Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Invincible Titan?  (Read 1433 times)

Owly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invincible Titan?
« on: January 29, 2012, 03:48:03 pm »

Recently, a titan came to my fortress... I sent my military after it, and now, although its head is "fractured" and its upper body is "torn apart", it still refuses to die and continues to slaughter any civilians who venture outside. Is it truly invincible? If so, what should I do? I would prefer not to wall my fort off from the rest of the world forever...
!!Emergency Irrigation!!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Invincible Titan?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 03:53:43 pm »

In the current version, randomly generated creatures shouldn't be invincible, just close to it. Spears are great for most of them, but you'll probably lose alot of dwarves before you get a good hit in.

Alternatively, you could try to stun it and capture it in a cage trap, lock it in a room somewhere and keep it for later, or cause a cavein on top of it.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Owly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 03:57:29 pm »

In the current version, randomly generated creatures shouldn't be invincible, just close to it. Spears are great for most of them, but you'll probably lose alot of dwarves before you get a good hit in.

Alternatively, you could try to stun it and capture it in a cage trap, lock it in a room somewhere and keep it for later, or cause a cavein on top of it.

I had heard that. However, this titan seems to lack organs. It's also made of gold, for some reason, do you think that might have something to do with it?
!!Emergency Irrigation!!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 04:14:59 pm »

Yeah. When titans are made of stronger materials then they are much harder to kill. Just pray that you never get an adamantine titan. :P ANyways what type of weapons are you using? If you have any steel one then you might want to break out those as they are for sure able to penetrate the titan's defenses.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Owly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:41:57 pm »

Yeah. When titans are made of stronger materials then they are much harder to kill. Just pray that you never get an adamantine titan. :P ANyways what type of weapons are you using? If you have any steel one then you might want to break out those as they are for sure able to penetrate the titan's defenses.
Unfortunately my embark site lacks flux stone... Anything to do other than seal my fort off forever?
(and wait for the unexpecting caravans and migrants to die horrible, painful deaths)
!!Emergency Irrigation!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 05:43:12 pm »

You could try building a piano above its head with lots of walls, floors e.t.c., then deconstructing the only support....

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 06:37:12 pm »

Cave-ins will kill it. Magma might kill it, but FBs might all be magma-proof - I know that some other random beasts are.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 06:37:57 pm »

Cave-ins will kill it. Magma might kill it, but FBs might all be magma-proof - I know that some other random beasts are.

Just the ones made out of obviously magma proof materials, like steel e.t.c.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 11:41:03 pm »

I've heard that even a magma-proof titan can be killed by covering it in magma and then casting that magma into an obsidian block by adding water.  I’ve never tried it myself though so it could be bogus info.  It's also a hell of a lot of work to make sure you cast it and only it into a block of obsidian.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 05:09:46 am »

build a place with a death trap like the collapsing ceiling and lure the titan there, then lock it in, then kill it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 07:21:35 am »

Just lock it between two bridges, leaving the option to open it's way out as will. A vile force of evil has arrived!--> RELEASE THE KRAKEN!
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 08:35:42 am »

Easiest option is to either Abandon Fortress (haha), or make a separate room w/ a bait animal and lock the titan inside. Best way to lock them is a hatch covering a pit and lifting the hatch to un-cover the pit which it can't go across (assuming it doesn't fly). A door/bridge locking will just be broken by a building destroyer.

Side personal note: I had a titan made of mud/dust something like that, and my kitten pawed it to death. Adorable and annoying at the same time, cause I was all jacked up to send my artifact weapons at it.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 09:01:03 am »

Easiest option is to either Abandon Fortress (haha), or make a separate room w/ a bait animal and lock the titan inside. Best way to lock them is a hatch covering a pit and lifting the hatch to un-cover the pit which it can't go across (assuming it doesn't fly). A door/bridge locking will just be broken by a building destroyer.

Side personal note: I had a titan made of mud/dust something like that, and my kitten pawed it to death. Adorable and annoying at the same time, cause I was all jacked up to send my artifact weapons at it.

Aren't raised bridges indestructible?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 09:17:54 am »

yes, and as far as I noticed also from the "inside", or at least very hard to destroy. A squad of trols ended siege before they managed to detroy it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 10:31:52 am »

given that you have wounded it you should be able to kill it by cuting its head off.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: [1] 2