Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: construction cancelled: site blocked by construction materials (solved)  (Read 1126 times)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile

i looked back 5 pages but didn't see anything similar.

i caused a minor cave in by removing floor tiles en-mass. this caused a kitchen (1st floor below) and a butcher shop (2nd floor below) to be destroyed. I cleaned up the derbies and rebuilt the floors and butcher shop fine but the kitchen keeps getting cancelled due to something blocking it. watching carefully i have deduced that the construction is being blocked by the mudstone block the dwarf brings to build the kitchen ("k" reveals nothing before or after designating the construction or even the mudstone block that was brought to the site)

I'm stumped.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:39:20 am by cganya »
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: construction cancelled: site blocked by construction materials
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:02:08 pm »

Not sure what your problem could be. Try mass-permitting and mass-undumping the tiles (found in the [d]->[b] menu), and if that doesn't do anything I'd just build it somewhere else.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:22:29 pm »

Look at your jobs screen look for any jobs that would use material in that site like burial of bodies that may have rotted to invisability. Cancel the job and the dwarf should be able to move the item out of the way.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:54:25 pm »

ok, i tried both things. there were no objects there that i could set for dumping (used dfhack to autodump after mass selecting the area for dumping. also looked through the job list and nothing out of the ordinary.

now this might be odd, i don't have much experience with using the "zoom to" command on announcements but when i zoom to the cancellation location it puts my cursor on a farm plot nearby the kitchen (wall plus about 3 tiles separating the two)
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 11:07:02 pm »

Was any of this built on ice?

Are any of the floor blocks forbidden where this is designated to be built?

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:13:47 pm »

Was any of this built on ice?

Are any of the floor blocks forbidden where this is designated to be built?

definatly not built on ice and how can you forbid a floor block? if can be done automatically then maybe thats it. how can i check?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:25:41 pm »

ok, i tried both things. there were no objects there that i could set for dumping (used dfhack to autodump after mass selecting the area for dumping. also looked through the job list and nothing out of the ordinary.
...And here's your problem. Memory hacking tools, such as dfhack, don't always clear the tags that tells the game that there's something there when they remove something. Your lazy memory hacking shenanigans has lead to the game thinking there's an item where there's not, and since you can't move no item, you can't get rid of that flag.

Usually, if there's any way to fix such a problem, it involves fixing the problem the "real" way. If there's a tile that the game thinks has magma, for instance, you hack in a 1/7-depth magma tile and let it evaporate normally. What you should try is covering the place where you want to put the workshops in whatever spare items you have, then letting those items get hauled away. It might not work, though. If it doesn't, your recourse should be to reload a save from before you so blatantly cheated and don't do it this time.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 11:45:14 pm »

how can you forbid a floor block?

You can forbid it by mass forbidding over the area (even if it is just one tile), or forbidding the blocks in your stocks screen (where you can also tell if others are forbidden) - no matter, though, I just tested and they'll build on top of a floor that is constructed with a forbidden block.

But, yeah, I think NecroRebel has it in that DFHack may have left some flags active.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 12:13:30 am »

strange that dfhack would have any effect on an area i never used it on (the floor beneath was built with mudstone blocks rather than being smoothed natural rock so nothing for me to autodump). tbh i only use it for autodump and dig veins and nothing else. call it blatant cheating if you like, i don't think its related to this strange occurrence (otherwise i wouldn't have been able to build the first kitchen)

no it probably has something to do with the cave in.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 12:22:17 am »

hmm, not sure why but de-constructing all the floor tiles then rebuilding them and the kitchen seems to have worked. if i ever have a multi-story cave-in take out a workshop again i'll have to see if it causes the same problem again.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: construction cancelled: site blocked by construction materials (solved)
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 07:11:07 am »

edit: nope. nevermind.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:20:20 am by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 05:19:47 pm »

DFhack can absolutely ruin your game. I played with the 'reveal' cheat on and that rendered some of the tiles permanently dark, unwalkable and unmineable. Pausing, using reveal, then doing unreveal, and finally unpausing is safe as far as I can tell.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 05:27:27 pm »

yup

also, some commands at the wrong moment crash the game

using prospect all (don't use reveal) is valid for me. No serious mining expedition would set out on "yeah we're certain there is metal there". A good metal working race would have a report saying more like "we found strong traces of iron, copper and gold, possibly some silver" (native gold, tetrahedrite, hematite) and then go there. If the report was "we found strong traces of lead, tin, zinc and some silver" (sphalerite, galena, cassiterite) they would hesitate and serious rethink their options

I use autodump on items stuck on top of trees or inside fortifications, things like that, and to occasionally clean the map, units and items, to prevent fps death and to reduce the amount of info the game is memorizing. 100 dwarfs, splattered freely with blood and all teir clothing too, is.... well, lets say 27 clothing per dwarf, 10 toes and fingers, 2 hands, feet, lower leg/arm, upper leg/arm, lower body, upper body, neck, upper and lower lip, 2 eyes, 2 eye lids, nose, jaw, 2 ears. Teeth too. Let's keep it at roughly 40 partitions. that is 67 x 100 entries in the memory. And THAT is only if they all had just one creature bleed all over them. If it was more, they can have blood of several creatures on them

let's wash it off at the well

now everyone has it just on the boots, but from all the hundreds of creatures that left blood on anything. They'll keep washing it off regularly, making sure it won't disappear and spreads all over. That's why FB with poisonous spittle or blood and such are so much fun

dfhack
clean items
clean units
clean map

once there is a solution that doesn't kill my game, I'll use it
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:46:48 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 09:18:13 pm »

thanks for the tips about dfhack, i dont plan on using it to reveal any map tiles though. the cleaning function does sound interesting as i do have a good bit of lag going.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 10:18:31 pm »

+1 for the dfcleanmap (or whatever it is in the lastest version of DFhack).  It is awesome.  So is the autodump - I've used it regularly for about 8 forts and never had a problem caused by it.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.
Pages: [1] 2