Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doesn't Run  (Read 523 times)

Robubie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Doesn't Run
« on: August 21, 2007, 06:48:00 pm »

yea i try opening it and it just doesnt run, well if i ctrl+alt+del it shows it running as a process but i can never see it, anyone know how ot fix this problem or anything.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doesn't Run
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 06:52:00 pm »

You're going to have to give some more details - are you not getting anything but the process at all? Are you getting just a blank screen, or not even that?

What are your computer stats?

Are your drivers all up to date?

Robubie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:56:00 pm »

yea ok im running vista and when i run it its as if its not running at all, all my drivers are up to date.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 07:15:00 pm »

Did you extract the zip into a folder?  Do you have a data folder in there?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Robubie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 07:21:00 pm »

yep i extracted it and everything is in there i even had a friend send me his folder and even that didn't work.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 11:40:00 pm »

I don't know how much this might help, but another forum I frequent had this information about how to get a program to work with Vista.
quote:
OK, I have some new information that might help with these Vista problems.

I think the problem is with something in Vista called DEP (Data Execution Prevention). It appears that DEP is being enabled by default on new Vista machines, and it might be getting turned on by a new Vista patch.

To see if DEP is enabled on your Vista system:

1) Press Win+R to open the Run dialog box.
2) Type "SystemPropertiesDataExecutionPrevention" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
3) Click Continue, if prompted by User Account Control.
4) Under Performance, click Settings.
5) In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Data Execution Prevention tab. If your processor supports this feature, a sentence to that effect appears in the lower part of the dialog box.

You can turn off DEP for user applications by selecting the option "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only". Then click OK and close all of the dialog windows. Then you MUST REBOOT for this change to take effect.

After turning off DEP and rebooting, then try running the program to see if it works.

If the program works and you don't want to leave DEP turned off, you can go back into the DEP dialog and select the option: "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" and then click the Add button and add the program EXE to the list of exceptions (and make sure there the checkbox next to the EXE gets checked). You'll again need to click OK and again need to Reboot to save the changes.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 09:00:00 pm »

I don't think Data Execution Prevention is at fault here.  I'm using DEP with a CPU that fully supports it, and I haven't had even a hint of an issue running the game.  I don't have Vista; I'm using XP service pack 2.

Note that DEP is a good thing.  It is one more defense against your computer being hacked.  I highly recomend leaving it on for all programs except the specific one that has a problem.  If you turn it off for testing, don't forget to turn it back on.

0x517A5D