Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 162

Author Topic: Roll to Dodge Princess Celestia, Act II [Actually Done This Time: R.I.P]  (Read 333440 times)

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile

Which part was that? I rember in the beginning that we had very few people die. Also I am liking this game but the more recent parts have felt a bit...unstructured. In the  beginning we had a very clear goal and we're able to accomplish this goal not easily but without wandering around for awhile. I guess that in the latest part of the game I kinda feel like we aren't really accomplishing anything storywise and it feels a bit like faffing about. I personally would like to see us get back onto a more concrete track. But thats just me.
I am liking it so far though, wish it would update more frequently but a well, tis a long RTD.
This is creepy similar to my opinion.
+1
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile

Being near the bottom of the waitlist, I am a bit bias, but having three or four people dying per battle I think is decent enough. Although, I do agree with mcclay about how it feels a bit unstructured now as opposed to near the beginning. It's starting to feel less like an overall quest to kill a Tyrant and more of a series of team-based arena battles with very creative enemy sets. Sure, it's a great game and all, but I feel it would be even better if things got back on track. Heck, Celestia hasn't been even seen since the last battle with her with the Total Party Wipeout. I think with all the running around the HOES are doing, she's either in Russia by now or acting the Hare and just waiting for them to actually do something towards catching up. While the battles themselves are fun and interesting, I fail to connect how this is helping them prepare for the Final Battle. Or anything, for that matter. New weapons, whoopdeedoo. Maybe have more characters be able to level up under certain circumstances, as that would make for a much better feeling of progress and accomplishment.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

GraveHaunter92

• Bay Watcher
  • All legends are true, few are accurate
    • View Profile

Well I think a little more character death wouldn't hurt the game, and like what everyone else said I would enjoy getting a little more context to the story.  The battles are all fun but it would be cool to hear what meaning they all have and what effects our actions are having. 

Of course I'd love to see more updates but I know that this is a real long game and all.
Jesus must have been guiding him in living out the way of the samurai.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It looks like I haven't gotten the storyline across well at all, so let me see if this makes more sense:

Since Princess Celestia is basically > everything at this point, the H.O.E.S. have shifted from a force bent out from killing her, since she's gotten too powerful, into an Elite Special Forces unit for the Lunar Republic which primarily assist conventional Lunar forces, or specifically go after certain Celestial leaders. On Earth, Celestia has set up various armies to control countries and territory around the globe, with the armies headed by different evil people. In this case, the Confederacy has started the Second American Civil War, and the H.O.E.S. are performing various duties to assist the United States of America and the Lunar Republic in the struggle. So it's:

The Celestial Empire + The Confederate States of America VS. The Lunar Republic + The United States of America

When the party arrived in Jamaica, that was simply a vacation gone wrong, but also distracted the H.O.E.S. from pursuing the Celestial forces. When the H.O.E.S. got to the United States, they had to take a longer, indirect path to Virginia, (where much of the fighting between the various forces is going on) as to avoid the majority of Confederate forces. This is why they went all over the place, including running into Confederate leader Jesse James and his Posse who attempted to take them out, but of course failed. Next they went into a zombiefied town, which I was trying to imply was infected due to a Confederate biological attack, but I did a really bad job of. So now they're in Virginia and going into this plantation to rescue some key figures from the United States. So really the goal of the H.O.E.S. right now is to assist the United States and Lunar Army, and the final boss of this arc would be Robert E. Lee.

The issue with this game is that it was spun-off of the "Roll To Dodge Mr. T" game, so really this was more of a joke/gimmicky game then anything and should not have lasted more than 30 Pages. But since it kept going, I've been trying to adapt an actual storyline into the game. It's like a joke episode of a Television series, only now I have to make an entirely new series based on the joke episode. I'll try to be a lot more explicit with what's going on, since I've been leaving too much stuff out. Thanks guys! <3
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Well, you've been doing an awesome job so far. Although really, since Celestia > everything, shouldn't the goal of the HOES be to gain enough power / assemble magical artifacts (coughelementsofharmonycough) in order to actually kill Celestia? Otherwise they've got no hope of winning.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, you've been doing an awesome job so far. Although really, since Celestia > everything, shouldn't the goal of the HOES be to gain enough power / assemble magical artifacts (coughelementsofharmonycough) in order to actually kill Celestia? Otherwise they've got no hope of winning.
That or crush the god under respawning cannon fodder. (AKA us)
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge Princess Celestia, Act II! (Ch. 69: The Siege)
« Reply #2196 on: July 28, 2013, 08:19:11 pm »

