Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting oppertunity  (Read 622 times)

TheGazebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interesting oppertunity
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:52:10 am »

Hey all. Long time lurker, first time poster so bear with me  ;D. I've been playing my fortress for about four years now but have yet to encounter a single goblin. They appear on the civ screen but haven't sent even a single snatcher. Elves, human and dwarvern caravans seem to be unaffected.

This means that the surface is completely safe for Urist McMegaproject. The fortress main entrance is built into the side of a mesa and is only accesible via a narrow path with some basic defences.

So anywho, i wanted to see if the forum had any ideas on huge surface-based anti-hippie devices i can build and test on caravans until the elves send something a bit more Fun.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting oppertunity
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:00:35 am »

Hm... The goblin race might be near-extinct. Or on another continent. There's also a rare chance your civs are friendly (thought that usually brings goblin caravans).

Oh, FYI. Starting a war with elves or humans is a bit harder in this version. I theorise the fastest way to actually do it is have your military butcher them over and over, but that's not quite a fun as using magnificent traps. My personal favourite is the Icemachine; you need to be on a freezing biome for it to work.

Essentially, it's a long corridor that is also above ground. One wall is a raise-bridge, with water behind it. On the pull of a lever, the wall goes down, the water floods the corridor and at that very instant anything caught inside is encased in ice, dead but their items still intact. Just raise the bridge and mine away the ice for free stuff!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:04:44 am »

Let one merchant of whatever escape each time.

Also, since there are no goblins, make no doors, bridges and always have an entrance into your fortress without traps.

TheGazebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 09:19:15 am »

The actual entrance to my fortress is only guarded by dorfs right now: no traps. I needed all my metal for the military. The mountain path to the fortress has a few weapon traps and chained animals to work as an early warning system.

The militia is a bit undertrained right now due to the lack of hostiles, I am hoping to be able to overwhelm any seiges through numbers and masterwork weapons and armour.

Hm... The goblin race might be near-extinct. Or on another continent. There's also a rare chance your civs are friendly (thought that usually brings goblin caravans).

Oh, FYI. Starting a war with elves or humans is a bit harder in this version. I theorise the fastest way to actually do it is have your military butcher them over and over, but that's not quite a fun as using magnificent traps. My personal favourite is the Icemachine; you need to be on a freezing biome for it to work.

Essentially, it's a long corridor that is also above ground. One wall is a raise-bridge, with water behind it. On the pull of a lever, the wall goes down, the water floods the corridor and at that very instant anything caught inside is encased in ice, dead but their items still in
tact. Just raise the bridge and mine away the ice for free stuff!

I don't really know where are the goblins are but I don't really mind, !!elves!! Are way more fun. I have some bridges built into the mountain path that can raise to throw invaders into a gorge below, I was planning on seizing the caravans usefuls then hurling them 30 z levels into the river. Is that likely to start a war after a few years?

Sadly I didn't embark on a freezing biome but that ice machine sounds awesome. I will have to try that out on my next fort
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:21:14 am by TheGazebo »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:22:11 am »

You arent gong to be getting a war with the elves without them having a diplomat. However, it is pretty easy to mod one in. Go have a look in the modding subforum.
This is a blank sig.