if adamantine items degrade or not, so I'm worried that my investment will be lost if I try. If they do degrade, can I mod this out in some way? It doesn't really make sense to me that threat spun from a nearly physically indestructable substance would wear down after a while.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine cloth items.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 11:16:05 am »

Yes, adamantine clothing will wear. The only known ways that I know to stop this is to add the [HARD] and possibly the [ARMORLEVEL:1] tokens to every type of clothing. Note that this will prevent all wear however, no just that of adamantine clothes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jerank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:26:15 am »

Will these tags effect the performance of the armor itself, however? I want adamantine cloth entirely because it is soft, and therefore deflects some attacks better then rigid armor.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 11:55:10 am »

Nope. Armor is determined by the coverage and other tags and (more importantly) the material that it is made out of. Adding those tags should have no effect other then eliminating wear (also the armor level tag will cause your civilians to no longer claim clothes since they will be defined as "armor", but they don't do that anyways).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 01:11:09 pm »

I'm a bit confused. I understand civilians won't claim equipment with an armor level, but does that also mean they'll not have these clothes as starting equipment either?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 02:59:51 pm »

does that also mean they'll not have these clothes as starting equipment either?

Yes. Civilians won't wear armor.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:26:21 pm »

does that also mean they'll not have these clothes as starting equipment either?

Damn, so no workaround for naked miners and woodcutters by year 5, eh?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »

Assign them to a squad, set the clothes they should wear as the squad's armor, then set them to wear armor when inactive.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 04:04:35 pm »

Assign them to a squad, set the clothes they should wear as the squad's armor, then set them to wear armor when inactive.
Assigning miners, woodcutters, and hunters to the military is a bit strange due to those profession's "invisible uniforms" consisting of just their job item (pick, axe, crossbow) conflicting with their military uniforms.

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 08:13:11 pm »

Make sure to train up some decent clothiers and maybe reebark with a high level strand extractor .
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

mikelon

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 01:07:59 am »

its a moot point since civies dont wear the stuff your clothiers make, they grab it, and store it in their stash. Then never use it

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 01:15:19 am »

Maybe all civilians have an invisible uniform which stops them wearing any sort of clothes? :/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 06:43:18 am »

its a moot point since civies dont wear the stuff your clothiers make, they grab it, and store it in their stash. Then never use it
I made like 100 cloaks at once and a few of my dwarves had like 6 cloaks on. I have no idea how it works, but they do wear your stuff at least sometimes.

actually wait, those were probably soldiers :/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:46:43 am by Yaotzin »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 07:02:34 am »

If you take a naked dwarf and draft him; order him to wear regular clothes... then un-draft him once he has put them on.

Think that'd work? On one hand the clothes are his military uniform but on the other hand they're just -clothes- and they're on his body.

brb gonna try that.

edit: nope. getting a dwarf to undress is easy, just tell him to replace his clothing with armor... but then I couldnt tell him to put on his old clothes (cant appoint owned items in the military menu. another reason not to make adamantine robes: people claim them as regular clothes and your military wont get to it!)
 i bought some new clothes and ordered him to equip the specifics. he did so (two socks and a toga) and there was some hope because when i relieved him from duty he took off the toga but kept the socks on... but unfortunately it seems the socks were simply a low priority job and they later came off as well... oh well.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:28:48 am by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 07:33:41 am »

How do DF releases work? Will all these little bugs be getting fixed in the next version or is it the type of game that's always got tons of quirky bugs? :p
Pages: [1] 2