Chapter 69: The Siege

Twilight Sparkle attempts a group-wide healing spell. (3) The spell manages to work on the Kingston S.W.A.T. Team, but doesn't help out Dagoth Ur due to the severity of his wounds. The air around Twilight shifts as she teleports into the house. (5) Twilight appears in front of the steel door in the house. The Head Guard turns around, "Mah' gawd', itsa' purple horse." (1 vs. 6) He pulls out a pistol and fires it at her, only to have it blow up in his hands. He curses and drops the weapon. (4 vs. 5-1) Twilight responds by getting with the deadly magic technique of "Now your hat has disappeared."

The Overwatch scans the front of the plantation as all goes to hell. He swings his rifle around, trying to find an actual enemy to shoot. Meanwhile, a hidden Simo Hayha is doing the same, but he is a superior sniper. (3 vs. 1-1) The Overwatch falls onto his back as a bullet rips through his right arm, his Scoped Hunting Rifle clattering to the ground. When the guard hits the ground, he backs away from the windows, in awe that another sniper had managed to shoot him first.

After stabbing a Confederate with Spaghetti, The Pastamancer runs into the bathroom. The bathroom was really nice as one would have expected from a plantation of this stature. The floor had a black-and-white checkerboard pattern. An oval mirror hung over the sink, enshrouded in fancy gold design. The sink itself is jade marble, with ivory sink handles. The toilet is of fine foreign porcelain. The pasta chef pulls out The Boss's Cell Phone and gives The Kingston S.W.A.T. Team a call. "Get in the house now guys, they have a really nice bathroom!" After closing the phone, the Pastamancer sets up the Automated Turret outside an Eastern window of the plantation.

Applejack hears the alarms going off. "Oh well, back to shootin' and explosions ah suppose!" She charges out of the fields to the house, pulling A Boss's Fragmentation Grenade out of her saddlebag. As she darts across the fields, the two guards on the porch jump to their feet and point their rifles at her. "Come and get some, boys!" (6 vs. 3-1) A single grenade rolls onto the deck of the porch. Seconds later, a burst of energy and shrapnel spreads out unto the porch, filling the guards with many nasty metal splinters, as well as flinging them aside. The orange mare kicks down the door and runs into the house.

Al Capone looks at the Stablehand. "Well, that took care of him, huh?" The gang leader chuckles to himself as he walks back outside, hearing the alarm blaring. "Shit, not the Feds again." Capone runs for the house, right behind Applejack, and manages to pull the pin and toss a Pineapple Bomb up into the large window on the front of the house. (1 vs. 3-1) The Overwatch sees the bomb fly into his room. He instinctively grabs it at the last moment with his good hand and he chucks it back out the window. (4-1 vs. 1) It explodes a few feet above Capone, and he's thrown forward by the blast, but fortunately not hit by much shrapnel other than some deep scrapes along his back.

"That hurt, you silly n'wah! And my mask! You've dented it!" Dagoth Ur screamed on the ground beneath his torn hammock. Well, this wasn't his idea of where he was supposed to be; he was destined for a tropical amusement park resort paradise that would have beaten Disneyworld in sales, not bleeding out on the yard of a plantation in South Carolina. He rolled onto his back and closed his eyes. "If only this could be like the old days way back..." (Perseverance Roll: 6) Suddenly, Dagoth jumps to his fight with his eyes open. "YES, I SEE IT! IT CAN NOT END HERE!" He jumps up to his feet, seemingly brushing off all his wounds. "MY PEOPLE STILL NEED ME! I STILL HAVE MY DREAM! A DREAM WHERE ONE DAY THE SONS OF SLAVES AND SLAVE-OWNERS CAN COME TOGETHER TO BOW BEFORE HOUSE DAGOTH! WOOOO~!" He runs into the house.

Big Macintosh bring his hoof to cover his face, sighing deeply. It was all going so well up to this point. Well, here he was again faced with the familiar task of defending a barn from marauding bandits. He checks his saddle-bag for his Apple and Apple Explosive Accessories (2) only to realize he's left them all back home. Regardless, Mac gets inside the plantation house.

