Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: BEST war animal?  (Read 8720 times)

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BEST war animal?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 10:33:02 am »

You cant train those.

And I'm talking sheer mean killing potential. Grizzly or crocodile?
Well, cave crocs are 3 times the size of grizzly bears, lay 20 to 60 eggs and have jaws powerful enough to go through iron from time to time.
On the other side, they take three years to mature, while the grizzly only take one.

I prefer cave crocs because I usually don't need to use them for the first 3 or 4 years of the fortress anyway and also because having an army of 40 war crocs tearing people apart is a great mental image.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 11:09:36 am »

Also. Beak dogs. Devastating.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 04:25:40 pm »

Besides, we all know the best war animal is the Dire Goat. We know this is true.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 06:26:31 pm »

I like dogs.

Dogs breed quickly, are expendable, are liked by lots of dwarves. They're quick, you can easily trade for more dogs, and when your dog screws up and dies you're not left thinking "how could this have happened?"

Nothing beats the mental imagery of a forgotten beast showing up to wreck your outpost and being run down by hundreds and hundreds of very inbred dogs.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 06:32:26 pm »

I like dogs.

Dogs breed quickly, are expendable, are liked by lots of dwarves. They're quick, you can easily trade for more dogs, and when your dog screws up and dies you're not left thinking "how could this have happened?"

Nothing beats the mental imagery of a forgotten beast showing up to wreck your outpost and being run down by hundreds and hundreds of very inbred dogs.

Thing is, Dogs have no chance against the most common of dwarven foes: Goblin Lashers. In that case, Bears of all sorts can actualy take a hit without a part of it flying off in a arc.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 06:48:56 pm »

I'd say Grizzlies are the best all around fighters.

Gorillas come in a close second; because of their decent bulk they can take a hit and their punches HURT.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 08:21:39 pm »

I just made a few 1 on 1 battle between grizzlies and cave crocs. The cave crocs completely destroy the grizzlies, not a single croc died in the 10 battles and two of them weren't even injured. I'd say that in the REALLY short term the grizzlies are better because the mature faster, but if you can wait 3 years you can have 20-60 mature crocs every couple of months, I can't really remember how fast the eggs hatch.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 08:24:11 pm »

Grizzly Bears, they saved my fledling keeper town from creeper explosions and other bears alike.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Dheyjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 09:59:36 pm »

My favorite is the Giant Desert Scorpion. Hard to come by since you have to start in a desert biome (which makes holding the fortress not easier), but worth it: Poison that inflicts brain necrosis, so even if he dies, his victim will too; can disarm opponents and wield the weapons himself, is fear and stunn immun and fights to the death. What more can you ask for  ;)

But since they can't be trained (without editing the raws  :P ) and this is about war animals, I'd go for the cave-crocodile. During the early years you can butcher the young males and get massive amounts of food and bones to carve and sell out of them. And once you got them to grow up you get 20-30 new ones every other month, laying eggs themselfes for a even larger population in later years.
If you don't watch them closely, you get yourself a "crocplosion"
English isn't my first language. If you find misspellings or grammar errors, feel free to quote and correct them.

obradenj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 10:36:31 am »

Mix GCS with GDS and the enemy will get stung and then die after geting webbed with precious precious silk and i think that salt crocs are slightly bigger and fiercer than caves but yea cave crocs are much better than bears all around ( yummy yummy eggs )

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 10:49:49 am »

Giant Cave Spiders can wipe out armies.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 03:12:34 pm »

Not possible to be a war animal without modding though :(

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2012, 12:24:36 am »

Obviously, none of you have ever been attacked by a jabberer. Those things can take a hit, they don't need grass, and I have seen one sever a dragon's lower body. Need I say any more?
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2012, 10:07:24 am »

War rabbits, have none of you ever seen Monty python and the holy grail?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4