Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves refuse to eat  (Read 1096 times)

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
Dwarves refuse to eat
« on: August 21, 2007, 11:40:00 pm »

While playing in dwarf fortress mode, I made a moat around my entrance after the metalsmith arrives with the first anvil. I was bored and wanted to make a self-sufficient small dwelling. When the dwarven caravan arrived, I still noticed nothing (they may not have been eating even then, but I can't be sure). By the time the caravan was getting ready to leave (they never really came close anyway) I noticed all my dwarves were hungry. My usual setup was used, and eating was normally fine for them, so there's only two clues I have...

1: the meat was turtle meat, which I have not had before
2: I also had a jeweler's workshop being made, but no dwarf could reach it, even though it was perfectly accesible

Along with this, I thought maybe the caravan being unable to reach us made a glitch occur. I read the bug report and noticed a small one saying that dwarves didn't eat inside, but there was no explanation of why or when. Does anyone have an idea why the dwarves refuse to eat?

Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves refuse to eat
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:56:00 pm »

Turtle Meat needs to be prepared in a fishery before it can be eaten iirc.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:02:00 am »

turtle meat needs to be prepared? it's not like it's raw or anything, but oh well. I just noticed the topic about 45 topics back that had to do with this, maybe i shud've posted there but it's a little too late  :p . Anyways I read one of them saying that locking dwarves outside/inside would make them claim food, but all my dwarves had access to the food, and partially outside. Maybe they check a certain edge of the map? Like, if they can't reach the edge of the map by pathing they consider themselves indoors 24/7 or something.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 04:34:00 am »

Hi!

Have you modified any raws? Or did anything unusual happen during world creation or fortress creation?

It seems as if your path finding routines are failing, if you say the jeweller's shop can't be reached and they wouldn't eat. It is not something I have experienced myself, so there is not much I can help.

However, have you ever see them interact with the food (moving it to a stockpile)? Maybe try designating a new food stockpile and have the food moved from the old one there. See if they complain about not reaching it or anything.

Good luck.

Deathworks

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:26:00 am »

Hmm... I don't believe I have edited any raws, although this was the first game I played on the new world I made. I don't think it's the pathfinding either, I used a setup I've used dozens of times before, and when they were hunting for vermin they even went right on top of the food barrels, and still didn't eat! They also sometimes wandered right into the jeweler's workshop. There's only two differences about this game from others, and that's the food and the moat. Well, and the world of course... should I try generating a new world and try this again?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:26:00 pm »

Hi!

Well, I am not the greatest expert (having known and played the game only for a short time), but since you can create as many worlds as you like and have one fortress or adventurer on each without interefering with the others, I think you should try how things look on a new world. If the bug re-occurs, there is probably something wrong with your core files (raws or otherwise). I would suggest "re-installing" in that case (and in that case only).

But, as I said, I am not the most experienced here, so maybe you should wait for other tips before re-installing (although creating another world to check should be safe enough).

Deathworks

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »

well i have no saved games anyway, so re-installing couldn't hurt either. Thanks for the tips  :D

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »

Actually, I've had problems with the jeweler as well. The problem was it was only acessible from the left. So if I built it into a room wacing west the jeweler would be trapped. I then proceeded to build it in a east facing room and it worked fine. It seems it had a wall in it self.
"It's unpossible!"

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 02:03:00 am »

Hi!

Wait, you are saying they are hunting for vermin? Was there a time where you didn't have enough food? Once they start hunting vermin, they will not stop until they have caught something. If there is no vermin, they will starve right next to lavish meals and what not.

FaultyLogic: When you build a workshop or building, you get its zone marked by green 'X's during placement (red if the location isn't good), right? Note that there are two shades of green used: a light one and a dark one. The dark one are squares that will be blocked in the finished workshop/building.

Deathworks

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 08:19:00 pm »

no they had plenty of plump helmets and edible meat, they just, abruptly, refused to eat. Also, I did notice the jeweler has a wall on it's right, and I accidentally built it where once built it trapped a dwarf. I then tore it down and rebuilt it in a better location. Would that have anything to do with it? It was torn down and put back up before the dwarves began their immense diets however...

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 05:18:00 am »

A bit of an old post, But I may have a reason for this: I too had this problem. I found it was because the food had been blocked for a moment ( I had made a Moat as well, the dwarves were trapped on the wrong side of it for a short time ) And noted that one of the dwarves started spouting a bunch of pathfinding errors when trying to eat. It turns out that when this happens the food becomes claimed by that dwarf, and nobody but him can eat it even after the obstruction is removed. The only way I found to resolve this was by killing off the dwarf in question. I bring this post back from the grave as I believe it may be a bug worth looking in to.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 10:12:00 am »

I had a strange thing happen, not exactly like that, but maybe related. I was in my first winter on a glacier map, and my edible food got down to only the meat I had brought with me. For some reason the meat wasn't edible to any dwarves. Maybe it rotted at some point. They ate the fresh meat from the mules with no problem.

Anyway I didn't notice it til my miner went hunting for vermin (which didn't exist). I quickly set up a kitchen to cook the meat and everyone else gladly dug in. The miner eventually got tired and went to sleep, and when he woke up he was no longer hunting for vermin, and no longer hungry! I had written him off as a loss and the mason had prepared his coffin, but he was saved by some anti-bug.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Turgid Bolk:
<STRONG>I had a strange thing happen, not exactly like that, but maybe related. I was in my first winter on a glacier map, and my edible food got down to only the meat I had brought with me. For some reason the meat wasn't edible to any dwarves. Maybe it rotted at some point. They ate the fresh meat from the mules with no problem.

Anyway I didn't notice it til my miner went hunting for vermin (which didn't exist). I quickly set up a kitchen to cook the meat and everyone else gladly dug in. The miner eventually got tired and went to sleep, and when he woke up he was no longer hunting for vermin, and no longer hungry! I had written him off as a loss and the mason had prepared his coffin, but he was saved by some anti-bug.</STRONG>

I just got this same issue on another tundra map, I'll try making a butcher's shop and slaughtering my mules to see if it unsticks the food I brought.
edit: Ugh, all 7 of them are hunting for vermin, so I can't build anything. I think they're doomed.

edit again: Ok, being scared by a passing werewolf knocked 3 of them into behaving normally again, but the ensuing butchering and cooking didn't fix the other 4.

Aaaaand the others starved to death. Hmm.

[ October 03, 2007: Message edited by: BahamutZERO ]

Zorn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 11:36:00 pm »

One thing i just found out is if my dwarves are told not to go outdoors they wont eat the food i bought (but brought inside) at the start of the game, obviously a bug.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zorn:
<STRONG>One thing i just found out is if my dwarves are told not to go outdoors they wont eat the food i bought (but brought inside) at the start of the game, obviously a bug.</STRONG>
That seems to be what happened to me before.

Ah, this is probably it:

quote:
000343 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][cooking and food]    dwarves refuse to eat if everything is brought inside quickly and they are ordered to stay inside

[ October 05, 2007: Message edited by: BahamutZERO ]