Twilight Sparkle stands off against the Head Guard in the upstairs hallway. After failing to fire his pistol, the guard reaches for his sword. "NOT SO FAST! SVENSK RO DAH!" (4 vs. 2) Swedish Chef appears out of nowhere to deliver a burst of manly Swedish language that rips through the hallway like a vortex, catching the Head Guard and tossing him backwards. The flying Guard ends up hitting the locked door to the Master Study room with enough force that the door shatters.
Meanwhile, Mr. Tom and Mr. Fox do their things. Tom pulls out dynamite. (2) Damn, it looks like he traded all his Dynamite for a Carlos Mencia DVD. Mr. Fox has garrote. (4 vs. 5-1) Mr. Fox runs after Sweeper #2 but does not garrote him on account of him running away screaming.

Sweeper #2 runs for the house while getting chased, only to find that just about everyone else guarding the place is incapacitated or dead. He runs into Big Macintosh. (3-1 vs. 5) The muzzle flash lights up the room, but it goes too high up and only manages to damage a chandelier. (2 vs. 3-1) Big Mac turns around only for the Sweeper to flee into the safety of the front yard again.

Overwatch stands up and holds himself on a wall with his left arm. Seeing how his rifle would be of no use to him without both arms, he grabs his Oil Lamp off a crate. He leaves the Storage room, only to find a unicorn and a large man fighting off the Head Guard. Going for the element of surprise, the Overwatch throws the lamp at Twilight Sparkle. (2-1 vs. 6) Just somehow, the lamp ends up breaking on his face. With his whole head ignited, the screaming, burning overwatching sniper runs back into the Storage room, desperately looking for something to extinguish the flames. In the pandemonium, he ends up charging through one of the windows and falling over 30 feet onto the yard. *Thump*

Sentry #1 runs disrupts his patrol route to see what the hell is going on. Running into the hallway, he finds a dying guard spread over the floor. "Shit!" The sentry runs into the bathroom, to find the Pastamancer hunched over the toilet. Sentry #1 pulls out his Pistol (2-1 vs. 5) and puts a bullet into the wallpaper. (5 vs. 1-1) A second later, the Sentry ends up with a Spaghetti Spear in his throat. He backs out of the bathroom, holding his neck, before collapsing on the pinewood floor.

Sentry #2 runs up from the cellar up the stairs that lead into the Parlor Room. Drawing his Revolver, he sneaks up through the house to the front, where he finds that the H.O.E.S. have invaded the house. Crouching behind a wall, he edges out and tries to shoot Al Capone. (3-1 vs. 2) He shoots off Capone's hat, and then books it out back, running out the rear door of the house before the invasion force realizes what's going on.

Elite Kingston S.W.A.T. Team charges into the house, some going through the door, others through the windows. They rush inside to observe the bathroom that The Pastamancer is in. There is a general consensus among them that it is a very nice bathroom.

The Head Guard stands up from the pile of rubble wood where the door to the Study once stood. This time, he manages to pull his Sword out. Without a second thought, he charges The Swedish Chef, "TASTE THE REBEL STEEL!" (2 vs. 3) The Guard slices at the chef, who manages to lean back just far enough so the blade only gives him a superficial shaving cut. (1 vs. 3) The Swede pulls out his knife, but by then the Guard has retreated into the Upstairs Bathroom down the hall, shutting the door.

Having cleared the way for now, The Swedish Chef and Twilight Sparkle destroy the metal door locking the hostages in the Master Bedroom. Inside the refurbished room are dozens of people crowded into little spaces, recognizably U.S.'ian Military Generals and Politicians, along with their families. And then, there's the V.I.P.

"OH YEEEEEEEAAAAAA!~ SNAP INTO A SLIM-JIM!

Twilight Sparkle calls HQ, while ducking down underneath the barrage of very loud rendition of Pomp & Circumstance. "Is this guy really the V.I.P.?" She quickly gets a response, which is transmitted to the entire group via telepathy.

"Believe or not, Mr. Randy Savage is one of the best combatants in our struggle for the U.S.A. We'd want all the hostages alive of course, but if Macho Man dies here, this mission is a failure. We're getting signals that an entire Confederate Army is converging on your location. The Lunar forces have been sent out, but all of you are going to have to protect the V.I.P. and the Hostages for <8 Turns>. You're not alone, we'll be provided aerial support and airdropping reinforcements to your position. Good luck! Glory to the Lunar Republic!"

As the message ends, the sounds of a nation's footsteps, hoofsteps and wheels surround the cannon. Grey-shirts on all sides. Macho Man screaming.

