Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Let's Play (another) Aurora! Hooray! (doomed to die, fyi)  (Read 12656 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play (another) Aurora! Hooray! (doomed to die, fyi)
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2012, 10:33:26 am »

Oh, so torn between military ships and genetic research.  I won't be able to produce any actual ships,though, will I?  But I can't actually see how genetic research will be very profitable or fame-worthy, considering Earth's expansionist phase...

A bit more information on in-game stuff about this would be very much appreciated. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2012, 10:41:37 am »

I there any more captains going and can I get command of a ship. :) promise not to damage it too much.....
There are spaces. What route you want to go? Captain a commercial ship? A space station? A warship? Just get added and wait for a new command to open up?

Warship, ideally exploring but anything would be good. I've not actually played this game (not for lack of trying) but the let's plays are always so fun.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2012, 11:00:58 am »

Well, once the component are designed, the design need to be researched, right? Nix Labs may have access to the base tech, but not to the scientists needed to develop various variants. We do. McBay, a Haan Industries scientists researched the Micro Orion, and since it wasn't covered by our deal with Nix Labs, we own the patent (see McBay's working contract for details: He gets a percentage of profits done on his research, and a really good salary, but we have the patent). Sure, Nix Labs can copy our design, or just refuse to pay us, but we'll take them to court if they do.

(They are free to develop their own version of the Micro Orian tough).

Once the Mega Orion (civ drive) is ready, it'd be good to have Haan Industries engineers draw the blueprint for new versions of all the civilians ships using the Mega Orion.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2012, 11:02:08 am »

So...I can't use the Orion engine? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2012, 11:03:40 am »

Well, the Mil Spec engine is co-owned by both of us, feel free to use it (designing an upgraded version of the Enforcer may be a way to make a quick buck). But I own the Micro Orion and the Mega Orion. You can of course use them under licence, but you'll have to pay us royalties.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2012, 11:06:14 am »

Darn it. 

Goron?  Please have Nix Labs start researching genetics.  Field of expertise, might yield something valuable. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2012, 12:13:36 pm »

Well, I added you in as a character already, you can look at the traits in the post where I showed him.

Well dogmatic and listless fit pretty darn well.

*spits tobacco on the floor*

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2012, 09:04:02 pm »

August 13, 2036
After weeks of relative quite on earth, news of a new jump point discovery is making its rounds. About 3.5 billion kilometers at 165 degrees from the sun (~3.3 billion kilometers from earth at earth's closest orbit point), the jump point is significantly less accessible than the first one discovered.
Aside from the discovery not a lot has happen on earth recently. Captains are captaining, scientists are researching, and industry keeps on ticking. Nix Labs has shifted focus to Genome Sequence Research, Haan Industries has been struggling to get the government resources necessary to get a new engine design developed. Many blame a government ethics committee for interfering in Governor Perego's dealing with Haan Industries after a reported attempt to bribe the governor arose from the company. While no misconduct has been found out (yet...?) the governor has been, at least temporarily, barred from direct dealing with Haan Industries.
A majority of government resources have recently been granted to Pelland Research for military projects, despite the governor's statement that earth should focus on exploration and development and not to waste  resources on unnecessary military expenditures (that statement was made shortly before the ethics committee investigation).

August 21, 2036
Although unable to attaint he government resources to fully pursue the path desired by the company, Haan Industries did not just roll over and play dead. HI has self funded a new New Horizon space station. Once built, Governor Perego had little choice but to buy it and utilize it, making Haan's risky investment pay off.
The New Horizon will be towed to the others immediately.
Haan Industries is now utilizing its industrial capacity on government construction contracts, including work on new research labs.

November 16, 2036
A new jump point has been discovered. Located about 3.2 billion kilometers from the sun at 204 degrees, it is only 2.1 billion km from the last one.

November 21, 2036

The first Trans-Newtonian ground unit has been trained. The 91st Assault Infantry represents the progress of TN technology in ground warfare; an immense improvement form the low tech infantry that currently dominates the ground forces composition.

December 6, 2036
A big day for scientific progress!

Haan Industries has finally finished development of the Mega Orion engine. Haan can now utilize the engine in commercial ship designs.
Two recent research projects by Pelland Research have been leaked to the public. New variations of the DirecPoint line of sensors and targeting computers, little is known of their exact details, yet.

December 26, 2036
Number Leno of Pelland Research would like to introduce you all to the Amazon Missile Defense Satellite.
Code: [Select]
PR Amazon class Missile Defence Satellite    2,000 tons     134 Crew     292.28 BP      TCS 40  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 2-14     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 6
Maint Life 3.46 Years     MSP 91    AFR 32%    IFR 0.4%    1YR 12    5YR 174    Max Repair 48 MSP
Magazine 306   

PR - Titan Missile System X1 (6)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 10
PELLAND - DirecPoint MFC Mk2 (1)     Range 3.8m km    Resolution 1
PR Lancer Mk1 (306)  Speed: 13,600 km/s   End: 4.9m    Range: 4m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 72 / 43 / 21

PELLAND - DirecPoint Tracker (1)     GPS 48     Range 3.8m km    Resolution 1

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
Equipped with all new, state of the art technology, the Amazon is the essence of Earth Defense. At only 2,000 tons, it can be manufactured quickly and easily at almost any navy shipyard. It carries six Titan Missile Systems- The most advanced missile launch systems, developed exclusively by Pelland Research, they can fire a Lancer missile every 10 seconds. The lancer is a small, deadly, and accurate nuclear missile capable of engaging targets traveling high speeds- the Lancer itself has a top speed of 13,600 kilometers per second. You heard that right thirteen thousand kilometers per second. Equipped with 306 Lancers, the Amazon uses the brand new DirecPoint Tracker and Missile Fire Control to bring them on target. With a working range of 3.8 million kilometers, no threat on earth, or near earth, can go untouched.

(get your votes in for governor now, if you care)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:04:14 pm by Goron »

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2012, 07:59:54 am »

I strongly recommend putting some of those missile systems on my freighter!
I would love to teach some hippies a lesson.

Screwing with genes they say?
Screw with this missile! *kappcheeewwww*

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2012, 09:27:24 am »

I'll vote for Governor Perego. No more silly defense spending.

Do we have freighters and colony ships yet?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2012, 09:32:36 am »

Space is vast, and we just found a jump point, so who knows what's on the other side, but I can guarantee you there are going to be trans Newtonian elements there. Better safe then sorry so I'll throw my vote in for someone that does support defence funding.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2012, 09:33:02 am »

I vote for Mr Winford Hewlin.He seems like what Earth truly needs currently.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2012, 09:48:31 am »

Perego and Winford both seem very similar to me, and either being more focused on more practical building side than Mcbroom and so better suited for our current needs.
In which case my vote goes to Perego who seems more experienced in my view.

Although I'm willing to be bribed by anyone that can get me on a ship :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2012, 09:49:06 am »

Want a place on our Gate Builder?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2012, 09:51:20 am »

Sheb, you sly dog.   

Since Nix Labs doesn't have any ships ( that I know of ) I can't get Shades on board. 

Grrr......must wait for genetics breakthrough.  Humanity shall become unto the gods themselves!  With !!SCIENCE!!.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13