Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Searching for mod that enables material selection in shops  (Read 650 times)

Ebergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Searching for mod that enables material selection in shops
« on: January 31, 2012, 04:33:10 am »

hello,

I would like to ask about such a mod. Is there one that allows player to choose stone, wood, gem type during item creation?
Its like - "order in Mason's Workshop 10 Granite Doors" not only "Stone Doors", also "Decorate my Granite Doors by any gem" - the type of gem does not matter, but the exact type of decorated item - it matters.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for mod that enables material selection in shops
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 05:12:48 am »

Are you talking about the embark screen? If so, I don't think that's possible. I think it's possible during trading, but I never actually tried, just a theory.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 06:23:29 am »

You can't add that to the standard workshops. However, you can make a new custom workshop with new reactions that specify the material to be used. But you would need a LOT of reactions to cover every material and every item in the game.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:16:39 am »

Perhaps some sort of program could be written to cover every item/material combo for us, in a form of list, which could then be used in the creation of this theoretical mod? I used to be a CS student.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:56:22 am »

Actually the ones for drinks, milling and blocks do exist already, just use the search function.

But making a reaction for every type of furniture would not only take a while, it would be quite a massive workshop. You would have to scroll through hundrets of reactions before you find the one you want.

Better to just use burrows, locked doors and workshop settings.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ebergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 01:18:30 pm »

I thought about
1st - select item type (let it be Table)
---next menu---
2nd - select material of this item (let it be Gabbro)

so in the result my Mason would make a Gabbro Table, not Marble not Obsydian but Gabbro

so not much scrolling at all, keeping all the reactions in one menu - thats a massacre (like one in manager screen w'o search)

Metalsmith forge have such a design so i thought it would be easy to assign something similiar to Mason's

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:31:57 pm »

You can't make submenus like that through modding. The stuff in the forge that allows that is all hardcoded. Even if you could make submenus, you can't add or alter reactions at the mason's shop. Toady will probably get around to redoing the workshops eventually, but it's fairly low-priority, so it'll probably be another couple years at least before we see that happen.

What you can do is use the z-Stones screen and allow only a few stone types for use. These assignments do not hinder the use of stones for things that must use those stones (for instance, if limestone is red/disabled, the make pig iron and make steel reactions will still take it), but do stop other things from those uses. If you wanted to make gabbro tables alone, you'd just disable everything but gabbro on the stones screen.

Alternatively, make a burrow that includes your main living spaces (which should be cleared of junk stone), a mason's shop (which should be cleared of junk stone), and a stockpile that accepts only the type of stone you want furniture made of (which should be cleared of junk stone). Assign your mason(s) to this burrow and they'll accept only jobs within the burrow and use only items within the burrow, thus allowing you to control what stone types are available to them without having to actually clear the whole fort.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!