Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chasm  (Read 2023 times)

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chasm
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:03:53 am »

How would one go about finding and embarking on a Chasm? I think this would make a great place for a suspended fort and am curious if anyone has any ideas.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Chasm
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:09:11 am »

I'm pretty sure that Chasms don't actually appear so much in the latest version.

I may be wrong, but in all of my many forts I've never seen one.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:13:48 am »

Yeah, thats why I came here and asked. I've only ever seen one Chasm and that was in 40d. I hope the become more frequent or toady puts an option in Advanced parameters to allow them to be more common.

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 01:01:09 am »

If I'm not mistaken, chasms don't exist anymore, having been replaced by the caverns. You can still find really big pits in the caverns, though.

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 05:10:35 am »

Some of the rivers may have some huge cliffs - think "grand canyon" style.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:50:58 am »

I'm pretty sure that Chasms don't actually appear so much in the latest version.

I may be wrong, but in all of my many forts I've never seen one.
They don't exist, having been replaced with he caverns/magma sea instead. If you dig down to the magma sea then you can just chuck stuff in there like it was a chasm and it will be destroyed when it hits the semi-molten rock though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 05:24:04 pm »

What if one pours water over the magma layer, then digs a channel there in the resulting obsidian? Wouldn't that create an entrance to a bottomless void? And if you could do that, you could create your own chasms!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 06:38:27 pm »

You can't dig or obsidianize the SMR. And the obsidianized magma would fall into said SMR and be anihillated. Besides, the SMR is not the lowest part of the map. To get there you need to mine the blue metal.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

erthel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 08:36:51 pm »

Still, there are hollow holes that cross several cave levels. Very rare, but I've found at least two that I remember. They're not big, but go for about 20-30 z-levels. And they pop up a special message window when discovered.

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 01:03:10 am »

Interesting I didn't know they were completely removed.  :( Kinda makes me sad.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 12:38:19 pm »

Well technically they do appear in a more glowing form near the extreme bottom of the map, but other then that yeah, they have been completely removed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 12:47:17 pm »

Do note that it is possible, using utilities such as dfhack, to create normal chasm tiles that swallow both items and creatures just like back in 40d - it's just that the game itself never places them on its own.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 12:56:05 pm »

Do note that it is possible, using utilities such as dfhack, to create normal chasm tiles that swallow both items and creatures just like back in 40d - it's just that the game itself never places them on its own.

Yes.
And they can be created anywhere on the map, not just at the bottom z-level.
Use the dfhack tile tool.  The tile type is 35

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 04:46:39 pm »

Yes.
And they can be created anywhere on the map, not just at the bottom z-level.
Use the dfhack tile tool.  The tile type is 35

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks guy, this helps out alot!