"The fort must be held!"

-Some military guy from someplace said this probably I guess.

In this new battle mode, there is no Boss and defined amount of enemies to killed, this time around, the H.O.E.S. are the targets and must hold the enemy off. For 8 Turns, an endless stream of Confederates will be converging on the Plantation House from the North, West, East, and South directions towards the houses. Initially, these forces, separated into either units or individuals as usual, will eliminate any forces that stand in their way to the house. If all forces between them and the house are gone, they'll spend the turn Marching into the house. Once in the House, they'll repeat the process until they either die or are able to March upstairs. Once upstairs, they will be focused on killing the hostages and V.I.P. If the V.I.P. is killed, the Mission is a failure. This has no immediate effect, but it will alter the course of the story.

Note that the Confederates will bring in weaponry that has the potential to damage and alter the structure of the house.

The V.I.P. and Hostages can be Protected in the same way H.O.E.S. can, which means any attack directed towards them will instead target their protector.

Also, a new action is Fortify: Instead of performing a combat action, a H.O.E. can choose to fortify the house against outside invaders in one of the directions. The strength of the fortification will be based on a roll. At a (4), the fortification will stop a Confederate unit from Marching into the house, and instead they'll spend a turn removing the fortification. A character with Handiwork/Craftsmanship/etc. will get a bonus when Fortifying. Each part of the house can only be Fortified once, until the current fortification is destroyed.

I tried making a map for context, but when it comes to room-by-room drawing I fuck up my paint. On each side of the Plantation House:

North: Entrance Room, Stairwell. Confederate forces will be coming through the Front Door.

West: Parlor Room, Living Room. Confederate forces coming in through windows, or through a trapdoor headed to the Cellar.

East: Hallway, Bathroom. Confederate forces coming in through windows.

South: Kitchen. Confederate forces coming through Back Door.

Upstairs: Guest Room, Armory Room, Master Bedroom, Study Room. Confederate Forces will be coming up the stairs.

Enemy Positions:

-North-

Confederate Company No. 1
Items: Rifles
Health: 150/150

Sweeper No. 2
Items: Shotgun With Flashlight
Untrained: -1 to combat rolls.
Health: Fine

-West-

Confederate Calvary No. 1
Items: Sabers
Health: 80/80

Confederate Cannon
Items: Cannon, Cannonballs
Health: 5/5

-East-

Confederate Calvary No. 2
Items: Sabers
Health: 80/80

Confederate Gatling Guns
Items: 3 Gatling Guns
Health: 12/12

-South

Confederate Company No. 2
Items: Rifles
150/150

Sentry #2
Items: Revolver
Untrained: -1 to combat rolls.
Health: Fine

Spoiler: H.O.E.S. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Friendly NPCs (click to show/hide)

Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: July 28, 2013, 09:38:17 pm »

Find an upstairs window and get in cover. Kill confederate cannoneers.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: July 28, 2013, 09:57:06 pm »

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:59:02 pm by killerhellhound »
My Sig

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: July 28, 2013, 11:07:17 pm »

Start setting up some mannecotti mortars, have the SWAT team man them. Tinker with the Gurren Lagann parts in conjunction with the turret.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: July 29, 2013, 12:20:27 am »

Summon up some NCR soliders from the FO:E verse. We need more bodies damnit!
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

GraveHaunter92

• Bay Watcher
  • All legends are true, few are accurate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: July 29, 2013, 12:34:26 am »

Deploy Heavy Machine Gat in the doorway of North Entrance Room, Fortify the area Raise This Barn style!
Jesus must have been guiding him in living out the way of the samurai.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: July 29, 2013, 07:19:22 am »

"OH YES, I HAVE A DREAM, EQUESTRIA!"

Call Upon Allies! Have Dagoth Rather, the Snarky Ascended Sleeper join the fray and paralyze the Confederate Gatling Gunners!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:22:08 am by Harry Baldman »

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: July 29, 2013, 09:21:22 am »

"Ah, they gots me! My hat, too! Fuggetaboutit. If the pigs is comin', I's gonna haves roast pig fuh breakfast!"

Throw Molotov cocktails into the vegetation around (but not next to!) the house to form a RING OF FIRE
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: July 31, 2013, 05:16:21 pm »

Ok, after a long thinking session (read: Thinking for a a few seconds then playing Teleglitch for a few hours before remembering) I've decided my character shall be that one son of a bitch Gary Oak!
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 162