Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Last Butterfly  (Read 1529 times)

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
The Last Butterfly
« on: January 29, 2012, 02:14:47 am »

So I had this siege show up and try to get through a hole in the top of my Depot/Archer station which is connected to my archery range and the rest of the fortress. The Marksdwarfs had, despite being stationed, left the tower to switch armor. So I threw my two squads of dwarf infantry at about 50 goblins and trolls streaming into my archery range and successfully repelled the attack a cost of four dwarves. During the crises 3 dwarves gained titles one of which Litast Furnacewane the Competitive Just Mother a name which kind of makes sense, with 11 kills did not survive. The other was Kubuk Bitewhips the Incenses of Leading pretty typical nonsensical name surviving with 7 kills in that one sortie. Finally there was Asmel Urmimerush Ulolcomnith or rather Asmel Swamhandle the Last Butterfly Butterflies being particularly vicious and the last of its kind even more so, killing 7 in a single engagement. Its the best title I've seen for a fighting dwarf in a long time.  8)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Butterfly
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 02:29:45 am »

Wasn't there a monarch butterfly that killed a crapload of dwarves in Boatmurdered by jamming a door open while they bumrushed the elephants?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 02:36:12 am »

Yeah I thought of that too, I can't think of the number of times a kitten has dropped something in a critical doorway right when the goblins show up.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 04:32:22 am »

He deserves a shrine, and I hope he gets a huge story behidn him. Can't let that name go to waste.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 04:53:20 am »

There are butterflies who eat carrion, so the title is appropriate for dwarven recruits who equip armor picked off of rotten old bodies that have been outside all summer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud-puddling

Also, famously, butterflies begin as caterpillars and you know the whole routine with that. There are a lot of ways it makes sense as a character's title. It's a cool name.

I hope you find out what the dwarf names its equipment.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 05:27:55 am »

Wasn't there a monarch butterfly that killed a crapload of dwarves in Boatmurdered by jamming a door open while they bumrushed the elephants?

I just finished reading it, and there was a butterfly in the way, but a burning corpse ultimately took it down.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.