Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ...whoops.  (Read 1731 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
...whoops.
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:14:39 pm »

I recently had a buzzard problem. This fortress was one where I was dealing out modding with abandon, so I saved, modded buzzards' feathers to burst into flames at temperature 0, and reloaded.

Nothing happened at first. I realized that it wouldn't happen until they checked for temperature.
I waited a little longer. Then I saw the smoke.

...Oh dear. See, while the feathers on fire slowly kill them, they also set the grass on fire. I was using an aboveground fort.
I watched the devastation, told the dwarves to make a well (unrelated), and re-saved and re-modded. Now, it an attempt to kill them faster, I made their skin ignite instead. The fire was creeping towards the aboveground food stockpile and carpenter's workshop...I set up an underground meeting area, crossing my fingers...the fire reached the carpenter's workshop, scorching the furniture...the alcohol boiled, causing slightly amusing error messages from the dwarves drinking it...the game froze and crashed. Hm.
Maybe I should put buzzards back to normal.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ...whoops.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:31:32 pm »

Nonsense. You just need to make their blood catch fire.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:32:13 am »

Actually, you need to make them explode when in the future game allows that. Haven't you seen the movie Birdemic?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:07:02 am »

Just remove their brains.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:46:53 am »

See if you can get the buzzards to cook themselves. Think of the money you could make of buzzard roast roasts.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 01:42:24 pm »

Bolts + Crossbow.

Buzzard problem less annoying.

+Dog sentries

=

Buzzard forcefield

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 12:05:26 am »

So...you're trying to play out the immediate aftermath of Daphne Du Maurier's The Birds...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 12:07:03 pm »

This is why I love dwarf fortress.  You can make changes to things and the game's like "sure, that's perfectly reasonable thing to be normal" and merrily continue along as if it's always been that way and generate all new kinds of Fun.

Like exploding kittens.

Hybrid

• Bay Watcher
  • Strife M.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 12:34:50 pm »

Threads like these just make me want to get into Raws, learn what everything does, and do lots of crazy stuff. Hmm, actually, I think it`ll be "Do crazy stuff" before "Learn what everything does".

Oh, the carnage of awesomeness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 01:34:13 pm »

Threads like these just make me want to get into Raws, learn what everything does, and do lots of crazy stuff. Hmm, actually, I think it`ll be "Do crazy stuff" before "Learn what everything does".

Oh, the carnage of awesomeness.

Ftfy.